Help Me Do Some Game Research For A Children's Game

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for children's stories where the protagonist(s) travel by semi-magical means, for example Chitty-Chitty Bang! Bang!, Charlie and the Glass Elevator, and James and the Giant Peach. Do you know any others? Thanks in advance for you help.

Comments

• Flying carpets, broomsticks
  • Narnia’s “portal to another world in the closet” seems like a pretty specific mode of travel.
  • edited May 15
    That's great so far, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Just the title is all I need, really.

But the wardrobe in LWaW is really just a gate. I'm thinking more like ships, and flying cars, and giant peaches, etc.

@2097 Is there a specific story you're thinking about?
  • “The magical school bus”.

The Neverending Story.

• edited May 15
    "flying" riding falling (sometimes even burrowing at high speed) scenes are almost a staple of children movies. You also find them in older initiation stories, often with a (spirit) animal.

It works on something called "phoric sensation". Some interpret it as an echo of being transported by your mother as a baby, some as the sensation of floating when your muscles relax entering sleep. It is also a strong marker for a metaphor or parable. In modern kids shows, it's often simply a metaphor for the magic of production and editing bringing the kids to see different places.

Do you want all of them ? It's an impossible task.
    What about only those stories where the travel makes the spine of the story ?
    Or only the means of transportation as 2097 suggested ?

Kirikou
    Dragonball / Journey to the west
    Niels Olgerson
    Sinbad (the Roc)
    Odysseus (The long boats, magical winds, tempests and waves)
    ... then LotR (the elven boats, eagles!)
    All of the sacred books
    All superhero series
    Most wuxia movies
    Most Disney movies
    Lots of SF movies, for a given definition of semi-magical (Clarke's)
    Etc.

Which brings the question : what's your limit on "children" story ?
    Or simply : please give more context to narrow down the search.
  • edited May 15
    @DeReel Wow!

By children's stories, I really mean children's literature (i.e. the librarian/book-seller definition). My examples where chosen carefully. Fairy tales would be okay too, but I'm really more interested in fantasy-fairytales. Or, to quantify it another way, literature for grade 4-6, or that could be read to a younger audience by a parent.

I don't need them all--just an interesting selection. But I'm looking for the more magical. Flying animals don't really hit the spot, but whatever. I'm thankful for any input.
  • edited May 15
    So far:
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
    Charlie and the Glass Elevator
    James and the Giant Peach
    The Magical School Bus

...influences from myth, Tolkien, Japanese manga/anime... and birth.
  • edited May 15
    Carroll's Alice has various of them including bodily elongation.
    Bellerophon (Pegasus)
    Arabian nights (mechanical flying horse, carpet, turtle)
    7 leagues boots, winged sandals, cape
    Shark/dolphin/whale/turtles back or inside
    Flying/sailing island
    Baron Munchausen (cannonball, hair braid)
    Lunar states and empire (same + vials of pure dew and beef fat onction)
    Little Prince (comet jumping)
    Winx (wings)
    (Miyazaki's, Dreamworks movies)
  • edited May 15
    @DeReel explain the Winx reference, please. And the Miyazaki reference, please. Also, I need titles so I can actually do the follow-up research. Thanks.
  • edited May 15
    Winx is an Italian cartoon that sells on paper too.
    Miyazaki : Nausicaa (free flight wing, ostrich like mount), Pom poko (old tanuki's testicles skin balloon -sic), Chihiro (dream train on the sea), Totoro (cat bus), Flying castle (anti grav minerals) and nearly every time : flying fortresses
  • The Weasleys' flying car, broomsticks, & Hippogriffs in Harry Potter.

Tornados, magic bubbles, hot air balloons, and Ozma's magic carpet (it doesn't fly, just unroll in front of you) in the Oz books.

• Miyazaki : Nausicaa (free flight wing, ostrich like mount), Pom poko (old tanuki's testicles skin balloon -sic), Chihiro (dream train on the sea), Totoro (cat bus), Flying castle (anti grav minerals) and nearly every time : flying fortresses
    Titles for these are:
    Nausicaa: the Vally of the Wind
    Pompoko
    Spirited away
    My neighbour Totoro
    Castle in the Sky

Other Ghibli Titles where children/teens travel between worlds are:
    The Cat Returns
    Arietty (an adaptation of The Borrowers, where a borrower girl needs to leave the house)
    Princess Kaguya (an interpretation of the Japanese Fairytale of the Moon Princess I think)

Further I think there’s a train on a secret mystical platform in Harry Potter, but I haven’t read them since I’m not that interested in them. I read a similar story (in Dutch) in highschool which was called Griezelstate by Antony Horrowitz, and I’ve always felt like HP was a ripoff of that.
  • Oh! Do the Jules Verne books count? Around the World in Eighty Days, 20 000 Leagues under the sea, Journey to the centre of the Earth?

