I want to review horror/weird/dark games by SGers

edited December 2007 in Story Games
So I'm kickstarting my blog again(www.northerain.com - under construction) that deals with my art and rpg design and games. I'd like to review/plug a few free or commercial horror/weird/dark games by SG(or Forge or whatever really). If you're making a game, but it isn't finished yet, I'd love to do an interview or some kind of sneak peek feature.

Comments

• Hi George,

Thanks for the offer. Mine *was* coming along quite well (it's a sort of Lovecraftian FATE hack, with some novel ideas for how to run investigations and model Lovecraftian insanity) until I had to go and get a new job at the beginning of November. The job is great, but leaves me with a *lot* less free time. So if I get some writing done over Christmas, I'll be overjoyed to send you some kind of preview. As things are though, no promises!
  • Posted By: Dave HallettHi George,

Thanks for the offer. Mine *was* coming along quite well (it's a sort of Lovecraftian FATE hack, with some novel ideas for how to run investigations and model Lovecraftian insanity) until I had to go and get a new job at the beginning of November. The job is great, but leaves me with a *lot* less free time. So if I get some writing done over Christmas, I'll be overjoyed to send you some kind of preview. As things are though, no promises!
    I'm working on something slightly similar(my main project). What's your angle?
  • George, I'm working on a (free) survival horror game called Geiger Counter (originally called Giger Counter after H.R. Giger). It's a GMless game where you pick a survival horror sub-genre (dinosaur island, mummies, zombies, teen slasher, face-eating aliens, etc.), make characters, and play the whole game in the course of 2-3 hours, about as long as a horror movie would take. Characters move through locations the group establishes (the basement, the secret laboratory) and acquire tools and knowledge about the Menace as they go. The Menace gets stronger as the game progresses, but the character gain more advantages as well. Most of the characters will likely end up dead by the end of the game, but there's a decent chance that at least one will survive to star in possible sequels (future sessions in the same setting). When your character dies, you still frame scenes and also help play the Menace, working to kill everyone else. There's a playtest version available, but it hasn't been updated since the last few playtests. However, I might be motivated to put a semi-finished draft together if you wanted to try it out with some friends. Your art is also hot and I'd love to hire you to do some design work for the website and record sheets, once I get a bit further along, but that's another issue.
  • I'll send you the text for Suicide Beast if I ever finish it.
  • I've had a look at Geiger Counter, looks nice. I'll see if I can playtest it and write a few paragraphs.
    Jake, don't be shy, just send me what you go, or better yet, we can do an interview or something or other.
  • Hey! Are you familiar with Polaris? It's fantasy horror, but there's some serious horror / creepy / weird there.

yrs--
    --Ben
  • Wait, don't playtest that version! Here... give me two hours and I'll make it somewhat better...
  • Posted By: Jonathan WaltonWait, don't playtest that version! Here... give me two hours and I'll make it somewhat better...
    Well I'm not playtesting it right now...
  • Jonathan, I'd love to throw Gieger Counter at my players next week, and it'd give me some great ideas for a survival horror card game I was working on. Throwing that out there, AP is a promise.
  • edited December 2007
    Sweet, I'll definitely have a better version up by next week then, hopefully in time for you to prep it.

I was gonna create an example "module" for it though, to show how to tailor the game to the sub-genre you want. What kind of module are you interested in, Jarrod? Jurassic Park? Alien vs. Predator? Jaws? I Know What You Did Last Summer? Vertical Limit was on TV last night and, lord, that would make a really cool module, where the Menace was K2. Even though that movie is pretty terrible.
  • edited December 2007
    Posted By: Jonathan WaltonSweet, I'll definitely have a better version up by next week then, hopefully in time for you to prep it.

I was gonna create an example "module" for it though, to show how to tailor the game to the sub-genre you want. What kind of module are you interested in, Jarrod? Jurassic Park? Alien vs. Predator? Jaws? I Know What You Did Last Summer? Vertical Limit was on TV last night and, lord, that would make a really cool module, where the Menace wasK2. Even though that movie is pretty terrible.
    I like something Day of the Tentacle-y, if that counts.

