Why does Hillfolk feel so backwards?

In my Inspiration House Rules, I’ve had, for around days now, this text:

But the short tip if the party as a whole wants to net this kind of insp from the bank is to concede to people who don’t have any insp.

That’s wrong. It’s supposed to be:

But the short tip if the party as a whole wants to net this kind of insp from the bank is if the person who don’t have any insp concedes.

I’ve changed it now. This was a geniune mistake. No-one spotted it, not even me.

The question is, why does Hillfolk feel so backwards and why has it always felt so backwards? What’s the explanation for this feeling?

Robin Laws feel free to make an account & chime in.

I love Hillfolk obv but this has been a prob since day one.

The Swedish game (very similar to Hillfolk) Svart av kval, vit av lust by our own @SimonPetterson works the exact opposite way, with “refusal tokens” given to the person who refuses, and you can use other people’s refusal tokens against them. But that’s obv not how insp works insp (just like Drama Tokens) in Hillfolk, is something you use. IDK why it’s feels backwards who gets them. This goes for all my players too.

Comments

• edited May 14
    I have to stop and think every time. "ok, you didn't get what you want, so you do get..."
    And I don't even play full-blown DS, but rather Tom McGrenery's simplified PBTA-ish version!
  • I have to stop and think every time. "ok, you didn't get what you want, so you do get..."
    AAAAH!!! Yes! Kind of a pretty big design flaw (still one of my fave games). (Got suuuch good mileage out of it today with an awesome scene; but still the "uh, wait, now who gets the drama token". Even from me the GM!!!!)