Lulu / Drivethru / Wherever Question.

I'm thinking about putting the ashcan PDF for Hoard up on one of these - I'm not supremely worried which, though I have a slight preference for drivethru.

But if I do, I want to be sure that I can use that same service to distribute the ashcan to my existing stakeholders (who bought in on the draft version). And I also want to be sure that everyone that gets the ashcan (exisiting and after being installed on such a site) will also be able to access the final cut PDF without paying any further money.

So, for people that have investigated or used any (or a bunch of) these services... Is this possible? With which?

Comments

• I don't think there's a way to do that with Lulu. I haven't found any way to access customers of my products in any way.

I'm pretty sure you can do it with Drivethru, because you can send updated/revised versions of your product to everyone who purchased it before.

You could be listed with both (we are), the only drawback being a higher percentage of your sales price going to Drivethru because you're going to be on a non-exclusive instead of an exclusive basis. But if you also want to list with IPR, that's going to be the case anyway.
  • Oh, yeah... I should have been obvious in asking.

Can IPR do this?
  • You know, you can list your PDF anywhere you want, and still send copies of it to whoever you want, right? You don't have to distribute them through someone else's service. You can simply email a link (or attachment) to anyone who you want. Then you don't have to be dependent on someone else's system.

Or am I missing what you are saying?
  • That's what I do now. However.

I want to avoid the risk of simply mussing up and forgetting to send something to someone, and the aggravations (and probable delays and problems) of setting up my own download site that's secure to my actual stakeholders.

Basically, using an outside system keeps me from needing to worry about such stuff; and, hey, there might even be some benefit to the increase in visibility that'll offset their cut.
  • No, you can't do it. Do it the hard way like everyone else. Be a man. Jeez.

Graham
  • Graham, you're so mean.

*Huff*
  • It's reasonably easy to give free copies of things on IPR.

yrs--
    --Ben
  • Levi, I use pretty much every site, system, store, distributor and download center thats out there, and I've found that just emailing people the links/attachments is by far the easiest way to do things. What I've discovered is that relying on other people (be it Drivethru. Lulu or whatever) opens you up to their mistakes and over sites. With the kind of numbers we tend to sell, staying on top of it yourself is pretty easy.

It does sound like you can do much of what you want to do through Drivethru.

Jake
  • Posted By: jake richmondLevi, I use pretty much every site, system, store, distributor and download center thats out there, and I've found that just emailing people the links/attachments is by far the easiest way to do things.
    Ah, well.

I'm not horribly suprised; I was just hoping a little that I could make it easy-as-nothing.
  • With the xcart software IPR uses, you can export a list of all orders of your games. If you've only got one up, that'll make it easy--otherwise you'll have to sort the data. Then you can copy the email addresses out of the spreadsheet.
  • You have to individually send out/authorize to be sent out free copies of things on rpgnow, I know because I've received them from authors before. That said, you can do it.
  • edited November 2007
    It's possible on Drivethru, definitely, through an "updated product" sort of mechanism they have there. (I'm assuming you're not talking about "upgrading to the print version" because -- especially with Drive Thru (apparently) moving away from having a POD component -- there's not really ANY salesfront I know of that'll support that transaction well if at all.)

On IPR we can *probably* figure out how to do it -- extracting a list of the folks who've ordered product X isn't hard, and you could do a mailing when that happens. This might be pairable with another thing -- though it's one we haven't tried yet, technologically -- of updating the PDF file attached to a given product and then telling people their good-for-ten-plus-years download keys can still be used to redownload, getting the new content. Regardless, it should be possible in *some* fashion.

On Lulu, AFAIK, you definitely can't do this, though I have no recent experience selling PDF through them -- DriveThru and IPR have taken over as the dominant salesfronts for all of my PDF products, with Lulu sales being only very occasional.
  • Yeah, doing it through RPGNow/DriveThru ought to be manageable with the available tools. Depending on how they're working this week. Note that there is a $40 charge to become a new vendor there (last I heard).
  • Posted By: Tim GrayNote that there is a $40 charge to become a new vendor there (last I heard).
    That's accurate as of September, when we joined.