Smoking kills!

edited March 2006 in Story Games
I don't feel like putting the effort into a full Forge AP, but I played DitV last night with a few of the HackMaster crew. We didn't get to the town, because in the first house we came to Bro. Rafael (Rich) decided to light up a cigar.

Bro. Newton (me), being a decent man told him to put it out and quit smoking. Well, that escalated all the way to guns and Bro. Newton, he died.

Bro. Nathaniel (John), horrifed, beat Bro. Rafael into submission and told him he was going back to Bridal Falls to face the music. About then the townsfolk turned up in force, and Bro. Rafael appealed to them to turn him loose. Heck, that escalated to guns too, and this time Bro. Rafael died.

Do the innocent deserve death?
Do the guilty deserve punishment?

Do you really want to light up a stogie in another man's house?

Comments

• I will never forget the scene in which a woman offered the Dogs lemonade, and they badgered her about whether she was trying to sway their judgment ... it went to the point of them firing a shot into the roof of her parlor, then pointing the gun straight into her face.

Of course she was trying to influence their judgment, in exactly the same low-key, polite way that everyone else did, but she wasn't going to admit that!

• edited March 2006

Just curious: do you consider this to be purely good Dogs play, or rather a somewhat comical anomoly?

I personally find this stuff funny, but also ridiculous to the point of harming the other content that you could get out of the game; I'd generally try to avoid these scenes.

...That said, there was the time that I suggested that the cornbread was "sinfully delicious", and that got the Dogs agitated (once they were done with the cornbread). This wasn't a red herring: it was a demonically enhanced cornbread recipe!

• Just curious: do you consider this to be purely good Dogs play, or rather a somewhat comical anomoly?

I'll tell you what this was: Rich knew the Dogs could call the shots, and he wanted to see how far he could push that. My chr was a decent, God-fearing man (2d8), and he didn't think Bro.R. ought to be taking drugs in a house of the Faithful (read: I decided to show Rich just how it goes down in Dogs). Russell (GM) was paging frantically through the rules trying to keep up.

Yeah, it was good. We had a great time.
  • Shouldn't this go in Actual Play?

• Ummm.... sorry? I'm still getting used to this format. I'm sure God will sort it all out.
  • On a related note, I ran Dogs last night, and Br.Caleb wanted the Dogs to wed him and another girl, and during his plea to them he said, "If you could do such a thing for us, we would thank the King of Life in every way and praise him higher than ever before!" The Dogs look at him and at each other. "So you aren't praising the King as much as you could do, Brother?". He tried to backpedal but to no avial.

Caleb died, and two of the Dogs needed medical attention at the end of it.
  • Who will watch the watchdogs?
  • Who will watch the watchdogs?

Why, that'd be us.

yrs--
    --Ben

• The Dogs look at him and at each other. "So you aren't praising the King as much as you could do, Brother?". He tried to backpedal but to no avial.

Friend Computer: Citizen, are you as happy as you could possibly be?

• The King of Life (as represented by the players themselves) watches the Watchdogs.
  • That's what Bro. Rafael discovered....
  • Friend Computer: Citizen, are you as happy as you could possibly be?
    Wow. How is there not a Troubleshooters in the Alpha Complex alt-setting writeup?
  • http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=17126.0