Planet Terror RPG

edited December 2007 in Story Games
So I watched Planet Terror a few weeks ago and bought the dvd today(Birthday present to myself). I then decide to make an rpg based not on the movie, but the general movie genre, namely, Grindhouse movies.
I want to make this short and sweet and hopefuly finish it in a couple of days, just to get it out of my system and possibly help myself get over my writer's block and continue work on my game, Fallen.
For those of you who haven't seen the movie, here's a synopsis:
''After an experimental bio-nerve gas is accidentally released at a remote U.S. military base in Texas, those exposed to the gas turn into flesh-eating, mutating zombies out to kill. An assortment of various people who include stripper Cherry, her shady mechanic ex-boyfriend Wray, a strong-willed doctor, the local sheriff, and an assortment of various people must join forces to survive the night as the so-called "sickos" threaten to take over the whole town and the world.''

The game will be about kicking some ass in ridiculous ways against a supernatural(or maybe not!) foe, like zombies, huge spiders, serial killers, cults, mutants, aliens, etc. It'll be fast and gimmicky.
I'll focus on the character creation right now, and I'm going to use a character from the movie, Cherry. From watching the movie, this is what I came up with.
Characters have a gimmick. An easy way to describe their personality and behaviour. Rose is a ''Tough Stripper''. She is a stripper, but she is also a badass that doesn't take shit from anyone.
Characters have a catchphrase/joke attached to them. Cherry wants to be a stand up comedian.
Characters have a power/weapon/awesome thing. Cherry has only one leg, but adding a weapon to her stump makes her a killing machine. This can be upgraded(she started with a wooden peg, upgraded to a machine gun, then upgraded to a heavy machinegun).
Characters can learn stunts. Cherry can use her grenade launcher(comes with the machine gun leg) to jump very very high. She can also do spins that kills enemies at 360 degrees.

What does everyone think so far? I hope this thread is kosher for SG.

-George

Comments

• edited December 2007
    Hey, George, have you ever looked at octaNe? It's built pretty much for exactly that type of movie, and specifically includes a "Grindhouse" play mode. Great fun! Exhausting to play, but great fun. :-)
  • No, no. This is your game right here: Geiger Counter. It does exactly what you are looking for and it rocks. I played it at Gen Con.
  • Justin is very kind, but my working draft of the game isn't quite functional yet. It's still not up to GenCon standards, even. But yeah, hopefully Geiger Counter will be able to do this eventually.

Another game you should take a look at is Eero Tuovinen's Zombies at the Door which is, unfortunately, only available in Finnish. I could probably summerize the basics for you if you're interested, though.

But, yes, this sounds like a great project. Carry on!
  • Posted By: Jonathan WaltonJustin is very kind, but my working draft of the game isn't quite functional yet. It's still not up to GenCon standards, even. But yeah, hopefullyGeiger Counterwill be able to do this eventually.

Another game you should take a look at is Eero Tuovinen'sZombies at the Doorwhich is, unfortunately, only available in Finnish. I could probably summerize the basics for you if you're interested, though.

But, yes, this sounds like a great project. Carry on!
    Consider this an expression of interest from a non-Finn speaker. Babelfish does not do the game much justice. :)
  • I learned Zombies from Emily Care, so this is second-hand second-hand. Each player has a token. All the tokens start in the center of a track that looks like...

[ X ][ ][ ][ ][ Y ][ ][ ][ ][ Z ]

... so all the tokens are at Y, right? If your token gets to Z, that makes you survived and were not killed by zombies. However, X is a DOOM TOKEN that is advancing towards you, effectively making the track shorter and shorter as you race frantically towards Z. If your token is ever in the same space as X, your DOOM happens and you are killed by zombies.

The interesting thing is how you move. On your turn, you narrate a scene that culminates in a conflict between yourself and another character. Perhaps someone trips and you have to decide whether to leave them behind or not. Perhaps you take advantage of someone else so that you can stay ahead of the advancing horde. Perhaps zombies attack both of you and its a question of who gets injured and who escapes without harm. In any case, you both roll... and the winner moves forward, towards Z and survival, while the loser moves backwards, towards X and DOOM.

At the end of each round of turns, the DOOM counter advances. So... the only way you can not die is to gain victory over your fellow players, in a cutthroat battle to see who doesn't become zombie bait.

That's just a general summary. There's other special stuff that happens. Depending on what space the DOOM counter is on, cool effects are narrated. I'm also probably missing some other rules, because, like I said, I learned it second hand in conversation and haven't even played it (though I have played Emily's Iraq War game that's based on it). I'm certainly going to buy a copy of the game if Eero every makes them in English. It seems brilliant.
  • I like octaNE but I've always considered it more pulpy than grindhouse. I'm aiming for a more ''lite'' approach and maybe a tad more serious(more BADASS than funny).
    Geiger Counter looks awesome, though a bit different than what I'm going for.
    As it stands now, I don't think my idea warrants a big game, maybe something small to put out there and playtest a couple of times.
  • edited December 2007
    Cherry's a Go-Go Dancer, George. A GO-GO DANCER! There's a difference!

Peace,
    -Joel
  • edited December 2007
    Posted By: MelinglorCherry's a Go-Go Dancer, George. A GO-GO DANCER! There's adifference!

Peace,
    -Joel
    Hey man, it's go-go, not cry-cry.