"Play this with everything!" Question

(Listed under directed promotion because, well, I'm working on a project and thinking about these option for it).

Let us say that a new game thing came out, with a community site launched to support it. A setting, premise, and so on, all online, downloadable.

This hypothetical community might...

(1)...present a whole game, with a solid (though not necessarily genius) set of core rules set up as "official", but encourage variant rules and setting bits, as variants.

(2)...present the premise, the kinds of characters, and the setting - but play down the rules, so that the "official" rules got no more real attention than any other set, and again, more creations were encouraged.

All other things being equal, which of those would make you interested in taking part? Or is there some other variation on those that would make you sit up even more?

...And Why?

Comments

• Levi, if part of the goal is to shatter the "play our setting/game with rule set X," the quickest and easiest way to do that is to offer two systems that have no overlap (no "the complex set" and "the simple quickplay set"). Then at least link to, if not publish on the site, additional rule sets that other folks make use of.
  • Isn't this, roughly speaking, what Clinton's done with his TSoY wiki?
  • Posted By: Josh Ballyhoo RobyLevi, if part of the goal is to shatter the "play our setting/game with rule set X," the quickest and easiest way to do that is to offertwosystems that have no overlap (no "the complex set" and "the simple quickplay set"). Then at least link to, if not publish on the site, additional rule sets that other folks make use of.
    Hrm. That's not exactly the goal...

Goal #1: To make it plain to everyone that while I am developing a way to play in the world that is cool and good, the stuff others make, and the rules they use, to play in the world are equally awesome. I want people on the site to generally be, and feel like, peers.

Goal #2: Conversions to different sets of rules that work well bring new stuff to the table. They highlight different things in the game world in new ways, and they are great advertising for both sides of the equation. I would very much love to put the word out among the SotC community, for example, that a well-done "play this with SotC" write-up will be not only welcomed, but read, applauded, and treated as worthy of thanks from myself... Because it would be.

...Despite which? The suggestion has a lot of merit. I'll think on that. Thanks!
  • Posted By: JarrodIsn't this, roughly speaking, what Clinton's done with his TSoY wiki?
    Er... which one?
  • They both sound interesting, and I'd make my decision primarily on the community involved.
  • I think this project would depend on the popularity of the game setting material. Like Rifts or Glorantha would get more people playing it and devising alternate rules.

Or LotR, which people play with all sorts of systems already, right? Something like that.