Panty Explosion first year sales report

This is the report for Panty Explosion's first year of sales. I've put this under Directed Promotion because it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. I've found it useful and informative when other people have posted similar reports in the past. Hopefully someone will get something out of this report as well.

Matt and I released Panty Explosion at Gencon 2006. It's been one year and a few week since the book has been available. Our goal and expectation was to sell 250 copies of the book.

1294 copies sold since August 2006.

Here's a list of the places we've sold Panty explosion over the last year

Gencon, August 2006
Atarashi Games onlne store, August 2006
DrivethruRPG, September 2006
ENWorld, September 2006
Lulu, September 2006
e23, October 2006
Key 20, October 2006
Arima, November 2006
RPGNOW, November 2006
IPR, November 2006

We sell Panty Explosion in both book and PDF form through large number of outlets. Our primary sales source is our own site, where we sell to both gamers and retailers. Here's an estimated sales breakdown.

Sales through Atarashi Games store: 479 (272 books, 207 PDFs)

Sales through distribution: 396

Sales through 3rd party (IPR , Lulu and Key20): 208

Sales through PDF 3rd party: 211

Notes:

- More then half our sales from the Atarashi Games store are shipped to overseas customers. Our top 5 foreign buyers are England, Japan, Norway, South Korea and Spain.

-IPR didn't receive copies of Panty Explosion until after the book had already been available for several months. When IPR sold out in late 2006 we were only able to send them 8 books to refill their stock. Those sold fast as well. As a result, IPR has been effectively sold out of the book all year. Sloppy planing on my part has resulted in poor sales for IPR. I feel the book could have done better there otherwise.

Jake Richmond
atarashigames.com

Comments

• Holy crap, that's amazing.
  • I think you managed to tap into a sizable market that's not the usual indie RPG crowd, and obviously that's paying off.
  • Good job, you guys. That's fantastic!
  • Don't forget the Powell's copies; those didn't get there through IPR. (Confidential to Mr. Hicks: if you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere.)
  • edited September 2007
    Posted By: xenopulseI think you managed to tap into a sizable market that's not the usual indie RPG crowd, and obviously that's paying off.
    I've been to anime conventions. There are many anime fans that are interested in applying what they view and read to something more than cosplay. Anime/manga fans like me are great at sucking at the teat of this receiving-end of media being fed to us, and it's not just the original roleplayers that found anime that are interested in doing more, creating more.

Jake hit a rich vein, and I think that the setup of the game and its focus is almost, almost perfect for many of that crowd.

-Andy
  • I've been to anime conventions. There are many anime fans that are interested in applying what they view and read to something more than cosplay. Anime/manga fans like me are great at sucking at the teat of this receiving-end of media being fed to us, and it's not just the original roleplayers that found anime that are interested in doing more, creating more.
    Matt and I plan to focus much more on anime and manga fans next year. We've been thinking of ways to reach and interest this market. part of the idea behing redesigning the physical book was to make the product more recognizable for this audience. We plan on attending as many west coast anime conventions as possible next year, including Yaoicon to do some public playtesting of our yaoi project.
  • Don't forget the Powell's copies; those didn't get there through IPR. (Confidential to Mr. Hicks: if you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere.)
    Powell's was really amazing. That was the first time I had ever seen th book for sale anywhere. And at Powell's! fuck. That was really something.

I assume they must have gotten the books through Alliance or whatever games distributor they deal with. I don't have any real confidence that PE can break into the book market, but I'm interested in trying to get the book into more independent bookstores. I think that would be cool, and is maybe doable.
  • Jake, just a warning about the book market. Some independent comics publishers who have broken into the book market were nearly destroyed by the number of copies that got returned, something that doesn't happen in traditional comics distribution. Sticking with a small number of independent bookstores sounds like a safer bet.
  • Sticking with a small number of independent bookstores sounds like a safer bet.
    My plan.
  • I actually ran into two copies of Panty Explosion and one of your other game on a shelf, displayed prominently, in an after-hours board game meet in Athens, GA the day after DragonCon. If they'd been open to doing business, I'd have walked out with both of them. As is, I suppose I'll have to buy the one you've held back for me. :)

I was deeply impressed to find PE there beside Dogs in the Vinyard and an ad on the board looking for Burning Wheel players. It looks like a growing hive of indie games lovers are growing in UGA.

If you're seriously considering a re-construct of the book to better catch the manga/anime crowd, look at Bliss Stage's form. Manga sized and thickness, very stark cover with a geometric insignia. Do the interior with some heavily manga-stylized art and you're most of the way there. The form factor on that is near perfect.

