Go Play Northwest: Seattle, June 22-24

Hello Everyone,

We have dates and a location for Go Play Northwest.

What sort of event is GPNW? It's going to be very much along the Forge Midwest model, with very light structure around lots and lots of games, discussions, playtests, you name it. We'll be spreading the event through three classrooms (classrooms, eh? Where's this going on, anyway? Read on), one or more of which may be designated for content unsafe for minors. Generally this is going to be casual, freestyle,
and comprehensively not quite a convention...

...except we will have a guest of honor and he will be none other than MR. CLINTON R. NIXON!

Yup. Those folks on the West Coast who haven't had the opportunity to meet the CRN will get a chance. Those folks on the West Coast who merely want a face full of the awesome, in the form of a great weekend of gaming, will get that too. And now for the crunchy bits:

We'll be firing off on the weekend of June 22 - 24. That's Friday through Sunday.

Go Play NW is being held at Seattle University, right next to the beautiful Capitol Hill area. Plenty of great food and sights are walkable, and yes, we will have game spaces with blackboards in them. Possibly.

Seattle U is also our official source of lodgings, which I think you'll agree are a fantastic deal given that they include a little sustenance. (No one will frown on you if you decide to run up to Baguette Box for lunch instead, but since so many of our prospective guests are coming from so far away and there is so much going on this year, we wanted to do everything we could to keep the whole trip affordable.)

Room Options:
  • Friday Night Single: $65, Includes Breakfast and Lunch on Saturday
  • Friday Night Double: $50 per person, Includes Breakfast and Lunch on Saturday
  • Saturday Night Single: $65, Includes Breakfast and Lunch on Sunday
  • Saturday Night Double: $50 per person, Includes Breakfast and Lunch on Sunday
Yes, they really are that affordable. For in-city lodgings, this is a ridiculous steal.

As you might expect, we'll be asking a small fee to cover our event costs as well. Here they be:
  • Saturday Only Registration Fee: $15
  • Sunday Only Registration Fee: $15
  • Saturday and Sunday Registration: $25
  • Guest Pass: Free
The "Guest Pass" thing is for people who don't expect to play games or participate actively in things, but will be wandering around. And yes, there will also be unstructured, unofficial goings-on on Friday night.

So: we'd very much like to start getting a better sense of who'd be interested in attending. We know we were a little closed-source on the date, but finding a venue that would work at all was a big struggle. We also know that there's a lot of great events going on, even in the western part of the states, and we hope you'll join us in making Go Play NW a leading source of face-stabbing.

Please use this thread to talk about what sorts of events to plan, and for berating us, etc.

Comments

• You fuckers. I'm in awe.
  • Harper, Nixon, Seattle, and June. 4 things that taste great together.
  • edited February 2007
    I re-posted this on the local gaming list.

What I'm interested in: trying story games I have not yet had a chance to play, for example Polaris, Nine Worlds, Burning Wheel, Conspiracy of Shadows, Covenant, Don't Rest Your Head, The Shadow of Yesterday, Lacuna, Paladin, Schauermärchen, etc.
  • Hot damn! That's mighty tempting. The biggest local con here in Phoenix is the weekend before, but this sounds like pure awesome . . . and it's cheap! Hmm, the question is if I can convince the wife to endure two consecutive weekends of gaming widowhood.

Consider me a 75% likely attendee. I'll try to confirm soon.

Depending upon the line-up of attendees, I'd love to see a game design workshop during the weekend. Other than that, playtesting and play in such an environment sounds great.

Thanks for putting this together.
  • I'll be there with Panty Explosion
  • edited February 2007
    Ah, the old home of Dragonflight. And good timing! The weekend after SIFF is over :)
  • edited February 2007
    Jason: You are soooo coming. Remi, too. Can't break up the team.

Jonathan: Please tell me you can make it, brother.

Sophie: So glad to hear you're coming! I've wanted to meet you for, like, forever. We will definitely rock the story games. I'll be running Nine Worlds.

Eric: Sweetness.

OMG JAKE RICHMOND IS COMING. I am gonna get my psychic beatdown on.
  • Curse you for holding this the same weekend as PaulCon V.

--Paul
  • edited February 2007
    Well, frak. Sorry, Paul. I had no idea. We were really hoping to get you and the other SoCal folks up here.
  • Dammit, the Seattle Opera isn't doing The Flying Dutchman until Aug. That would have made it a hat trick. I'll see what I can do, John.
  • It's only a three hour drive, so... I have a feeling I'll be there at least some of the time :)
  • Posted By: John HarperWell, frak. Sorry, Paul. I had no idea. We were really hoping to get you and the other SoCal folks up here.
    How could you not know? Isn't my birthday a national holiday yet?

