GameStorm: Indie Hurricane March 28th-30th, 2008 (Portland)

Hi. I’m really pleased to be able to announce GameStorm: Indie Hurricane! Come hang with us in Portland, OR (Vancouver, WA actually, but it’s only a few minutes away from Portland) March 28-30th, 2008!

Next March GameStorm, Portland’s premier (and only) gaming convention, will host GameStorm: Indie Hurricane. Indie Hurricane brings 3 days of indie gaming to GameStorm with a projected 40+ scheduled gaming sessions, games on demand tables, panels, an indie games demo and sales booth and an after hours Guitar Hero/Rock Band lounge!

Last year Christian Griffen. Travis Brown, Chris Weedin, Nick Smith and I sat up a small booth at GameStorm and ran demos, games and panels all weekend. We had a lot of fun, met a lot of great people and played a lot of great games. The response from GameStorm attendees was fantastic, so we’ve decided to return this year with an even bigger and better event. Matt Gagen, Matt Schlotte and Chris Goodwin have joined us in planning Indie Hurricane, a special multi-day GameStorm event designed to cater to fans of story, small-press, alternative and indie games!

Why it will be awesome:

Scheduled Games! Indie Hurricane features 3 days of scheduled indie gaming! We’re planning for 40+ scheduled indie games over the weekend!

Games on Demand: Indie Hurricane will feature Games on Demand tables and after hour gaming for attendees who don’t want to commit to scheduled games!

Demo and Buy: The Indie Hurricane Booth offers games from attending indie designers and publishers. Our booth staff will be running demos and organizing games all weekend. Last year we found that the booth was a great gateway for GameStorms more traditional attendees to be introduced to indie gaming. We ran a lot of demos and sold a lot of books! This year we want to feature more books and more demos! If you are planning to attend Indie Hurricane we would be happy to stock your game/ashcan at our booth and provide space for you to run demos. Contact me at the email below for booth information.

Panels: GameStorm has asked us to plan some indie/small press/story/alternative game panels. Last year we ran an ad hoc panel on game publishing. This year we’re interested in expanding our panels to cover more topics and to help introduce GameStorms more traditional attendees to indie gaming. If you have a suggestion for a panel or would like to participate please let us know!

Guitar Hero/Rock Band lounge: We’ll be hosting an after hours Guitar Hero/Rock Band lounge! Come ready to rock!

All the great GameStorm stuff: GameStorm offers all kinds of great fun besides just Indie Hurricane. Sign up for hundreds of games, tournaments, panels and events!

Here’s the vital info:

How much will it cost? The purchase of a GameStorm ticket covers all Indie Hurricane events. Tickets cost $30 for the weekend. The con is being held at the Red Lion at the Quay in Vancouver, WA (just across the river from Portland). Special room rates are available for GameStorm attendees. Check out the GameStorm site (link below) for more info. Dining is available at the Hotel, and GameStorm runs a pretty sweet hospitality lounge.

How do I register and sign up for games? Registration will be online at the GameStorm site very soon. Since Indie Hurricane is part of GameStorm, all you’ll need to do is register for GameStorm! Once you register you’ll be able to use the GameStorm site to sign up for scheduled games and events or sign up to run games. All Indie Hurricane events will be tagged and organized so that attendees can easily find and recognize them!

While waiting for the GameStorm registration page to come online, feel free to visit the Indie Hurricane forum on the Portland Indie Gamers page (link below) and ask questions, plan games and give suggestions.

Who can attend?
Indie Hurricane is open to everyone! You don’t have to be a “leet indie gamer” to enjoy Indie Hurricane! Everyone is welcome. We’ll be offering demos, starter games and panels specifically designed to introduce new and traditional gamers to indie gaming. We want to provide a pleasant and comfortable atmosphere where everyone can have fun and play some great games. We want to be open to everyone!

I’m interested in helping out:
Please! Contact me at the email below to make suggestions or to find out how you can help.

I’m a game designer/podcaster/artist. Can I be a GameStorm guest? I think so. Contact me for more info.

Will there be t-shirts? Of course! T-shirt sales will help offset our costs. Look for shirt preorders soon.

I’ll be posting more info about the event over the coming weeks and months. If you have any questions (because I’m sure there are things I forgot to mention here) please email me at the below address!

Thanks,

Jake Richmond

Contact Jake Richmond for more information: jake@atarashigames.com

The official GameStorm site: http://www.gamestorm.org/

The Indie Hurricane/Portland Indie Gamers site: http://www.goplaypdx.com/

The Indie Hurricane forum: http://www.goplaypdx.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0

Comments

• Wow, we're selling? I didn't know that. Selling what?
  • This is totally sweet. I will be there.
  • Posted By: johnzoThis is totally sweet. I will be there.
    Good. One down, X to go.
  • Posted By: johnzoThis is totally sweet. I will be there.
    Good. One down, X to go.
  • Yay! I'll be there. X-1! (Actually, X-2 since I'm pretty sure my husband will be there too.) :-)
  • Awesome. We're hoping the whole Seattle Posse will jump on down to join us :)
  • Posted By: jake richmondPosted By: misubaWow, we're selling? I didn't know that. Selling what?
    We'll have a sales booth like last year. Is that what you're asking?

Well, I remember the Atarashi Games booth, sure. Are we taking books from people not attending the show as well?
  • edited October 2007
    Posted By: misubaPosted By: jake richmondPosted By: misubaWow, we're selling? I didn't know that. Selling what?
    We'll have a sales booth like last year. Is that what you're asking?

Well, I remember the Atarashi Games booth, sure. Are we taking books from people not attending the show as well?

