Posted By: Jonathan WaltonGiven the enormity and complexity of the subject matter, and an admittedly artificially-imposed limit of 1000 words or so, I would be shocked if someone could do much better.
James, is that a design challenge? (Write a "foreign" campaign setting in 1000 words that doesn't promote stereotypes or racism?) Because it certainly smells like one.
CHALLENGE! Describe a real-world culture/civilization/whatchamacallit in 1,000 words or less, for the purposes of a role-playing game.
1. You don't have to be a member of the culture/civilization/whatever, but that should be clear in your entry.
2. But you damn sure better not promote racism, stereotypes, or engage in all that post-imperial bullshit.
3. You also better not cater to fanboy stereotypes, to the extent it can be avoided.
4. Your facts, to the extent you include facts, should be accurate, though I'm fine with some fuzziness.
5. No subcultures, no tiny little regional group, no ethnic sub-groups. I'm talking, like, "China."
5A. Yep, 1000 words.
5B. The absurdity of the project is assumed; you don't have to apologize or defend your sketch.
6. You can pick a historical period, though, including Modern Day ___________.
7. Um, due date is... well, what's a good due date? Labor Day?
And maybe when we get all the entries, that can be a Story Games download like the Names Book? (How did that work out?)