Crowdscourcing ideas: Adding Roleplaying to Fluxx

Hi all,

Recently I played Pirate Fluxx with some friends. Now, Fluxx is a silly cardgame, not a roleplaying game, but the themed sets have some roleplaying cards in them. In Pirate Fluxx it’s the Captain’s Hat, which means that everyone has to refer to you as Captain, or the Talk Like A Pirate rule, which means you get to pull and play extra cards when you talk like a pirate, and can pull and play even more if you’ve been keeping it up for multiple rounds. We had a lot of fun.

Now, in the basic set there are some empty cards to make new rules on, and I’ve been thinking about adding things like that to it. The problem is that it’s not a thematic set, but a more general thing, so I’m kind of stumped on what rules could be.

As I’m typing this up, I’m kind of thinking of some, but I kind of want to see what you guys can come up with to introduce a bit of roleplaying into it.

For those who don’t know the game: Just something roleplaying wise that would guarantee a bonus would be nice.

For those who know the game: Go wild! It can be a rule card, goal card, action card ... It can depend on the motif-cards already in the game, etc.

But now I need to finish up this post, I need to go. I’ll see what I can come up with myself this afternoon.

Comments

• Use 3 senses to describe something.
    Share your inner thoughts & feelings about something.
    Say something glum/jovial.
    Say something mysterious and foreboding.
    Say something suboptimal but authentic.
    Tell us a story about X.
    Show us how you behave as you Xing.

Like these?
  • I think it depends a great deal on whether you mean “people acting or speaking in a certain way” or some more intense version of “roleplaying” (like “creating and interacting with a Shared Imagined Space”).
  • @hamnacb thanks! This is very useful stuff!

@Paul_T mainly the first. The latter would need way more empty cards. Like enough to make an entire new deck, and it would probably end up with a completely different game as well. It’s a cool idea though, but I don’t have time for that. At least not until summer vacation, and I’ve been shoving quite a few projects to that period of time already. :tongue:
  • Hmm... thinking about the idea @Paul_T gave for creating a shared imaginitive space, I think I might have come up with one.

1) When you use your Keeper Cards as an inspiration to tell the group a single scene of a story, you may take and play an extra card. When you use your Keeper Cards as an inspiration to build on a previously established scene, progressing the story, you may take and play two extra cards.

2) When you play a Keeper Card and tell us a story about why it is a thing of legend, you can ignore any Keeper Limits for that card.

Not so sure about the second one, since in the basic set most things are mundane items or abstract concepts. Maybe I’ll take a page out of the ideas @hamnacb suggested and rather make it:

2.2: When you play a Keeper card you can ignore Keeper Limitations when you tell a personal anecdote relating to what the Keeper Card depicts.

It’s not really roleplaying, but it’s storytelling, and that’s fine by me. :smile:
  • Hmm... thinking about the idea @Paul_T gave for creating a shared imaginitive space, I think I might have come up with one.
    2.2: When you play a Keeper card you can ignore Keeper Limitations when you tell a personal anecdote relating to what the Keeper Card depicts.

It’s not really roleplaying, but it’s storytelling, and that’s fine by me. :smile:
    Roleplaying is a subset or form of make-believe and the borders are often very elastic.
    RPGs are hybrid species!