• I actually ran into two copies of Panty Explosion and one of your other game on a shelf, displayed prominently, in an after-hours board game meet in Athens, GA the day after DragonCon. If they'd been open to doing business, I'd have walked out with both of them. As is, I suppose I'll have to buy the one you've held back for me. :)
    That's pretty great. can you tell me the name of the store?
    If you're seriously considering a re-construct of the book to better catch the manga/anime crowd, look at Bliss Stage's form. Manga sized and thickness, very stark cover with a geometric insignia. Do the interior with some heavily manga-stylized art and you're most of the way there. The form factor on that is near perfect.
    I have yet to actually see Bliss Stage (my copy hasn't made it home from Gencon yet), but I do like that size. I intend to publish The Year We All Died at that size. We've received a lot of feedback on both the format and art. Some people feel we should keep the book at the 9x6 size, some people like the smaller size. Same with the art. Some people really want to see a more traditional manga look, others really don't. Matt and I are going to have to think about this for awhile before we come to a real conclusion.
  • The next stage of Bliss Stage will have a different cover, by the way. While the current one is maybe the best thing I've ever designed, it may be lacking significant info the the Robot Vagina Heart Flower doesn't convey.

• edited September 2007
    Posted By: misubaDon't forget the Powell's copies; those didn't get there through IPR. (Confidential to Mr. Hicks: if you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere.)
    I hear you. I take it Powell's is an independent bookstore, but not usually much of an RPG seller? That's almost certainly fed by distro, which Evil Hat isn't doing right now. Options for such a thing might exist on the horizon; we'll see.

Thanks again for providing these stats, Jake. I think they contain many important lessons (or at least, points of data about which we can extrapolate wildly) for us publisher types.

Are all of your "Sales through Distribution" done through Key20's distribution program, or someone else? Who are your distributors?
  • Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanThe next stage of Bliss Stage will have a different cover, by the way. While the current one is maybe the best thing I've ever designed, it may be lacking significant info the the Robot Vagina Heart Flower doesn't convey.
    The next cover will be both the same and different.

yrs--
    --Ben
  • Are all of your "Sales through Distribution" done through Key20's distribution program, or someone else? Who are your distributors?
    Most of our distro sales are one through the Ke20 distro program, although I've provided books to distributors on my own in the past. I have a good relationship with Jason, but I'd like to eventually deal with the distributors on my own. At the moment PE is distributed by Alliance, Blackhawk, Esdivium, ACD and one or two other distributor who I can't remember. I'm currently looking for more foriegn distributors to get the book into countries that are buying it off our site anyway.
    I take it Powell's is an independent bookstore, but not usually much of an RPG seller?
    Powell's is, as far as I know, the biggest bookstore in North America (and considered one of the best). We get tourists from all over the place who come just for Powell's. Powell's actually does have a pretty good selection of RPGs. Probably the best in town.
    it may be lacking significant info the the Robot Vagina Heart Flower doesn't convey.
    My copy arrives via Matt from Gencon tonight (finally)!
  • That's pretty great. can you tell me the name of the store?

That'd be Tyche's Games in Athens. They seemed a very, very indie-positive bunch out that way.

I have yet to actually see Bliss Stage (my copy hasn't made it home from Gencon yet), but I do like that size. I intend to publish The Year We All Died at that size. We've received a lot of feedback on both the format and art. Some people feel we should keep the book at the 9x6 size, some people like the smaller size. Same with the art. Some people really want to see a more traditional manga look, others really don't. Matt and I are going to have to think about this for awhile before we come to a real conclusion.

I like 9x6, because it's a convenient form, but the Bliss Stage book is even moreso, except that it's a right PitA to have lay open on the table while you're trying to work with the game, itself. That being said, so is 6x9. Which is why I like buying games with a 6x9 or lower format and getting the PDFs, taking them to Kinko's, and having them printed 8.5x11 with a coil binding. The scaled-up content means everybody around the table can see the book, regardless, and the coil binding keeps it laying flat. Total win across the board -- except when I don't have a PDF.

Which reminds me, I need to ping Ben about that. :)

• edited September 2007
    Posted By: iagoPosted By: misubaDon't forget the Powell's copies; those didn't get there through IPR. (Confidential to Mr. Hicks: if you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere.)
    I hear you. I take it Powell's is an independent bookstore, but not usually much of an RPG seller? That's almost certainly fed by distro, which Evil Hat isn't doing right now. Options for such a thing might exist on the horizon; we'll see.

Powell's City of Books location downtown has a bigger RPG section than most of the hobby game stores in town. I don't know what their distribution situation is; I know they have a small-books shelf that looks terribly out of place in their games section, with copies of BW and BE, several copies of Elfs, and (as of yesterday) a half-price copy of PTA for some reason.

I gather their game selection is pretty uncharacteristic of independent bookstores, even large ones. So I dunno.
  • it may be lacking significant info the the Robot Vagina Heart Flower doesn't convey.

My copy arrives via Matt from Gencon tonight (finally)!
    Matt just got back to report that my copy of Bliss Stage (and everything else he picked up for me at Gencon) was stolen n Chicago by a young tough.
  • You're kidding me.
  • edited September 2007
    Posted By: jake richmond
    Matt just got back to report that my copy of Bliss Stage (and everything else he picked up for me at Gencon) was stolen n Chicago by a young tough.
    KHAAAAAN