[Shameless promotion] Kuf - a gnostic horror OSR RPG - is now on DriveThruRPG.

edited May 19 in Directed Promotion
I've been working on a horror hack of Ben Milton's rules light OSR game Knave for some time.

As of today the game is up on DriveThruRPG as 'early access', which pretty much means that it is playable but not really done yet. I have translated the text myself and will have some native speaker of English help me sort out the worst cases of abuse of the language, and then I will upgrade the files on DriveThruRPG. So if you've been eager to check it out you can do that now. You'll get the upgrade for free later.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/276227/Kuf-English-translation

The Kult focused blog Razors Through Flesh did a review of the Swedish edition. https://kultrpg428229752.wordpress.com/2019/04/12/kuf-a-different-kind-of-kult/

Comments

• I really dig the implications of the phrase "gnostic horror." Could you explain more about what that means in your game?
  • Well. Humans are divine and our world/reality is a prison. Which I guess is pretty much what gnostic means to me.

In the game it makes the frame story that allows us to play adult Narnia where the PCs make excursions beyond the barriers that keep humanity locked up, and explore the weird places beyond our understanding. Also they get the chance to encounter horrors from the outside that have penetrated into our prison.
  • That sounds pretty exciting! I’ll check it out. Thanks for that handy definition of “gnostic”, as well - it’s perhaps the shortest I’ve heard yet!
  • It's sorta similar to the OSR hack of Kult I was working on but didn't finish #lazy2097
  • I'm really into the narratives and mythologies of gnosticism, hermeticism, and all that Western Esoteric Tradition stuff, so this and Kult sound right up my alley.
  • edited May 21
    I'm a bit hesitant to do the Kuf vs Kult comparison myself, I'm not hugely experienced in Kult. We played it a couple of times in the 90s, but I was always on the player side of the screen.
    But when asked about a Swedish release of the new Kult Petter (one of the writers of the new Kult) said that they should just get Kuf instead. They answered that they already had it and it wasn't the same. So there's that.

Anyway. Last night I came up with this analogy.

Gnosticism + Hellraiser = Kult

Gnosticism + Narnia = Kuf

It is mostly gut feeling at this point. I might have to revise it once I've taken a closer look at Kult.