Games In Your Mom's Attic

edited October 2007 in Story Games
I am visiting my mom this weekend. Every time I visit my mom, I invent a reason to go up to the attic and bring down my copy of "Marvel Superheroes Role-Playing Game". And I read through things - I particularly like the little examples and editorial comments in the text - and maybe roll up a character or two (high-tech character: sensory power + distance attack + body alteration (offensive)).

But when it comes time to take it back to Manhattan, I'm like, "Naaaaaah. I'd never play it, I don't have room for it in my luggage, and it's nice having a fun little game to leaf through when I'm visiting my mom anyway."

This is a thread for:
(1) Shout-outs to games you "catch up with" every so often but which do not reside with you
(2) Marvel Superheroes Role-Playing Game, which was Incredible (43). You will note this parenthetical indicates that I prefer the deluxe version of the rules, which is in all manner of ways superior to the yellow box.

The other game that's in this category is Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed, which I kind of want to play, but it's not quite juicy enough.

Comments

• I have my copy of the James Bond RPG within easy reach on my shelf. Haven't played it in 20-odd years, but once a month or so I bring into the john with me and reminisce about the good old days. I used to do the same with my After the Bomb/TMNT Palladium book, but I gave it out as one of the bennies for my charity game this year.
  • RyRy
    edited October 2007
    Dragonlance: Saga was my first RPG, and I still pull out the deck and thumb through the cards now and then. That one lives in my Mom's basement.
  • Posted By: Justin D. JacobsonI have my copy of the James Bond RPG within easy reach on my shelf. Haven't played it in 20-odd years, but once a month or so I bring into the john with me and reminisce about the good old days. I used to do the same with my After the Bomb/TMNT Palladium book, but I gave it out as one of the bennies for my charity game this year.
    Wait, you gave away a book that you used to read in the bathroom?? For charity???
  • If by "use" you mean read, yes. I didn't use it for toilet paper, if that's what you're suggesting.
  • GEORGE: They made me buy it.. A hundred bucks this thing cost me. How dare they?! I got news for you, if it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books.

JERRY: Yeah. I understand Guttenberg used to spend a lot of time in there.

GEORGE: They're selling coffee, bran muffins.. you're surrounded by reading material. It's entrapment!

JERRY: 'French Impressionist Paintings'?

GEORGE: I find the soothing pastoral images very conduc-

JERRY: Thank you very much.
  • I got lots of my old Fighting Fantasy books down recently: they're adventure gamebooks.

I particularly enjoyed Steve Jackson's Sorcery.

Graham
  • Sorcery is made of epic and win. And ZAP and FOG.

I like reading through 'Nexus: The Infinite City'. It's so big its easy to foret stuff between readings. I'd love to run an interdimensional Only Fools and Horses some time.
  • Powers and Perils.
  • edited October 2007
    Marvel Super Heroes Deluxe has one of my favourite bits of game text ever. It's in the powers list at the end, and it goes (quoting from memory, please forgive any errors):-

"Water Breathing: This is a wimp power. Let's face it, when Ulterior-Motive Man asks you what you do and you say, 'I breathe water' you end up wearing a goldfish bowl on your head."

Sorcery was top. But do you remember the barkingly insane bit at the end of the fourhh book, where you had to cast the huge mystery spell, and it sent you back in time, back to a passage right near the start of the book, and made you play the whole thing again to correct an error. There should be statues erected to that sort of insanity.

I recently gave all my attic games away. One of the things I parted with was a full set of Dangerous Journeys. But I actually ran that monstrosity once, so there weren't many tears.

Couldn't bring myself to part with Aria (CANTICLE OF THE MONOMYTH!), though. Or an ancient AD&D module by Robert Fiest and some chums, called "Midkemia Adventures" or something. I hang onto it in the hopes it will be the foundation of my future eBay millions.
  • All my AD&D/D&D stuff (except the 3E stuff), all my Palladium stuff, most of my older games: GhostBusters being the most notable.

I never go "Naw, I've never play it" because that's the first step to finding them tossed. I go "Oh, I'll totally take it home, when I get some room" and then when I buy a new bookshelf, I forget long enough to fill it up with more books (which doesn't take long).