Why do people rag on AD&D 2e?

2»

Comments

• Well, there's a reason that "system doesn't matter" and GM power lasted so long - because it works really well for a lot of groups in a lot of contexts.

The settings produced for AD&D2 are actually pretty fucking cool no matter what you like.
  • edited June 2007
    Posted By: JDCorleyWell, there's a reason that "system doesn't matter" and GM power lasted so long - because it works really well for a lot of groups in a lot of contexts.
    One could argue that such loose GM'ing, when successful, is really just the result of the group knowing their drives and interests so well that they've started to satisfy them automatically without the need for rules support, having gone "beyond" system as it were. Or maybe they're just happy to meet for chips and beer. Whichever.
    The settings produced for AD&D2 are actually pretty fucking cool no matter what you like.
    Meh. A couple of the AD&D2 settings are indeed evocative (Darksun, Planescape) but just as many are merely mediocre (Greyhawk, despite its venerable pedigree) and a couple, I feel, are really flawed (Ravenloft). The good ones are good in spite of the system they are attached, not because of it, and the bad ones are failures because they accent the system's shortcomings. I felt there was only one really good match of system and setting when it came to AD&D, and that was, suprisinlgy Dragonlance (at least the main DL hardback setting guide, not the railroady adventures). I think that's largely because DL explicitly wrote many of the quirks of the game into the world background, and gave a campaign story that gave a damn good reason for characters to quest in ruins for magical artifacts and level up.
  • Yep, ain't a one of them good because of the system. Hence the 'system doesn't matter' and 'good GMing' bits. Back in the day setting and system were not the same things.

I agree re: Greyhawk. Of course I am a giant Forgotten Realms fan. Perhaps in part because I never read any of the novels. Anyway, this is a bit off topic.
  • Posted By: JDCorleyThe settings produced for AD&D2 are actually pretty fucking cool no matter what you like.
    Here's me loving on Al Qadim, totally. 2nd edition had some rockin' settings.