--Paul
  • I'm looking at flights already from the Bay Area. Never having been in Seattle before, which are the convenient airports to fly into?
  • The cryptically named, oddly distant SeaTac Int'l Airport is probably your target of choice. Although if it's available it might be neat to fly through King County airport, which is also Boeing's HQ.
  • Posted By: xenopulseIt's only a three hour drive, so... I have a feeling I'll be there at least some of the time :)
    Woot! Portland to Seattle carpool roadtrip nemomeme-style! Christian? Jake? Travis? Colin? Just how many Portland gamers *will* fit in a Jetta? ;) I'm gonna run something - just don't know what yet.
  • Go Play Admin Guys -

I'm 90% sure I'll be there.
    I will have 2 adults and 1 child along for the ride. Let me know if this will be a problem with lodging - I'll look into other options if need be.

Other Stuff:
    1) Are there any more details available on the lodging - room size, etc? I couldn't find anything on the website.
    2) I'm not prepared to run anything, but I'd like to try out games I haven't played before - which at this point is everything other Panty Explosion, DitV, and Shab-al-Hiri Roach.

Nemomeme - I'll have to go in my own car (see above). Still, looking forward to seeing you there.

Cheers,
    Colin Cummins
  • edited February 2007
    If I was the sort of person who had any idea about his schedule four months away, I would definitely confirm. As it is, I will be there barring exceptional circumstances. I'll be driving or otherwise-travelling down from Vancouvers

(I would guess that lodgings are dorm rooms being rented out through the summer, and therefore as small as humanly possible.)
  • At that rate in Seattle during tourist season? Yes, I'm guessing they're as small as any dorm room I've ever seen. :-?
  • Posted By: ColinC
    Other Stuff:
    1) Are there any more details available on the lodging - room size, etc? I couldn't find anything on the website.
    2) I'm not prepared to run anything, but I'd like to try out games I haven't played before - which at this point is everything other Panty Explosion, DitV, and Shab-al-Hiri Roach.
    Hi Colin,

Rooms are pretty small. I'll try to get details for you. Seattle U also has some bigger "premium" rooms with a bit more space at a higher cost. I'll look into those for you. How old is the child?
  • Woot! Portland to Seattle carpool roadtrip nemomeme-style! Christian? Jake? Travis? Colin? Just how many Portland gamers *will* fit in a Jetta? ;) I'm gonna run something - just don't know what yet.

Both Nick and I are going. I believe Travis and April Brown are going as well. I haven't talked to Matt Schlotte yet, but I hope he'll come. Gabe Sutherland too. And Christian and Colin have already weighed in. Thats a crowd of Portland people. We'll definetly try to work some kind of car pool out. Although I do enjoy the train ride between Portland and Seattle.

Jake
  • Posted By: tony dowlerRooms are pretty small. I'll try to get details for you. Seattle U also has some bigger "premium" rooms with a bit more space at a higher cost. I'll look into those for you.
    That would be great. Premium room info would be welcome. Normally I'd leave the family behind, but Seattle is close and they've never been there.
    Anyway, thanks for the info. (And thanks to everyone else who responded to my post too (^_^)
    How old is the child?
    My daughter will be 2 by convention time. Her and mommy will be tripping around Seattle while I game...Unless Clinton comes out with "The Prince's Kingdom: Toddler Edition" before then (^_^)

Cheers,
    Colin Cummins
  • Woot! Portland to Seattle carpool roadtrip nemomeme-style! Christian? Jake? Travis? Colin? Just how many Portland gamers *will* fit in a Jetta? ;) I'm gonna run something - just don't know what yet.

I'm sure we'll work something out. I know Nick and I are going, and I believe Matt Schlotte, Travis and April Brown and gabe Sutherland are planning to as well. I'm sure we can convince some of the other Indie PDX guys to make the trip. Should be cool.

Jake
  • I've been interested in trying to run kid-friendly games. It wouldn't be babysitting or drop-off, just games that can be fun for children and, if they're interested, their parents. Would there be an interest?
  • Posted By: AnemoneAt that rate in Seattle during tourist season? Yes, I'm guessing they're as small as any dorm room I've ever seen. :-?
    Well by comparison, the two hostels I googled up are $21/night, so let's not get carried away. That said, I definitely appreciate the efforts to organize the con somewhere with non-crazy-hotel-rate rooms conveniently available.
  • Oh, absolutely. I wasn't being snarky to the GPNW crew, just reminescing about my university days. :-)
  • Posted By: AnemoneI've been interested in trying to run kid-friendly games. It wouldn't be babysitting or drop-off, just games that can be fun for children and, if they're interested, their parents. Would there be an interest?
    That's an awesome idea. My daughter is still too young for gaming (well, she does set up a mean game of Victorian Tea Party), but I definitely like the idea of family freidnly con activities.
  • This is going to rock so hard that they'll be hearing our cowbell at Dreamation '08. Seattle U is like a twelve minute walk from my apartment. I love walking to gaming cons.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to organize any games myself, tho. I just want to play.
  • I am crazy-excited about this. I'll be running several games, and I can't wait to meet all the people I don't know. Getting to play in a few games with my old gaming friends is going to be a blast.

John, I had no idea you guys were booking Seattle University for this. The location is too awesome.
  • I have an aunt and a very good friend in Seattle.

