A Cool and Lonely Courage

I have been working on a story game which introduces players to the women spies of the SOE in occupied wartime France. It has very lightweight mechanics, but in play it has allowed very rich stories to be told. It has also proven to be an easy introduction to people who haven’t played RPGs before, which I’m very pleased about.

I’ve written about it in more detail here https://planesailinggames.com/a-cool-and-lonely-courage/ and I’ve included links to both documentaries and dramas of some of the amazing women who were involved in real life.

There is going to be a kickstarter launching for this next week (7th May), and having lurked here for a good while I was wondering whether some of the denizens here might find it interesting and worth backing.

Cheers!

Comments

• ...but in play it has allowed very rich stories to be told.
    What do you think have contributed to this? Is it something special in the mechanics, or any other kind of synergy, that allows the stories become rich?
  • Awesome ( if often tragic) choice of topic!

I'll check out the links.
  • Indeed; great subject matter.

• What do you think have contributed to this? Is it something special in the mechanics, or any other kind of synergy, that allows the stories become rich?
    I think that the game contribution which leads to this is that each player is dealt six cards, and for each chapter of the story one is revealed. The suit gives a broad direction for the scene, although the player chooses the relationships which are going to be in focus. Over five chapters the stories circle around a close-knit group of supporting characters for each player, and this means that when death and misfortune (spades and clubs) arise, the stories affect people that you have developed a relationship within play.

The cards you have are dealt and played blind - you don’t know what the fates of war have in store for you, although because the game is set up so that you are playing flashback scenes leading up to you in prison... you know that it is going to end quite badly.

• Awesome ( if often tragic) choice of topic!

I'll check out the links.

Thanks - happy to answer any questions arising.
  • Indeed; great subject matter.

Thanks Paul, happy to answer any questions you might have about it.
  • More supporting information related to my new game, A Cool and Lonely Courage, kickstarting on 7th May (real soon now!). This is a dramatisation about Nancy Wake, called ‘the white mouse’ by the Gestapo, an amazing spy and leader of the Maquis.

It’s an hour long, but well worth a look.