[Community Building] Random Setting Mega Table

Allright. After the downfall of my hastily started last thread, out of it's ashes an equally hastily thread emerges. What if we all work together on a big d100 table to create a random setting for a quick one-shot in an "generic" system like Fate, Risus or even Roll 4 Shoes? I think that might be fun.

I was thinking of three separate tables, one for a descriptor, the other for a group or people or something like that (the subject of the setting) and then a third one for a place.
In this way, we could get a "the XY of the Z" type of setting descriptor elevator pitch kinda thing. If/once this list is done, we could build further upon it or something.

So, let's say that everyone can post up to 5 of each category in one post and has to wait until someone else has posted or a day has gone by (whichever comes first) to add to it.

My first entry will be:
Descriptor: Heroic, Maniacal, Dino-Riding, Cybernetic, Fanatical
Subject: Knights, Astronauts, Mystics, Bureaucrats, Jazz-Musicians
Place: Atlantis, Prussia, Camelot, The Kuiper belt, Elysium

This could lead to setting Pitches like The Dino-Riding Bureaucrats of Camelot, The Maniacal Mystics of Atlantis, Heroic Jazz-Musicians Touring the Kuiper Belt, and many more.

Let's see if we can get up to three hundred entries (a hundred each) before we start adding things like threats or stuff. (Like The Fanatical Astronauts of Elysium in ... (new random content))
  1. Heroic
  2. Maniacal
  3. Dino-Riding
  4. Cybernetic
  5. Fanatical
  6. Reluctant
  7. Unknowing
  8. Unwilling
  9. Undying
  10. Untethered
  11. Melancholic
  12. Deluded
  13. Utopian
  14. Far-fetched
  15. Relentless
  16. Kind-Hearted
  17. Angry
  18. Panic-fueled
  19. Gasping
  20. Killing
  21. Brutal
  22. Decomposing
  23. Funny
  24. Hairy
  25. Singing
  26. Space-Faring
  27. Wild
  28. Refreshing
  29. Deep
  30. Dangerous
  31. Thoughtful
  32. Scaly
  33. Rough
  34. Artistic
  35. Young
  36. Freaked-out
  1. Knights
  2. Astronauts
  3. Mystics
  4. Bureaucrats
  5. Jazz-Musicians
  6. Mercenaries
  7. Doctors
  8. Godlings
  9. Cabbies
  10. Maintenance Bots
  11. Animal-human Hybrids
  12. Plumbers
  13. Saboteurs
  14. Nannies
  15. Rakes
  16. Tourists
  17. Pan-Africanists
  18. Seamen
  19. Mistakenly Swapped
  20. Virus
  21. Golem
  22. Mice
  23. Mutants
  24. Superheroes
  25. Yokai
  26. Elderly
  27. Offsprings
  28. Monkeys
  29. Zen masters
  30. Robot-knights
  31. Luddites
  32. Mechanics
  33. Police Officers
  34. Lovebirds
  35. Dragonkeepers
  36. Cleaning Staff
  1. Atlantis
  2. Prussia
  3. Camelot
  4. The Kuiper Belt
  5. Elysium
  6. Suburbia
  7. The Third Circle Of Hell
  8. Bermuda
  9. Manhattan
  10. Europa
  11. The Land Of Moses (Bible-era Egypt)
  12. The floating islands
  13. 200,000 BC
  14. Timbuktu
  15. Chernobyl
  16. General Hospital
  17. A Copy Of A Slaveship
  18. A Submarine
  19. A Coffin
  20. A Computer Network
  21. Warsaw
  22. Mars
  23. Alaska
  24. The Glass Castle
  25. The World Below
  26. (through) The Looking Glass
  27. (of) The subterranean Kingdom
  28. (in) a pocket watch
  29. (in) the celestial diamond mines
  30. (in) strawberry fields
  31. (on) the road to Santiago
  32. The Death Star
  33. The Jungle
  34. The Steppe
  35. Volcanoland
  36. Jail-planet C-0-NV-1-CT-3-D

Comments

• Reluctant
    Mercenaries
    of Suburbia
  • Unknowing/unwilling/undying/untethered
    Doctors/godlings/cabbies/maintenance bots
    of the third circle of hell/Bermuda/Manhattan/Europa
  • edited May 13
    Melancholy
    Animal-human hybrids
    The land of Moses (Bible-era Egypt)

Great idea for a quick thread! I've thought about this a fair bit, brainstorming some different genre/idea lists for precisely this purpose. The questions becomes how specific or flexible you want to be. "Women" would be a very broad subject (although perhaps not in the RPG world, where games about women are rare!), whereas "Warriors" would be narrower, and "Dishwashers" more so, with something like "Railroad Conductors" being tremendously specific - it pretty much dictates what your game will be about.