Hmm...

yrs--
    --Ben
  • Carpooling or trainpooling, either way, going up there together is a great idea. I have to work on Friday, so that might complicate things for those of you who want to get up there early. That all said, I usually like to have my own transportation available, in case some emergency comes up at home... so we'll see. We'll work something out :)
  • Posted By: tony dowlerHi Colin,

Rooms are pretty small. I'll try to get details for you. Seattle U also has some bigger "premium" rooms with a bit more space at a higher cost. I'll look into those for you. How old is the child?
    Dragonflight was held at S-U for years. If you're using the same dorms we used, the rooms are pretty small, but adequate for sleeping. The biggest downside to the dorms was sharing bathrooms with the entire floor. The biggest upside was the cheap room rate. Of course, the dorm rooms also made ideal gaming rooms for individual games.

All that said, this sounds like an awesome event. Where does one sign up?

John Poole
    President
    Dragonflight
  • Of course, the dorm rooms also made ideal gaming rooms for individual games.
    This was a killer feature of Dragonflight. Quiet, private rooms for con RPGs = the sweetness. I wish D-Flight was still at S-U.

(tho, looking at the "Guest Pass" membership option, I'm guessing that the GPN folks are after a more open atmosphere where people can wander around and observe play, so maybe private rooms aren't the right option for this event.)
  • Posted By: johnzoThis was a killer feature of Dragonflight. Quiet, private rooms for con RPGs = the sweetness. I wish D-Flight was still at S-U.
    I do, too. If it hadn't ceased to be an economically viable venue, we'd still be there.

There is something to be said for the more open model. There are aspects of it I like, such as being able to survey all the events, and the vibve you get from a roomful of folks all having a great time. But when it came time for me to run my games, I'd take the private room every time, hands down.
  • I'm 60% certain I can be there, because I have family in Seattle and lodging will be free for me - is it too late to add a Spirit of the Century one-shot to the list of games?
  • As a Seattlite, this is a no-brainer. I'll try to be there for at least a day, maybe two.
  • Not committing to anything yet, but just to give other planners an idea, I will likely run either Don't Rest your Head or Spirit of the Century and moderate/organize either Contenders or Polaris. Based on interest.
  • edited February 2007
    Landon: it is not, and will never be, too late to add games. We plan on doing this basically ad hoc, without scheduled events. One possible problem with this is a lack of complete transparency, as some folks have pointed out in the various Forge Midwest threads. We're definitely interested in ways of making the event self-documenting as well as self-running; Open Space Technology was considered but seems overly formal for an event not focused on discussion.
  • Hm. You might want to consider throwing something up at wikidot.com, just for people who want to run to post their planned games. Nothing as formal as a schedule, but at least a roster so folks can get a good idea of who to go hunt down to get into what games.
  • A wiki sounds like a great idea. Let me know if you need a place to put it.

I'll run Beast Hunters, of course, for anyone who wants to play it. But I'd also like to get to play someone else's games :)
  • A logistics question: When do things (un)officially get underway on Friday?
  • Posted By: ColinCI'm 90% sure I'll be there.
    I will have 2 adults and 1 child along for the ride. Let me know if this will be a problem with lodging - I'll look into other options if need be.
    Colin (and anyone else), according to Seattle U, fire code requires only two people per room, which is a bummer. :( I'd be glad to help in putting together other arrangements though. Whisper or Email me a message if you can't arrange anything.
  • Posted By: Eric J. BoydA logistics question: When do things (un)officially get underway on Friday?
    As soon as people arrive! Hopefuly everyone will be in the same part of the dorm. There's a public seating area in the lobby with comfortable chairs and so on. That would probably be a great way to meet, hang out, and plan games. As the event gets closer we'll figure something out so that nobody shows up and then can't find game. Friday night will be unorganized gaming and hanging out, with the mass gaming kicking off Saturday morning.
  • We'll also publish some contact numbers so late arrivals can touch base and find out which bars people wandered off to. :-)
  • Here's a Codex page for planned gaming, until such time as we get something else together.
  • Do you know (just for my own curiosity) which building(s) you'll use and which hall they'll use for housing?
  • Posted By: LongspeakDo you know (just for my own curiosity) which building(s) you'll use and which hall they'll use for housing?
    The rooms are in the Bellarmine residence hall. The gaming will take place in the classrooms in Pigott Hall. Meals will be in the campus cafeteria (which is actually pretty good) as I recall. Of course there are many other bars, restaurants, and sources of coffee in close proximity.
  • I will definitely be running Mathematica, by the way. The early playtests are going well, and I hope to have a completed game to showcase by Go Play. I also plan to flog John Harper until he promises to run Stranger Things.
  • Oh yeah, one suggestion for a game to run: Sorcerer. That's the game that got me into this funky Story-game hobby in the first place, but I still don't feel like I understand it properly. I'd love to play with somebody who really gets it.
  • Sorcerer. ... I'd love to play with somebody who really gets it.

I don't think Ron is coming... :)
  • Posted By: xenopulseI don't think Ron is coming... :)
    What about, y'know. . .Clinton?

Anyway, I am SO coming! Portland Carpool caravan!! Woo!!!

(Actually, I can't say for certain, but I absolutely will if at all possible.)

Peace,
    -Joel