• [1] Shark/dolphin/whale/turtles back or inside
    Flying/sailing island
    I keep thinking of a bunch of examples here, but can’t think of the sources. Children riding on the back of a whale? A giant sea turtle with grass on its back? Etc.

Also:

Riding on a giant moving tree-creature (Treebeard, Lord of the Rings, volume two)

How does the girl in Spirited Away make it to and from the “other” world/place?

• [1] Shark/dolphin/whale/turtles back or inside
    Flying/sailing island
    I keep thinking of a bunch of examples here, but can’t think of the sources. Children riding on the back of a whale? A giant sea turtle with grass on its back? Etc.

Also:

Riding on a giant moving tree-creature (Treebeard, Lord of the Rings, volume two)

How does the girl in Spirited Away make it to and from the “other” world/place?
    Jonah in the belly of the whale, I assume. With Turtle’s back my immediate thought is discworld, but that’s not really a children’s book, though the Tiffany spinoff (I think? The one with the Wee Bleu Men) is a more geared towards kids I think. The social commentary in most of discworld is too advanced for starting readers, which is basically the target group of the original poster, I think.

Not sure about the shark/dolphins either.

As to how Chichiro gets to and leaves the fairy realm: a secluded tunnel gets her in and out, but also, she gets in helplessly following her parents while complaining that it’s not a good idea, and gets out by remembering her name (which was stolen-ish), thus remembering or discovering who she is and then rescuing her parents. (taking matters into her own hands. Initiative, acting upon her conscience, basically, instead of following the parents even when it doesn’t feel right.)
  • edited May 15
    Sorry, american titles got lost in translation.
    In the belly of a shark : Scoubidou (Contes de la rue Broca, Pierre Gripari)
    Lots of mediterrannean tales with helpful dolphins Arion myth being the illustrious example.
  • That's great so far, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Just the title is all I need, really.

But the wardrobe in LWaW is really just a gate. I'm thinking more like ships, and flying cars, and giant peaches, etc.

@2097 Is there a specific story you're thinking about?
    I had one in mind actually: Tam Sventon
  • That's a flying carpet story. For broomsticks, Pratchett comes to mind but that's not really kids' books.
  • That's a flying carpet story. For broomsticks, Pratchett comes to mind but that's not really kids' books.
    Or, Kiki’s Delivery Service, also by Ghibli? Though I’m not sure, I haven’t seen it (yet).
  • Yes that counts
  • The Phantom Tollbooth (acts as a gate but does include the car)
    Explorers (the whole point of the film is building the vehicle)
    The Fantastic Journey (though the 'vehicle' is just walking around the island)
    The Box of Delights
  • There's a lot of unreal travel in Roald Dahl's The BFG, with the giant "walking" between England and his homeland.

• I was also thinking of the Cat Bus in My Neighbor Totoro, as that's definitely a "children's film" as far as genre definitions go.
    Also a children's movie directed by Miyazaki, Ponyo features a magically enlarged toy ship as a plot-significant mean of transportation (plus perhaps several instances of riding on marine animals, IIRC, and running on wave crests, but that's probably not as relevant).
  • How about a D&D themed amusement park ride?

I believe that's the set up for the old D&D cartoon from the 80s.
  • The Box of Delights! I haven't thought about that since I was a kid. My mom ordered it by mail from a British publisher when she was a kid; I don't think I've ever heard it mentioned by anyone else in the US.
  • I don't think I've ever heard it mentioned by anyone else in the US.
    Well, you still haven't, but that made me think of other British TV shows in the fantasy/sci-fi genre that are nominally for children & families, so what about the TARDIS?

• Also, what was that old Disney live-action movie about learning magic called? From about the same age as Mary Poppins, I think. It had the main characters fly around in an enchanted double bed.
  • Also, what was that old Disney live-action movie about learning magic called? From about the same age as Mary Poppins, I think. It had the main characters fly around in an enchanted double bed.
    Bedknobs and Broomsticks!

Also, I just had to think that Gulliver’s travels is another possible example.

• I found nothing in my Swift's memories except for the flying island of Laputta also found in Castle in the sky
  • Howl's Moving Castle