Post pictures of story games being played in public here

edited June 2007 in Actual Play
I Hereby Challenge You Thus.

Do it and come here with the pictures. Let's get the hell out of our basements, specialty stores, and niche-serving events, and show people that what we do is a part of what lively, worldly people do.

(I know full well that all I'm actually going to get in this thread is an argument, but I figure it's worth a try)

Comments

• Lively, worldly people have sex too, I hear.
  • Are you coming on to me in front of all these people?
  • Good idea. I'll work on this soon.
  • edited June 2007
    Well, I can take that challenge.

There's a coffee house about two blocks away from my home that just opened up a few months ago. On weekends/Fridays they have really late hours. Lots of sitting room. In fact, the main barista there was this awesome chick named Dixie, who goes to college and lamented to me once (when she saw me reading some game book or other) that she hasn't been able to play D&D for a while. And I totally had her pegged for a Vampire type, but in her own words, "Naw, I love to roll dice and kill shit."

It's a great atmosphere, both in the place and outside of it (next to the place is a bunch of open tables and chairs in this pavillion-style atmosphere), and I've wanted to game there for a while. Not to show off to the masses, but because it's a really, really relaxed environment. Surprisingly so.

If any RTPers want in on this blood, let me know and we'll make it happen in the next few weeks.

-Andy
  • Posted By: misubaAre you coming on to me in front of all these people?
    Would you prefer it be done in private? :)
  • i'm with andy, I can make this happen pretty soon i think.
  • Posted By: AndyThere's acoffee houseabout two blocks away from my home that just opened up a few months ago.
    Where is your coffee house? I think there's an 'It's Your Grind' about two blocks from EndGame in Oakland, CA. But I have a feeling you live elsewhere:)
  • edited June 2007
    Posted By: Caesar_XWhere is your coffee house? I think there's an 'It's Your Grind' about two blocks from EndGame in Oakland, CA. But I have a feeling you live elsewhere:)
    It would rock if I could teleport from one It's A Grind" to another, as by best friend Drew lives in Oakland. Unfortunately, I'm on the other side, in Cary NC.

-Andy
  • Posted By: AndyIt would rock if I could teleport from one It's A Grind" to another, as by best friend Drew lives in Oakland. Unfortunately, I'm on the other side, in Cary NC.
    Stealing this for a game. A chain of coffee houses that allow you to teleport across the world.
  • The DHS would have an absolute fit.
  • Shame - we had arranged to playtest in a pub this sunday but it doesn't look like we have the numbers, which is a pity.

Out of interest are the photos for proof, for fun, or do they have some purpose? I can see some utility as a way to galvanise other gamers - "look! you won't get bobbed in the lake if they discover you!" or alternatively as a way to market rpgs to your non-gamer friends "look - the content is wild but the social context is pretty normal, actually".
  • All of the above.

I'm actually finding it surprisingly hard to find a spot to game that keeps the right hours, is mellow enough, and is sufficiently "public" (i.e. not a total ghost town at the appointed time). Seems like a good thing to maybe keep a directory of in the wiki, once we find some.
  • Posted By: AndyPosted By: Caesar_XWhere is your coffee house? I think there's an 'It's Your Grind' about two blocks from EndGame in Oakland, CA. But I have a feeling you live elsewhere:)
    It would rock if I could teleport from one It's A Grind" to another, as by best friend Drew lives in Oakland. Unfortunately, I'm on the other side, in Cary NC.

-Andy
    Andy, I officially invite you to come out for the fall EndGame Minicon in Oakland. I believe it's in September. I have a feeling your best friend would concur:)
  • Mike, build some bloody pubs in your country!
  • We've got plenty in my country (Portland, that is). They get noisy, is all.
  • Maybe we should do the next Go Play PDX somewhere in public.

With all groups playing Sea Dracula :)
  • I'm finally going to listen to my parents and go play in the street!
  • edited June 2007
    I was so disappointed to see that there were 18 posts yet zero pictures. Well, 19 as soon as I post this.

Does a front porch in a residential neighborhood count as public? If so, I game in public once a week and pics of such will be no problem.

