[Design Duel] Help Torture The Noobs!

edited December 2007 in Story Games
George and I have decided to go to war with one another over incountable perceived slights and overboasted threats... But we need your help!

Here's all we need from you wonderful folks. Whisper to northerain and/or myself something that will need to be in the RPG, whether it be a game mechanic, a hook, character creation, story element, whatever. GIve us something terrible. Terrible. And we're shooting for quantity.

You have the next few days to ruin the lives of two, count em, two intimidated noobs who have never finished a game. Crush our pride.

Comments

• I can't wait til we post this list and you people realize what you've done! And yet... I desire more. More.
  • I already whispered my contribution, would you like it again here for the sake of completeness?
  • Posted By: King TurnipI already whispered my contribution, would you like it again here for the sake of completeness?
    I got it, no problems!
  • Well, we've got a pretty damn nasty list here. List closes at midnight, and George and I will set about our tasks. Anyone else wanna help a little?
  • I got a few too, we should try and agree on using some of them.
  • Hey guys, we've got the finishing touches now, thanks to a blitzkrieg this morning. We'll have the final weird, weird list up soon, I'm sure.
  • Okay... I hate you guys. Here's the master list:

Mechanics:
    Armor Class
    Magic 8 Ball Resolution Mechanics
    Tarot-based Conflicts
    Numberless Character Creation
    Paper Currency
    Custom Dictionary
    Monty Python bargaining (one person tries to sell low, the other tries to buy high)
    Caters to "schadenfreude," or suffering-of-others-as-entertainment

Story Elements:
    Childbirth
    Bad Daytime Television
    Infomercials
    Lovecraft's racism and anti-semitism; Classism in Tolkien
    Caves as a Hook; tension between people in too-cramped conditions
    The Library of Babel, as described by Borges

...Yeah. George and I are, against our better judgment, trying to include every single one of these atrocities. Wish us luck.
  • We're going to use ALL of these elements. Oh yes. The point is to create a fun and playable game.
    I must warn you know, what I'm creating is really really offensive and will probably land me in jail or hospital.
    Thanks.
  • Weird, you omitted mine.
  • edited December 2007
    Not on purpose Jason, I was merely using it as a resolute piece of advice. I believe the quote is:

"Give us something terrible. Terrible. And we're shooting for quantity."

Story Element: Alice Roosevelt Longworth.

We're on it.
  • We aren't getting alot of buzz around this little contest and that sucks yo. I thought I'd update the thread during the contest with some teaser and whatnot.
    For now, I can give you a title for my rpg. ''Cthulhu Gangsta''. Yo.
  • What's the deadline for the contest?
  • Friday. We're just getting started. It's absolute madness!
  • Can we say Friday, with an extra 2 days for polishing and playtesting? I don't know anything about making pdfs and it's going to be a bitch.
  • LOL yeah, good call, cuz I was gonna ask you to make the .pdf for me.
  • Try PDFCreator or PrimoPDF.
  • Posted By: Jarrod

Story Elements:
    Childbirth
    Bad Daytime Television
    Infomercials
    Lovecraft's racism and anti-semitism; Classism in Tolkien
    Caves as a Hook; tension between people in too-cramped conditions
    The Library of Babel, as described by Borges
    A soap opera about racially tense childbirth in a underground library surrounded by the prying eyes of others?
    How could this not be about schadenfreude? I mean either the players are going to be humorously suffering, or any observers would be! :) haha

I love this idea.
    This contest is lookin' pretty good!
  • Oh man. George and I... we're onto something great. And horrible.
  • Just want to say this is a great list, and I'm overjoyed to see that my unhelpful contributions have found a load of other difficult friends to hang with. Should be a doozy!
  • Posted By: Dave HallettJust want to say this is a great list, and I'm overjoyed to see that my unhelpful contributions have found a load of other difficult friends to hang with. Should be a doozy!
    You know, you think it's hard and so did we at first, but it's like a conspiracy. After a few minutes of discussion we both had solid game ideas with every weird suggestion in the list falling into place. Which one was your suggestion, btw?
  • Any news?
    Any news?
    Any news?

(this continues until I get an update or, ya know, stop.)
  • George is sleeping for the first time in three days. I am in the throes of both a transhumanist crisis of conscience and some kind of terminal elephant flu.

We're right on track. Stay tuned for ultimate sass!
  • I'm slowly writing the game...It's hard though, having never written one before. It's going to need a lot of editing. Fun to do though!
    The game will use a tarot deck resolution system and an alternative dice system(not everyone has a tarot deck handy).
  • Posted By: northerainnot everyone has a tarot deck handy
    Fuck those people.

Here's how you make a Tarot deck from scrap:

1. Buy two decks of standard playing cards that match. Super-cheap!

2. One deck makes up 52 of the standard Tarot deck. Spades = swords, Hearts = cups, Diamonds = pentacles, Clubs = wands. Jacks = pages.

...now you add cards from the spare deck:

3. Add the missing suit cards - take one face card of each suit, write "Knight" on it with a sharpie. There's your knights. Now you have all suit cards.

4. Add the Major Arcana - You can use the Joker for 0 The Fool. Just write the names of the first ten numbered Major Arcana on cards with the same numbers (for easier reference - it doesn't really matter what cards you write them on). Add the rest of the Major Arcana, using whatever numbering scheme helps you most. The lower the number, the more room you have to draw a little picture on the card too.

5. If necessary, draw direction markers on each card. Tarot readings distinguish between right-side-up and upside-down. A little "This side up" mark is all you need.

6. Shuffle cards and you are ready to go.

Who doesn't have a Tarot deck now? huh?
  • You tell 'em boss!
  • UPDATE! Got sick as hell, and the network crashed, resulting in no interweb and administrative clusterfuck. Sadness for me. :(

George got caught up in holiday family-ness I'm sure; but we're both gonna get our collective messes ripped to .pdf as soon as real life concerns calm down. Luckily since we're the only two competing, there's not a lot of pressure. ;) Expect something tonight, if the network's up. Otherwise, I'm going to have to email the file to George and have him figure it out. :)