Help me find avatar/toon/hero makers

edited October 2007 in Story Games
Hello SGers.

I'm looking for all the cool customizable avatar and toon makers you know of. Like, the things where you can make a little dude or dudette, with customized hair and clothes and such.

Of course, there is HeroMachine.

Hit me with links! I'll take any and all kinds, though free is preferred.

Comments

• The computer game City of Heroes has an outstanding character builder that is well worth the price of admission for many genres.
  • edited October 2007
    I believe the same guy who made the original heromachine did these versions of it for Hasbro:

Star Wars

GI Joe

edit: also,

Harry Potter Dolls

My Little Pony

Many more can probably be found by going through the archives of The Generator Blog
  • edited October 2007
    Posted By: HalfjackThe computer game City of Heroes has an outstanding character builder that is well worth the price of admission for many genres.
    I thought the generator was part of the game, and not as a standalone application.
  • It is indeed part of the game.
  • Posted By: HalfjackIt is indeed part of the game.
    That's the thing. Another pretty good avatar generator I've played with was EVE Online's generator, but both generators have the same problem: if you want it, you're going to need to buy the games associated with the generators. It always seemed like a shame, especially since due to latency issues I've never really been able to play MMORPGs with any degree of satisfaction.
  • Somewhere out there under the big blue sun, if you can find it, is the Korean version of City of Heroes' generator, plus the dll to make it English. No idea why they decided to make it stand-alone over there but group it only with the app over here.

-Andy
  • Candybar Dollmaker is a pretty cutesy one. Actually, that site has several doll makers on it.

The Sims 2 Body Shop is a stand-alone program with the character designer from Sims 2. (You can find it a variety of places, such as c|net)
  • edited October 2007
    That's a good collection, Selene. Thanks everyone! Keep 'em comin'.

City of Heroes is quite awesome, yes. But for my needs (oh, they are secret!) I need a stand-alone. And, sadly, the Korean one is PC only.
  • Yes, please help those of us with Macs! /O.O\ PUPPY EYES

• Posted By: shreyasYes, please help those of us with Macs! /O.O\ PUPPY EYES
    You dug your own hole. ;-)
  • here is one for doing chibi / anime style avatars

http://www.tektek.org/dream/
  • Posted By: AndySomewhere out there under the big blue sun, if you can find it, is the Korean version of City of Heroes' generator, plus the dll to make it English. No idea why they decided to make it stand-alone over there but group it only with the app over here.

-Andy
    Can you export the models?
  • Love the chibi style, Paul.
  • Posted By: jenskotCan you export the models?
    No, but one could probably use Gadwin PrintScreen 3.5 or similar to capture it.

-Andy
  • There's a Sonic character generator on Newgrounds.
  • Paulie, that's awesome.

Look everyone, it's me, but badass: image
  • there is a link on rpg.net that I got it off

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=354180

Here is my character from my regular exalted game it is a lot of fun to fool around with

8d5867.png
  • That's cool. It was time for a new icon.
  • edited November 2007
    Yeah, this rocks! Here's Drochan Vox, my Hexblade,with his raven familiar Crenshaw:

The thing is a bit limited, though, esp. for fantasy characters. Mainly, no facial hair and low weapon selection.

Peace,
    -Joel
  • Most of the MMO games out there let you create your own avatar, and a lot of them are free. I was pretty impressed with the avatar creator in Pirates of the Carribbean Online, which just went live recently. My female pirate is hawt!

Check this site out for more games.
  • Chris: Does the Pirates avatar maker exist outside the game in some form?
  • edited November 2007
    The most disappointing thing about the GAIA Online generator is that I can't recreate my actual GAIA online character. I can't find that goddamned Hawaiian shirt anywhere.

That reminds me, it's been forever since I've poked around the G-O tabletop gaming forum...

...I'm back. Nothing's changed.

-Andy

ps, but that's awesome with the Exalted characters. I never even thought of that.
  • I'm definitely going to have to use some of these for art for the next version of Console, if I ever make one. Of course, licensing the right to do so could be a serious nightmare...

--Colin
  • Various Mes:

• Someone help! How can I send one of those Avatars made at Dookyweb.com/avatars.swf to myself? The email button won't work.
  • Ditto. And while I'mat it, I couldn't figureout how to preserve my Southpark persona either. Anyone?

I did get this to work:
    And of course this:
    In fact, it looks like I got me a new avatar. :)

Peace,
    -Joel
  • In Windows XP, you can click the print screen key, then paste it into a photo editing program and tinker with it. Vista has a nicer thing, an accessory called the Snipping Tool, which lets you pick an area that then is then dropped into a program you can save from (though it puts an ugly red frame around it by default). I did mine with snipping tool.
  • Posted By: John HarperChris: Does the Pirates avatar maker exist outside the game in some form?
    John, I don't believe so, but you can take Windows screenshots if you want to save off a picture of your avatar. Most MMOs keep their avatar creator as part of the downloaded game, especially the 3d ones.
  • Yeah, that's what I figured. And that's why I have folders full of screenshots of my MMO characters. :)

I'm just tired of photoshopping them out of their backgrounds. I've said too much.
  • I just did a Google search for "avatar creator" and found a few sites that will let you create an avatar online and save it for other uses. Of help, perhaps.
  • edited November 2007
    Yeah. There are a gajillion. Mostly crappy. :-)

I'm slowly trolling through them.
  • Hey, another one just popped on my radar, a cute anime-style (nittoushin: Head = Half Body Size) figure generator:

http://www.walfas.org/flash/create.swf

And my results, here is my D&D 4th Edition character, a female warlord:

• I like it. Very Bomberman.
  • edited June 2008
    For doing Batman Animated Series style superheroes, this is pretty keen, although it's in Portuguese. The interface makes enough sense that you can puzzle it out even if you don't speak/read it (I certainly don't):

http://fabricadeherois.blogspot.com/

Edit to add Scroll to the bottom and click 'Criar!'. It's flash and hasn't got an export function, so you'll have to use a screenshot/screen capture tool.
  • Andy,

That's totally the official avatar maker of Yuuyake Kowake (or whatever it was), right?
  • Posted By: unlikelylassFor doing Batman Animated Series style superheroes, this is pretty keen, although it's in Portuguese. The interface makes enough sense that you can puzzle it out even if you don't speak/read it (I certainly don't):

http://fabricadeherois.blogspot.com/

Edit to addScroll to the bottom and click 'Criar!'. It's flash and hasn't got an export function, so you'll have to use a screenshot/screen capture tool.
    Very very cool.
  • Dana, that is FANTASTIC. Thank you!
  • Posted By: John HarperDana, that is FANTASTIC. Thank you!
    De Nada -- don't give me too much credit, though. I found it a couple months ago because of a post on RPG.net. =)
  • The Middleman Costume Generator
    Although it's mostly limited to female characters and femme male characters. There aren't a whole lot of options, either.