Point me towards 'Bring It On!' - the RPG?

edited January 2008 in Story Games
Like the title says - is there an RPG out there that is perfect for those annoyingly enjoyable teen high school comedies like Bring It On, American Pie etc.?

Neil

Comments

• Is somebody going to slap me if I say PTA? Because, dang.
  • I haven't yet played it, but Best Friends seems ideal.
  • Teenagers from Outer Space is the first edition.

Hero High is the second edition.

Strip out the weirdness and both are great sourcebooks for teenaged RP. Don't strip out the weirdness, though. Seriously.
  • I've played one of these with FATE and had it work pretty well. Gotta pick the right kinds of skill lists and Aspects, and liberal use of Scene Aspects is a given.

I think Best Friends is going to do a different subgenre (blacker comedy) a bit better. PTA can do anything, but tends soap over romp.

TFOS is still a gold standard in terms of good advice about style and structure. "Having sex isn't funny. NOT having sex is funny."
  • I think In a Wicked Age is a good go-to for this. Driving characters against each other toward possibly-insane goals? Check.
  • edited January 2008
    I don't think there's an obvious option, Neil. What aspect of the movies do you want to emulate? If it's the comedy, that's hard, because indie RPGs are all serious and humourless.

Best Friends would be my best bet too. It tends to drive comedy. (Not so much PTA, for me).

Also, Lacuna. I don't really mean that, but I always say Lacuna when someone asks for a game recommendation.

Graham
  • I don't know why you guys think PTA is serious. Just pick issues that are funny, or address them in hilarious ways! I've done more comedies with PTA than I have dramas.
  • Posted By: Graham W

Also, Lacuna. I don't really mean that, but I always say Lacuna when someone asks for a game recommendation.

Graham
    Dude... Blue City High!
    "I climbed this ladder to look in Mary Sue's window... and she was taking off her shirt... and then my heart rate went too high and I had to punch out."

Get me TonyLB on the line, stat!
  • Posted By: JDCorleyI don't know why you guys think PTA is serious. Just pick issues that are funny, or address them in hilarious ways! I've done more comedies with PTA than I have dramas.
    This may be a bit OT, but I think we're seeing a fissure in comedy here. Some comedy is character-focused - it is about how absurd characters respond to a stressful situation, OR about how stressed-out characters respond to an absurd situation. Other comedy is situation-focused - it all about the absurd situation + (optionally) the absurd characters, and putting them through their paces in order to deliver laughs. The latter kind of comedy derives a lot of its effectiveness from its use and abuse of commonplaces, social norms, and gags. The former is much more about engaging the emotional response of the audience to either condemn the character (and therefore relish their suffering) or identify with the character (and therefore achieve a cathartic experience by displacing their own anxieties onto the character and laughing at themselves).

PTA is better at the character-focused kind of comedy, because it's an intensely character-focused game.
  • I donno, does the hilarity of Seinfeld come from the self-absorption of the characters or the absurdity of their situations? I think without either one, the gear just keeps spinning. I can't really draw the distinction that way.

To bring it back to the teen comedy thing, what is funnier, high school or high schoolers? I don't know, one without the other doesn't seem nearly the same thing as both together.
  • Best Friends really concentrates on the petty hatreds between teen girls. So it might not cast as wide a net as you want if you are looking for more of a general high school angst angle.

But using Best Friends to game a high school cheerleading squad in distress?? GAME ON!!
  • A cheerleader hack for Contenders, perhaps?
  • Thanks for all of the suggestions folks

Why am I asking? Well, I got bushwhacked by 'Bring It On' last night (again - oh the hardship) and I was looking at it from an RP pov (for once) and I reckoned that it and it's ilk could make a really cool game. And I really do love those American High School films. John Hughes has a lot to answer for!

I was just checking out whether there was anything out there - Best Friends did cross my mind and PTA. A hack for Contenders sounds .... delightful.

Thanks for the help again - appreciate it

Neil
  • Fred, that would be awful. In the best way. I'm ashamed of myself for not thinking of that.
  • Panty Explosion could work very well if you turn the supernatural dial down.
  • edited January 2008
    Posted By: Jason MorningstarFred, that would beawful.In the best way. I'm ashamed of myself for not thinking of that.
    I'm on the fence as to whether you play an individual cheerleader, or a cheerleader *troupe*, in it -- if it's the latter case, there are some really interesting places to go with it, though I worry that it might depersonalize things a bit.

As to thinking of it, really, I was just thinking along the lines of "what's the go-to game for competitive sports roleplay?" :)

EDIT: On my life, this hack would need to be titled "Spirit Fingers"
  • Yeah, a Contenders hack is nothing short of brilliance. I think it might be more interesting playing individual cheerleaders who are trying to make the "bigtime" (i.e. Varsity, All-State, Pros, etc.). There are always individual and group tryouts to dominate the other cheer girls.

But looking at the specifics, a lot of it makes sense:

Pain? Hope? Rep? Check.
    Cash is iffy unless it's a private school maybe? Perhaps it could turn into Influence which is earned from other scenes and cheer battles and used to work the Connections?

Technique, Power and Conditioning all work. Cover could turn into whether you can keep from getting injured doing the crazy stunts.

But what I love are the possibilities for Connections. Going after another girl's boyfriend to keep her from getting the Hope she needs to defeat you? B*tch!!

Reference Cheerleader Nation and Making the Squad
  • Hi!
    DitV aka Cheerleaders in the Lunch Room

j/k, someone has to say it, the escalation could be, Acting angsty, talking, being cool and Loosing your cool, lol

Seriously, my first thought was Panty Explosion, but I think PTA would work for a game with any number of sessions.
    Dave M
    Author of Legends of Lanasia (Still in Beta)