Is the idea to have a wide mix of broad to specific, or an even spread of comparable entries? How much do we want to leave up to the players' imagination? Things to consider. May be worth another, different thread at some point.
  • Deluded / Utopian / Far-fetched / Relentless / Kind-Hearted
    Plumbers / Saboteurs / Nannies / Rakes / Tourists
    The floating islands / 200,000 BC / Timbuktu / Chernobyl / General Hospital
  • angry / panic-fueled / gasping / killing / brutal
    Pan-Africanists / seamen / mistakenly swapped / virus / golem
    on a copy of a slaveship / in a submarine / in a coffin / in a computer network / in warsaw
  • edited May 13
    We already have enough to roll three d20 and get some results! A fifth of the way!
    I’ve edited the original post with the list. Phew, tables in html are work on a tablet!
    Paul_T said:

Great idea for a quick thread! I've thought about this a fair bit, brainstorming some different genre/idea lists for precisely this purpose. The questions becomes how specific or flexible you want to be. "Women" would be a very broad subject (although perhaps not in the RPG world, where games about women are rare!), whereas "Warriors" would be narrower, and "Dishwashers" more so, with something like "Railroad Conductors" being tremendously specific - it pretty much dictates what your game will be about.

Is the idea to have a wide mix of broad to specific, or an even spread of comparable entries? How much do we want to leave up to the players' imagination? Things to consider. May be worth another, different thread at some point.

I think because this is just a silly first thread for games like RISUS and basically one-shot evenings of fun, it doesn’t really matter. Seeing the pace of participation I might follow this one up with a more serious and tighter defined one. Or maybe someone else will?
  • edited May 13
    Risus doesn't have to be silly. It is robust enough to survive high levels of silliness.
  • DeReel said:

Risus doesn't have to be silly. It is robust enough to survive high levels of silliness.

Oh, I agree, though it’s made for lighthearted play. (but let’s not deviate here, though I’d be interested in seeing people discuss Risus in a thread)

Anyway, My next five!

descriptor: Decomposing, Funny, Hairy, Singing, Space-Faring
    subject: Mice, Mutants, Superheroes, Yokai, Elderly
    place: Mars, Alaska, The Glass Castle, The World Below, (through) The Looking Glass
  • edited May 13
    Csv
    Wild,Refreshing,Deep,Dangerous,Thoughtful
    Offsprings,Monkeys,Zen masters,Robot-knights,Luddites
    of The subterranean Kingdom, in a pocket watch, in the celestial diamond mines, in strawberry fields, on the road to Santiago
  • As the weekend’s here I’ll add a bit more. I sadly don’t have time to edit the top list with the new stuff today. It’s a busy weekend for myself. But yeah, we’re not at a hundred yet!

descriptor: Scaly, Rough, Artistic, Young, Freaked-out
    subject: Mechanics, Police Officers, Lovebirds, Dragonkeepers, Cleaning Staff
    place: The Death Star, The Jungle, The Steppe, Volcanoland, Jail-planet C-0-NV-1-CT-3-D
  • I am a strong supporter of recursive rerolling on tables.

Descriptors:

full of [people]
    too [descriptor] for [people]
    [people] would like it

People:

the former inhabitants of [place]
    unusually [descriptor] specimens of [people]

Places:

the home of the last surviving [people]
    a strange [place]: it's abnormally [descriptor]
  • @lorenzogatti I’m not quite sure you understood the original request. The rolling is to have words, not exactly further fill in the blanks stuff. Though that could be an exellent thread in itself! Or a follow up for when we complete the 3d100 table here.
  • @The_Bearded_Belgian Nothing in the original post prevents recursivity. I am all for it ! If there's going to be some of that, there needs to be room for it in the table.

But the resulting titles are simply too long. When stating that the result should read "the X Y of the Z" it is implied - and I think it gets through - that X Y and Z are simple terms.

I wonder if the same result @lorenzogatti wants couldn't be obtained with a "title format table" that'd go like "the people of the descriptor place, the people-hunters of the place, the place of the people, etc."
  • Yes. I agree fully with that. It’s already formatted, but a fourth table could be made with different kinds of parameters.
  • Description: Presidential, Biblical, Real-Life, Autonomous, Creative
    subject: Scientists, Princesses, Bikers, Children, Guildmembers
    place: The Colonies, Kaap Goede Hoop, The Bermuda Triangle, Tir Na Nog, Highschool

And with that we’re almost halfway :)