That's under discussion. I think I'm willing to stock and sell books from people not attending the show, but the booth is a group effort, so we'll need to talk about how/if we want to do that. I think there is a lot of benefit in offering a selection of games. Right now it looks like we'll have 3-5 designers actively participating in the booth. More are welcome, including the number of local guys who are just working up ashcans.
  • Ew, the "other Vancouver." I dunno, man, I might have to burn it down on principle.
  • I'm thinking about coming. The thing that might hold me back is hotel costs, but if I can work that out...
  • Posted By: amnesiackI'm thinking about coming. The thing that might hold me back is hotel costs, but if I can work that out...
    I understand. I'm looking into some alternative accomadations. If I can find anything worthwhile I'll post about it on the Indie Hurricane forum
  • I usually go to one convention per year. I'll do my best to make this the one. It'll be nice to see the Portland crew again ^_^
  • Colin, if you don't show up on your own, we'll just have to kidnap you.
  • Posted By: ColinCI usually go to one convention per year. I'll do my best to make this the one. It'll be nice to see the Portland crew again ^_^
    I find it strange that I'm seei9ng people from other countries more often then I'm seeing you. How can we fix this?
  • Hi! Just wanted to remind everyone that gameStorm is coming up quick. We've gotten a slow start, but event registration is finally up., and we're submitting the final panel list this week.

I'm pretty excited. This is what I've signed up to run so far:

[Panty Explosion] Gundam: Ecole du Ciel:
    Ecole du Ciel- were aspiring pilots train to become top Gundam pilots. Join Panty Explosion designer Jake Richmond in this game about young mobile suit pilots learning about sacrifice, love and honor! Based on the popular Ecole du Ciel Manga! Pre-made character provided.

[The Magical Land of Yeld] Little Ghost: "Somewhere there is a door that leads to a magical land, where children ride on the backs of dragons, and goblins grant wishes. But this is not that door. Enter at your own risk"

Step through the magical door to the sinister land of Yeld. Put your childhood aside and take the role of young heroes on a quest to defeat the 7 legendary Hunters of Yeld. Inspired by "Through the looking-glass adventures" (Narnia, Alice in Wonderland, Inuyashu) and Super Nintendo era JRPGs (Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy 2, Legend of Zelda).

This is a special play test for Jake Richmond's upcoming indie fantasy story game. Participants will receive a copy of the play test document.

[Sea Dracula] 2nd Edition Tournament of the Gods: Sea Dracula returns! This new edition features updated rules, streamlined play, new dance moves, and 3 new colors (created just for this game)! Tournament of the Gods pits four animal lawyers against each other in the case of a life time. Don't miss the return of the 2007 Game of the Year!

Limited seating: Sea Dracula is a limited seating event. Registration will be limited to 4 players and 10 spectators.

Other Games I'm considering: Shock:, Juiced Rider, 1001 Nights.

Who else is running games for GameStorm?
  • I'll sign up when I can figure out my schedule. I'll definitely run Beast Hunters, and probably a playtest or two of Anima Prime.
  • and probably a playtest or two of Anima Prime.
    I'm really looking forward to that.
  • Mickey and I are planning on coming.
  • I will have a prototype of a board game I'm working on.

But who are we kidding, the event of the show will be Sea Dracula. Sea Dracula will BE the show.
  • edited February 2008
    Posted By: misubaBut who are we kidding, the event of the show will be Sea Dracula. Sea Dracula will BE the show.
    Chad Underkoffler asked me about Sea Dracula at Dreamation. So, you know the East Coast crowd is watching this like a hawk!

Seriously, I'm so at Gamestorm it's not even funny. Hell, there's a con in my hometown that same weekend (Conquest Sacramento), and I'm going to Gamestorm instead.

I'm tempted to finish up Only The Guilty Run for a playtest there.
  • Posted By: misubaI will have a prototype of a board game I'm working on.
    I'm tempted to finish up Only The Guilty Run for a playtest there.
    I will playtest any game that anyone brings. This is my vow!
    Posted By: misubaBut who are we kidding, the event of the show will be Sea Dracula. Sea Dracula will BE the show.
    Posted By: Ryan MacklinChad Underkoffler asked me about Sea Dracula at Dreamation. So, you know the East Coast crowd is watching this like a hawk!
    Nick and I had decided that we would only do one Sea Dracula event, but perhaps we could do a special "Celebrity Deathmatch" Sea Dracula event. For charity, of course.
  • Posted By: jake richmondI will playtest any game that anyone brings. This is my vow!
    Dude, say the word and MYTHENDER is on the table.

Fuck it, I'll say the word: word.
  • Lesley and I are coming! Yay!

A couple of questions:

1. I couldn't find anywhere on the site that said what the hours of the con are, just the days. Does anyone know what time doors open/close each day?
    2. For the Indie Hurricane events, is it a sign-up before the con sort of situation or a GP NW style catch as catch can?

I'm excited!
  • Sorry I missed this. let me answer these now.

1. I 'think' the con hours are 9am till midnight, but I honestly don't know for sure. My experience with GameStorm is that I kind of show up around 9 or 10am, and go home around midnight. I know different rooms are open different hours. Like the dealers room is open (I think) from 10am till 5pm). I think the general gaming areas are open pretty much all night, but I may be wrong.

2. You can sign up for Indie Huirricane games ahead of time by using the registration system thing. The schedule should be posted early next week, and there should be a lot of indie/story games to choose from. We'll continue to add games to the schedule right up until the day before the con, I imagine. So feel free to sign up for games ahead of time, or register to run some games. You can also just show up and jump in on games. Last year we had plenty of room in most of our games.

We'll also have some table space set aside for some games on demand style stuff. And there will be an inide games booth where you can come and demo games as well.