Hack & Slash (both attackers use a single roll) in a D&D game

Did I already make a thread about this? I forgot

You can approximate the probablities by letting one character use the full d20 as per normal, and then just look at the last digit to see whether or not the monster succeeds.

You kinda might need a lookup table for it; crossrefernce the monster's to hit bonus with the target's AC. If you're already using a version of the game where that's the norm (like RC).

For example let's say Alice hits the monster on a 13+, and the monster hits Alice on a (just looking at the last digit) 6-.

It becomes similar to Hack & Slash in DW. I'm not eager to switch to this, it was more a thought experiment.

Obv the probs don't map exactly because you're replacing 2d20 with 1d20. Buuut it actually got a lot closer than I expected.

Comments

• There are some correlation weirdnesses going on too, which can be mostly mitigated if you give each pretty a set of modulos it hits at, thought that increases handling time. But at least each pretty will have different correlation weirdness.

Big Byrd
    Beak You: 4, 5, 9, 3, 3, 2 The big byrd's beak can be a bit sensitive when striking heavy things, so if you are completely covered in metal, it does not hit on a 4. As usual, [good enough] armor means it does not hit on a 2, and [really good] armor means it does not hit on a 2 and does not do double damage on a 3.

The hit sequence could be randomly generated on the fly, with duplicates doing multiples of damage... or generated per pretty type, then it's like "oh it's a byrd they're vulnerable to 6-8s for sure!"
  • pretties♥

Guy my love, what's the correlation weirdness? Give us math deets!

Just to be really clear about my orig proposal:
    Player hit monster: X or higher on 1d20
    Monster hit player: y or lower of last digit on that same d20 roll

• Very little weirdness now that I look at it, with typical ranges. But in the extreme case where Alice hits on 10+ and bob on [0-], and they both do 1 damage on hit, and Alice has more hp than bob, now it is strictly impossible for bob to ever beat Alice in a 1v1 starting from full hp just beating on each other.

I don't think that's going to reasonably come up, though, and my "pick random numbers" makes it more likely than your "0-x" range.

I guess the other weirdness, which is a bit more likely to come up, is Alice hits on a 15+ and bob on a [4-], now the only time they'll ever hit each other on the same round is when Alice crits. Actually a lesser version of that happens all the time: Alice can never crit without being hit by bob. Assuming nat-20s-crit is a thing in the game. Again, not mitigated by an arbitrary set of numbers, but you can control (is 0 present or not?) what bob does while being critted.
  • Oh, 0 are meant to be read as 10 I think
  • I guess the other weirdness, which is a bit more likely to come up, is Alice hits on a 15+ and bob on a [4-], now the only time they'll ever hit each other on the same round is when Alice crits.

And if 0 are meant to be read as 10, then they don't hit each other when Alice crits either. They just never hit each other in that scenario. Not saying that's great, just being clear about what the orig proposal was

• With 0 ==> 10, there's an even stronger negative correlation between both hitting at once, but maybe that's a good thing? Now most of the time either Alice hits bob or vice versa, but occasionally they hit each other (or never depending on the ranges like 16+/[5-]), and occasionally they miss each other (or never depending on the ranges like 8+/[7-]).