In A Wicked Age: Hellboy BPRD

edited January 2008 in Story Games
The Hellboy BPRD Oracle is up on Abulafia now.

A professor of linguistics, struck dumb by the alien runes he has inscribed.
A security professional, assigned to protect an initiate wizard during her journey to her new master.
The daughter of a great sorcerer, nearing the consummation of her betrothal to a terrible entity.
Three .45 caliber bullets, cast from the nails of the One True Cross.

You might consider tweaking the Six Forms like this: With Knowledge, With Power, Covertly, Directly, For Others, For Myself

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Thanks. And dude, your edits, like, totally broke my Oracle. Make your own, Fool!

Edit: Fixed now.
  • Ta-Da! Morningstar Edition.

I added a note to the 'discussion' tab of the original about editing policy for that table.

Thanks for adding this, John - I was looking forward to seeing it and it didn't disappoint!
  • Cool. Thanks, Dave.
  • edited January 2008
    As noted on your talk page, I got a little extra excited - sorry.
  • "A willful and lovely angel fallen to earth, speaking of war.
    A floating, disembodied head, jealous of the living, seeking a new body.
    A floating, disembodied head, jealous of the living, seeking a new body.
    The daughter of a great sorcerer, nearing the consummation of her betrothal to a terrible entity.

Bonus entries if you need them:

The last of her family line, destined to finally accomplish the revenge due an ancient evil."

uh... two doubles? Also, I only got this set after clicking until I no longer had the "professor of ancient languages" one... which took some time. Is this working right?

That said, this is solid gold.
  • Two heads are better than one!

*cough*

Okay, that said, is there any way to view the list of all possible options?
  • Sam, yes, it selects each element separately, so doubles are possible. Double doubles like you saw should be rare. No getting around that at present, unfortunately.

Ben, you can see all the possibilities by clicking 'edit' at the top. You'll need a login to do so; unfortunate, but it helps keep the wiki-spammers out.

John,

It seems to me that Hellboy IaWA would be like Conan-IaWA, where Hellboy appears every time and the oracle elements are for everyone else. Is that what you had in mind?
  • Jason: No worries, man! I liked what you were doing with the mad-lib style randomization, but the results were screwy sometimes, so I axed it.

Dave: Yeah, you could do Hellboy as Conan-style. But you don't really need to have Hellboy show up at all. The BPRD stories work fine without him. Either way is good, I think.
  • This is brilliant and very evocative. However, how does one make sure that there are some paranormal investigators in the story (to make it faithfully Hellboy and/or BPRD)? Are they always implied?
  • Well, there's a few ways that could work:

One, paranormal investigators will be implied by several elements of the Oracle.

Two, if you and your players want to make sure those investigators are in each episode, they should gravitate towards them and protect their places on the Owe list.

If you do this the worst case scenario in terms of missing investigators is that they'll be missing for the first session or two. That would mean that the first two sessions are like "Issue 0" of a comic, where you're seeing the paranormal elements playing with each other and the hapless citizenry before the investigators start showing up in Issue 01.

Jeeze this game looks cool. I NEED to get playing some kind of IAWA.
  • Posted By: pedyoThis is brilliant and very evocative. However, how does one make sure that there are some paranormal investigators in the story (to make it faithfully Hellboy and/or BPRD)? Are they always implied?
    Well, the thing about HellBoy is that just about anything could be an investigator. So take Ignotus's results. The angel, disembodied head, and the sorcerer's daughter could all be investigators - or even something like them (like the Angel speaking of war came to speak of war because his fellow angel is an investigator).

But I would also simply make them implied, too. So anyone could be an investigator with, perhaps, the stipulation that they're pretty much a normal human unless the Oracle suggests otherwise.