Edit: I meant Day of the Triffids, naturally.
  • edited December 2007
    Wait, you mean this Day of the Tentacle? You want SILLY survival horror? Like Clue: The Movie but with muppets? Or Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
  • Posted By: Jonathan WaltonWait, you mean thisDay of the Tentacle? You want SILLY survival horror? LikeClue: The Moviebut with muppets? OrWho Framed Roger Rabbit?
    I'm a dumbass I meant of course ''The Day of the Triffids''.
  • What a difference a word makes.
  • edited December 2007
    Some suggestions:

Dread

Roanoke

Dread: The First Book of Pandemonium

Colonial Gothic

-Andy
  • Allright I got:
    Geiger Counter
    Dread
    Colonial Gothic
    Roanoke

And a couple of fellas with unfinished games which I'd like to talk to, if they check this thread again.
    Where's ''Damned Anonymous''?
  • Note: there's two different games both called Dread. Both of which are cool, but very different.
  • Posted By: Jonathan WaltonNote: there's two different games both called Dread. Both of which are cool, but very different.
    I was thinking that was the case, thanks!
  • edited December 2007
    Jonathan, I'm as huge an Aliens fan as you are... but my survival horror fetish (and the central emphasis of the card game I'd mentioned) is John Carpenter's The Thing. The closer you get to Kurt Russell battling the elements and an anonymous alien symbiote, the happier I'll be.

...which reminds me, are there rules for multiple menaces? Can Aliens vs. Predator or The Thing have stacked menaces? Zombies AND the government? It's a pretty common theme in survival horror: A Rock, and A Hard Place.
  • edited December 2007
    Yeah, The Thing is totally on my list too. Have you seen the earlier movie or read the original short story, "Who Goes There?"

Multiple menaces are totally possible. You'd just allocate the menace's traits to things like "ice & snow" and "absorbs living matter." They are all mechanically considered part of the same menace, so if you're, like, fighting a three-headed absorbed dog out in the middle of a blizzard, the menace rolls all those dice. It's the same as fighting a horde of various different types of dinosaurs, really.

EDIT: Linkedy linked.
  • Oh, there's also NEMESIS, basically the horror mashup of ORE and Unknown Armies.
    Posted By: northerain
    And a couple of fellas with unfinished games which I'd like to talk to...
    The Ghost Killers (the latest playable incarnation) will be ready within 3 weeks. You will be able to play it by New Year's Eve.
  • The Thing is your thing? Yeah. Add 44 to the list. George, I'll whisper.
  • Posted By: Jonathan WaltonGeorge, I'm working on a (free) survival horror game calledGeiger Counter(originally calledGiger Counterafter H.R. Giger).
    This game sounds quite nifty and I look forward to seeing it when it's publicly presentable.

Oh, and you must change the title back to Giger Counter, because that's just too cool.
  • The Infected should be available sometime in January.
  • Posted By: Jonathan WaltonYeah, The Thing is totally on my list too. Have you seen the earlier movie or read the original short story,"Who Goes There?"
    No, but if I'm not talkative much today, this story will be why.
  • Posted By: northerainPosted By: Dave HallettHi George,

I'm working on something slightly similar(my main project). What's your angle? Heh. You can tell I'm busy at the moment by the stupid-long gaps between my posts! Must try to do better...

Uh, elevator pitch would be, more Lovecraft and less of his imitators. Mental state is represented by Insight (how much of the Truth you have learned) and Stress (how much non-integrated experiences are making you ill/driving you crazy/rendering your life meaningless, it's up to you which). Insight is useful but alienates you from your fellow humans. Stress is just bad, and goes up whenever something bad happens, more or less. Investigation is handled by allowing the players to gamble on the truth of things they find out. Making a statement gets you Fate Points. But if it turns out to be false, you gain Stress. Combat very deadly, social stuff less so. There is no magic system.

If you want to hear more, whisper me an email address, and I'll try to send you a few bits of prose that show my approach a bit.