I have been wanting to play in Huntsville, AL's lovely Big Springs Park. It has great outdoor tables. If we do, I'll get some pics.
  • Seattle Gamers Assemble's weekly open games may be moving to a food court, and Ed's a photographer, so we'll undoubtedly see some good photo action out of that.
  • Posted By: AgentFreshDoes a front porch in a residential neighborhood count as public? If so, I game in public once a week and pics of such will be no problem.
    How much foot traffic is able to see what you're doing?
  • edited June 2007
    Maybe we should do the next Go Play PDX somewhere in public.

With all groups playing Sea Dracula :)
    Dangerous. We should do this at the Lents park some time. have a picinic. that would be fun.

I've played Panty Explosion at thatsushi pace down the street. Nobody made fun of us.
  • edited June 2007
    Misuba: Well, there are several cars that go by a low speeds and usually around midnight there's this kind of sketchy guy that comes walking by and says "hi" as he passes.

Probably not public enough.
  • edited June 2007
    Does a State Beach Park count?
  • Posted By: Joshua BishopRobyDoes a State Beach Park count?
    No! You aren't normal enough yet! BE MORE NORMAL!
  • Posted By: KynnPosted By: AndyIt would rock if I could teleport from one It's A Grind" to another, as by best friend Drew lives in Oakland. Unfortunately, I'm on the other side, in Cary NC.
    Stealing this for a game. A chain of coffee houses that allow you to teleport across the world.
    [*tosses out his script for "Starbucks SB1"*]

Oh well, I couldn't figure out the right angle for the inclusion of automatic weapons anyway.

And something tells me I need a camra.
  • We've done a lot of public gaming.

An ongoing Shock: series was run in public for a while. We played in Blenz (coffeeshop chain), Cafe Deux Soleils (funky vegan cafe), and Denny's (Um... it's motherfuckin' Denny's. No descrip needed.)

Me and Jackson Tegu played in a game of Lacuna in a Red Robin's (burger joint).

Unfortunately cameras were scarce. We'll bring cameras to our next in-public gaming session.
  • We look normal and we play in a pub. In fact not just any pub, but the oldest pub in England that is really a cave (no really!). The only problem is we don't play story games much - mostly Earthdawn and Savage Worlds. Does that still count if I get a photo?
  • I'd let Savage Worlds slip in.

Looking normal is optional - normal context is what's key. (But seriously, geek-nation defensiveness is not called for here. This is about expansion of social context, not constriction. No one is coming to take away your dice.)
  • Our group has played at a local bar/restaurant enough times that when we come in, the staff asks me if I need to push some tables together. It's a pretty swanky place, too. Amazing what you can get away with if you just ask and behave like normal human beings.

I'll try to get some photos next time.
  • Unfortunately we didn't get any pictures of it, and it's not precisely as "public" as some other places, but my group played the Shab-Al-Hiri Roach on my back porch in the middle of the day with two other families out in their back yards. It was received with a few odd looks. Then again, we were playing Roach.
  • Posted By: grey.spiralThen again, we were playing Roach.
    Too bad you couldn't have convinced one of the neighbors to play Bantam Whaley.
  • Posted By: AndyWell, I can take that challenge.

There's acoffee houseabout two blocks away from my home that just opened up a few months ago. On weekends/Fridays they have really late hours. Lots of sitting room. In fact, the main barista there was this awesome chick named Dixie, who goes to college and lamented to me once (when she saw me reading some game book or other) that she hasn't been able to play D&D for a while. And I totally had her pegged for a Vampire type, but in her own words, "Naw, I love to roll dice and kill shit."

It's a great atmosphere, both in the place and outside of it (next to the place is a bunch of open tables and chairs in this pavillion-style atmosphere), and I've wanted to game there for a while. Not to show off to the masses, but because it's a really, really relaxed environment. Surprisingly so.

If any RTPers want in on this blood, let me know and we'll make it happen in the next few weeks.

-Andy
    So damn jealous. I think this is one of the things I hate about my city. It seems like every coffee place, store or anything slightly suitable for roleplaying is owned by people that still live in caves.