The inevitable Strange/Norrell question

edited June 2007 in Story Games
I have a few players literally begging for a Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell game, and I'm having a hell of a time deciding on a system. Risus is a bit too open, and Fudge just doesn't seem to fit, but I guess it could work. Forgotten Futures is too restrictive in my book. Sorcerer could do with some major shoe-horning-- with demons defined as fairy servants as well as negative personality traits (Strange's arrogance, Norrell's paranoia and greed) Just looking for a few suggestions as to how I can get this off the ground.

Comments

• Confession: I couldn't get through it.

That being said, my Passages is a pretty good fit. (I had intended that Strange & Norrell would be a bigger influence, but as I said above....) I'm also thinking Seven Leagues would work well.
  • I'm thinkin' Mortal Coil. I'm actually starting up a Jonathan Strange-inspired game using MC as we speak.

• Posted By: shreyasI'm thinkin' Mortal Coil. I'm actually starting up a Jonathan Strange-inspired game using MCas we speak.
    Also a good suggestion. I'm disappointed I didn't think of it.
  • Posted By: Niko Sorcerer could do with some major shoe-horning-- with demons defined as fairy servants as well as negative personality traits (Strange's arrogance, Norrell's paranoia and greed)....
    Or as fairy servants that reinforce arrogance and paranoia, perhaps?
  • I actually spent some time writing a Strange & Norrell game that got several playtests. Of the games out there, I'd say Mortal Coil is a good match. Part of what you might want from a Strange & Norrell game is something that lets you make defining and discovering magic part of the game. Maybe Nine Worlds would work tool.
  • Tony, I don't suppose this game would be still available for playtest, would it?
  • Er... Ars Magica?
  • Niko: take a look here on Tony's game site. Tony made the rules freely available a couple months ago.
  • Awesome.
  • Levi: Ars could work. Especially with tweaks to allow for minor-magician characters like Childermass as part of a magus' retinue.