[Red Box Hack] You! Why didn't you tell me?

edited March 2008 in Story Games
Okay, I mean, you talked about this thing. Like, a lot. But I was busy. People, you should have grabbed me BY THE FACE and put this right in front of me.

Because I now have no choice but to run this, and screw around with it. It is that cool.

I need someone to blame for getting in on this really late, and I'm blaming you.

YOU!

Comments

• Fine. Well, so much for your Christmas present (sound of breaking glass). So there.
  • I blame Ryan, too.

~Andrew
  • It's a fair cop.
  • edited March 2008
    Yea cuz he didn't have like a hundred post; how am I supposed to notice if there are only what, 28 posts three or four people already trying to make their own version and a website.

Ryan - keep up the good and open work and evenually someone will notice ;7)
  • Late? Late? You're not late Levi. In fact, you're still a bit early. I mean, the game isn't even finished baking yet. Late will be the folks who come to the game after I decide I'm done writing it but who still want input on what should be in it. You've still got time. I don't plan to finish the thing 'till mid-summer at the earliest.

• Levi, you're way early. I really want to get into RBH, but I can't until someone runs it for me. Adam Flynn and Robert Ahrens, I'm looking directly at you.
  • Sorry. I still don't really know about it. Every thread I've seen has been about a hack to the hack or something, and the web page links usually take me to a blog.
  • The game PDF is on the blog. The link just doesn't jump out at ya.
  • Hey, a .pdf! Now I will read it!
  • edited March 2008
    Levi, I blame you for my lack of exposure to RBH. I think you need to come to my house on Friday and run this.

Edit: And if you don't, I will continue to blame you. There. You've been warned.

James
  • Posted By: Eric ProvostLate? Late? You're not late Levi. In fact, you're still a bit early. I mean, the game isn't even finished baking yet. Late will be the folks who come to the game after I decide I'm done writing it but who still want input on what should be in it. You've still got time. I don't plan to finish the thing 'till mid-summer at the earliest.
    Dude, the sheer mass of stuff I have sitting around that dovetails with this in my head is utterly unspeakable; I just spent my entire workday slotting ideas in and out from my bag of light-fantasy-game ideas that I've never been able to make work, and most of them do. For me. Thing is, I have absolutely no idea if any of it would work for you, even remotely.
  • Posted By: blankshieldLevi, I blame you for my lack of exposure to RBH. I think you need to come to my house on Friday and run this.

Edit: And if you don't, I will continue to blame you. There.You've been warned.

James
    This... may well be do-able.
  • Posted By: John HarperThe game PDF is on the blog. Thelinkjust doesn't jump out at ya.
    Awesome, thanks!

Note: In the attempt to download, I find that, since it's trying to overwrite a file, I already had it (which brings to mind that this happened last time I thought, oh hey a PDF for this thing, cool!). Ah, you can lead a horse to water....

Well, at least this time, I have the time to take a drink.
  • I couldn't stop myself.

I made a Red Cog Hack, for my setting. I changed... er. Most of it, actually, but it's still really damn obvious where it came from.
  • Posted By: Levi KornelsenPosted By: blankshieldLevi, I blame you for my lack of exposure to RBH. I think you need to come to my house on Friday and run this.

Edit: And if you don't, I will continue to blame you. There.You've been warned.

James
    This... may well be do-able.

Actually, before you decide to show up, let me find out if we're doing Nine Worlds this week. Our schedule did weird things last week.

James
  • Posted By: Levi KornelsenI couldn't stop myself.

I made aRed Cog Hack, for my setting. I changed... er.Mostof it, actually, but it's still really damn obvious where it came from.
    Curse you Kornelsen *shakes fist*

Like I needed another game I want to play.
  • Posted By: LinnaeusCurse you Kornelsen *shakes fist*

Like I needed another game I want to play.
    Man, I swear to you that thing wrote itself. I read the hack, and pretty suddenly shit in may head started to snap together.

-"Stress" is reversed from hit points so that you can do "fallout" tricks with it, if the mood takes you. I think about fallout tricks constantly, and had that chunk of rules just sitting there in my brainpan. It slotted in while I was reading RBH.

-The change to universal 2d6 is because I wanted it to be something everyone will have dice for. Which came from my attempts to write a game called "Old Skool", all of which sucked.

-Changes to combat maneuvers were from a Pokethulhu Hack floating around in my head, from a ways back.

-The Mastermind Assets? Go look at the End Boss fights in video games. They're direct rips. 'Cuz I was playing Sly Cooper two nights ago.

I didn't engineer that re-hack. I just tinkertoyed it together, and IT ALL FIT. So fucking strange.
  • Sweet. Another 2d6-er. :)
  • (Something I missed in my last post)

-The "You have an edge when..." bits are there so a group could choose to "compel" in reverse - the Guide says "Hey, I'll let you drop a point of stress if you do this thing you have an edge for".

(That's not in the game text, but was in my head. I should edit that in. Or you can, if you like it; rules text is in saveable form blocks, so you can just rewrite rules text want changed, and save it.)
  • Posted By: Levi Kornelsenrules text is in saveable form blocks, so you can just rewrite rules text want changed, and save it.
    DUDE. That is a great idea.
  • Posted By: John HarperDUDE. That is a great idea.
    *Bows*

There's yet more weirdness on the horizon. Would you like an adventure-creator PDF with drop-down tables of random elements (or type in your own)? That, hopefully, is next.
  • Why yes. Yes I would. Where do I subscribe to your newsletter?
  • I have heard only exciting things about Red Box Hack. Sadly, I am unable to download the PDF from the site. Every time I try, it turns into an HTML file full of gibberish.

I'm not sure if the PDF itself is whacked, or if my computer is the problem (Mac Mini running Safari), but if anyone would be willing to a) point me to another place I can download this game, or b) email me the PDF of the rules, I would be super grateful.

Thanks.
  • Hiya Brian. The PDF is working fine for me. Not sure what to tell you there.

If all else fails, you can drop me an email and I'll shoot a copy out to you. You can find my address in my profile here at SG.

-Eric

• I've been running Swords & Wizardry which has been pretty fun, but there's always this niggling in the back of my brain that says "this would be more fun if it was Red Box Hack."
  • Hi Levi,
    I get an "Address Not Found" error. My browser (Firefox) says I'm going to http://cogwars.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=2. Am I doing anything wrong?
  • Got the PDF, Eric, thank you. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Between your game and Storming the Wizard's Tower, that ten-by-ten-foot room filled with kobolds is doomed.
  • Posted By: BWAGot the PDF, Eric, thank you. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Between your game and Storming the Wizard's Tower, that ten-by-ten-foot room filled with kobolds is doomed.
    QFT.
  • Posted By: Saint&SinnerHi Levi,
    I get an "Address Not Found" error. My browser (Firefox) says I'm going to http://cogwars.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=2. Am I doing anything wrong?
    Yeh. That site is gone; I have a new one coming, but also a full-time-plus job hocking video games, so it'll be a bit.