Quick Dreamation Question

If someone was flying to Dreamation, which airport should they be pointed at?

-Rob D.

Comments

• Newark liberty international.
  • Awesome, danke.

-Rob D.
  • Newark Liberty has a train to New Brunswick, also, which will put you right there (5 min away). I'd be happy to give a ride.
  • I just started this thread for you helpful folks out there.

Relatedly, Rob, when do you think you will be flying in? Maybe we can catch a cab together or something?
  • I don't wanna sound like a broken record but I strongly would discourage getting a cab from Newark Airport to Dreamation. According to lazy Googling, the cab ride is $40-$50 one-way and the train (which runs twice an hour on weekdays and once or twice an hour on weekends) is $12.75 one-way. That drops you into New Brunswick which is a relatively cheap cab ride to the hotel if you can't get someone to pick you up, which is a big if.
  • How about a related question?

For those of us planning on driving to the con, what's parking like in New Brunswick? (The hotel is right across from Rutgers, right?) New York bad, or just Wilkes-Barre bad? ;)
  • The hotel has it's own parking garage. I know that Adam Dray and I didn't have any trouble with his car.
  • It's sub-New-York bad in New Brunswick. But the fact is that you're really in East Brunswick. The hotel is on the intersection of 3 major highways (Route 1, Route 18, and the New Jersey Turnpike) so there are no stores very near by you can camp out in and it's not simple to walk to the con from anywhere other than maybe the other hotel on the same road and the one attached to the back of the one the con is at. You pretty much have to drive there and pay for parking unless you stay in the hotel.
  • But then, that's true for 98% of New Jersey, hence the omnipresent NJ Turnpike jokes.

(It's been like 10 years since I've been back. Am I remembering correctly that Princeton is like 10 minutes from there?)
  • I drove to DEXcon and paid for parking, and it was a pittance. It was less of a cost, say, than having to hear and see the people chanting "SU-GAR! SU-GAR!"
  • Posted By: Justin D. Jacobson(It's been like 10 years since I've been back. Am I remembering correctly that Princeton is like 10 minutes from there?)
    It's about 90 minutes from Jersey City, so probably at least 30 from East Brunswick.
  • Oh Christ.

Justin, a word of advice - there's this room. Stay the hell out of it. The "Chocolate Whiplash Fantasia" or whatever they call it is the only negative thing I can mention about Dreamation.
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarOh Christ.

Justin, a word of advice - there's thisroom.Stay the hell out of it. The "Chocolate Whiplash Fantasia" or whatever they call it is the only negative thing I can mention about Dreamation.
    They based a Sci Fi Channel movie on it, that one with Peter Krause.
  • Depending on traffic it's 20 minutes to an hour from Princeton.
  • Ah yes, the fabled Sugarfest. There's also an ice cream party on one of the days.
  • So, what I'm hearing is that I do NOT need to bring my separate steamer trunk of chocolate goodies? Got it.
  • you will get the diabetes from the atmosphere.

also parking is like not a thing. I think it was $6 for the day, and you could park overnight if you weren't leaving.

Wilkes-Barre has a parking problem? No one lives there, it's just trees. How could there be a parking problem.
  • Kevin: People are parking up the wrong tree.
  • I'm interested in carpooling from Baltimore, if anyone else is driving up.
  • edited November 2007
    I am driving up from Northern VA I have no idea if we have room in the car. My gaming group hasn't make a decision. But I will be there running Burning Wheel and Universalis.

Parking has never been a problem.
  • Posted By: Adam DrayI'm interested in carpooling from Baltimore, if anyone else is driving up.
    I'm looking for a ride up, if anyone that is coming up from the south wouldn't mind stopping briefly in MD/DE. I can help you avoid the $4 toll. :-)
  • Kevin, you got it in one - there aren't any parking spaces, just trees...

Thanks! 6$ is totally affordable - i was worried about having to park in Outer Mongolia and walk in...
  • Oh, boy! Dreamation!

• I will likely be driving up, but I don't know on what timetable. Since I keep my own hours it has a decent chance of being pretty incompatible with folks who work regular days. :-/
  • thinking of flying in to Newark and hitchhiking to the show. Anyone care to pick up a stray geek?
  • Does the hotel usually fill up? If so when? We're still trying to figure out how much leave we can take....
  • Posted By: someladyDoes the hotel usually fill up? If so when? We're still trying to figure out how much leave we can take....
    I'm honestly not sure, though there seem to be more people than ever this year, so you might want to hedge your bets (or at least call them).
  • What are the discount airlines that fly to Newark?

yrs--
    --Ben
  • Posted By: Ben LehmanWhat are the discount airlines that fly to Newark?

yrs--
    --Ben
    Whenever I fly Newark (which is to say whenever I fly), the cheapest airline has always been Continental.
  • Jetblue is $59 each way from Tampa.
  • Newark is a hub for Continental, so they have competitive fares and lots of non-stop flights. I'll probably be using them.