Hey, (relatively) new guy seeks greetings and elicits praise.

edited October 2007 in Story Games
Hello all. I've been flitting about RPG theory sites for the last couple of years, tentatively reading here and there; but a close friend's interactions with a few of you wonderful individuals has intensely sparked my interest in game theory for the first time since I received a degree in the field three years ago.

I guess being bombarded with philosophical analysis for four years dims your view of logical systems; and since I'd cut my teeth on GURPS at the tender age of twelve (over half my life ago for those counting) I wasn't even exposed to Gamist elements of roleplaying until well into my college years; and Narrativism is something profound and powerful that I'd often disassociated from "traditional" gaming.

Anyhow, I'm now working on the first indie RPG I can truly be proud of, so I felt myself compelled to join the community. Thanks for being such warm, inviting individuals, and I look forward to your comments on my ideas in the hopefully-not-too-distant future!

Comments

• Welcome, Jarrod! I played GURPS for years as did others here.

I assume you got a degree in mathematical game theory, not "roleplaying game theory", right? Just checking.

Anyway, tell us about your new game!
  • Hi and welcome, Jarrod.

I actually taught a class or two about game theory in the context of Political Science during grad school; good times.

Jason's right, tell us more about your design! If you like :)
  • edited October 2007
    Jason: As for college, philosophy of mathematics and game theory... lots of Wittgenstein, complex systemics... basically Rolemaster. :) I touched on the issues in some of the Poli Sci courses I took as electives, but sadly nothing too engaging.

"Anyway, tell us about your new game!" he says...I have to chuckle; honestly I'm a little nervous. I realize that everyone here's just a normal guy with a first name, but you're normal guys whom I respect deeply. Considering my background as a musician and how human I've found those "heroes" to be (one coked out phone call from Orgy's guitarist was all it took, really), you guys are the last "real deal." So I'm nervous, but excited as to what you'll think.

Anyway.

My friend Ram Hull (many of you know him from his compulsive convention hopping, scraggly Irish physique and infectious banter) and I have been round-tabling a lot over the last couple of weeks about Fantasy Heartbreakers and the "Classic Experience" of 80's gaming, and 80's metagaming. We've been bouncing from his tastes (Burning Wheel, Spirit of the Century) to mine (Lacuna, Don't Rest Your Head), all the while talking about the "Classic Experience" of gaming.

What fell out of the discussion was a framework for an RPG system that was extremely crunchy and laden with streamlined retro-style mechanics, but with an intensely narrativist feel. I wanted to reward a gamist take on narrative play with direct mechanical benefits, and while I absolutely adore the simplicity of new school rules light play, Ram and I both miss the simple fun of feat trees, disarming traps, and crawling about dungeons whimsically. What I've got so far plays remarkably different than any RPG we've found, because it marries the fun of building a beast of a character with the power of a well crafted narrative. I really wanted to make a STORY GAME, that encapsulated both aspects of roleplaying which I love, and I was tired of having to decided between one, the other, or a watered-down compromise.

Open-ended, crunchy power-based character creation, which directly rewards emotional characterization and entertaining the other players. No hit points. Endgame mechanics. Narrative combat. Lots of all of the best modern ideas we can find, things which help us make our characters human, combined with the old school toolbox that made our characters heroes.

I guess, depending on whether you guys are interested, I'll try compiling something playable to the outside world in the next couple of weeks. I'm really shy about something so mundane as a New Take On Fantasy Storytelling (as I've taken to saying, "Ron Forbids It!"), so I guess I'm just nervous that no one cares about getting into character when that character has sneak attack dice.

Here's hoping I'm utterly wrong.
  • Cool, your idea sounds fun - a lot of people have been feeling the old skool urge lately, so there may be other projects floating around that would prove inspirational. I think your motivations are excellent - design the game you want to play, totally. If you're worried people will dismiss your ideas because you're designing a fantasy game, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • Welcome Jarrod!
    As a fledgligng designer I know how you feel. But everyone here is great and really helpful. Dive in. Your game sounds very cool.
  • JarrodRon Forbids It!
    He does? Cool! Be a rebel! We like rebels. :-) Besides, you game sounds like something I'd love to play.

~Andrew
  • There's plenty of reasons for me to get into character when I've got sneak attack dice (and damn, do I love myself sneak attack dice). E.g., so I can feel like I'm right there with the character unleashing his sneak attack goodness; or by making sure the sneak attacking means something to my character, and my character means something to me; and so on.
  • Posted By: Jason MorningstarIf you're worried people will dismiss your ideas because you're designing a fantasy game...
    I know that after a steady diet of mormon paladin gunslingers, alien superheroes, Heian era bushi, and several Primetime TV Series, I'm starting to feel the urge to just hit a monstrous humanoid with a longsword, or slay a dragon from horseback. Keep going!
  • edited October 2007
    Posted By: noclueI know that after a steady diet of mormon paladin gunslingers, alien superheroes, Heian era bushi, and several Primetime TV Series, I'm starting to feel the urge to just hit a monstrous humanoid with a longsword, or slay a dragon from horseback. Keep going!
    See, that... that right there is exactly what I needed to hear: someone else thinking my thoughts. :D You guys have all been really helpful so far - and very motivational, to boot! More to come!