Rich Stokes....

edited January 2007 in Story Games
You are the Man.

Just had to be said.

-Rob D.

Comments

• Oh, so HE is the one with the plan to keep the brother down. I've been looking for him. I have a few choice words...
  • Crikey!

I take it that means that "the package" has arrived?
  • It has indeed, and is already mostly consumed. Thank you again!

-Rob D.
  • "The package"? Come on, let's not use Story Games for transmitting those secret mafia communiques.
  • Yeah, that Rob sure does get through a lot of Chocolate Hobnobs!
  • Mmm ... chocolate hobnobs! The world's finest biscuit!
  • Only if they're plain chocolate HobNobs. Anything else is an abomination that does not deserve to be called a HobNob.

Graham
  • What about a milk chocolate hobnob? I think you'll find they're superior.
  • I have long held the existence of the chocolate hobnob to be a sign that we are living in a truly decadent society.

Take the most luxurious biscuit you can think of and cover it in chocolate. That's just a waste. It's like adding an extra diamond to the Queen's crown.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about how great I am. Stop talking about biscuits!
  • edited January 2007
    Posted By: andrew_kenrickWhat about a milk chocolate hobnob? I think you'll find they're superior.
    They're not superior, they're just the only ones you can get in most supermarkets. Grrr.

Rich Stokes is great because he supports the Plain Chocolate Hob Nob cause! I'm sure he does, because he's great.

Graham
  • edited January 2007
    Hob Nobs -- of any variety -- are all clearly inferior to the king of biscuits -- FACT!:

Cadbury's Chocolate Brownies

(and in a close second place -- Cadbury's Milk Chocolate Digestives)

EDIT: But Rich is still great because he sends our foreign friends quite good biscuits, whilst leaving the best for us! Hurrah! ;)
  • OK, so I had this gamer friend from England, and he claimed that milk chocolate was disgusting because it tasted, as he put it, "like baby-sick" (which I understand means vomit from an infant).

Now, questions of how he knows what "baby-sick" tastes like, is this an England thing? Or does American milk chocolate taste substantially different from English Milk Chocolate?

Mike

P.S. and, yeah, Rich is pretty cool, fine.
  • edited January 2007
    Posted By: warrenEDIT: But Rich is still great because he sends our foreign friends quite good biscuits, whilst leaving the best for us! Hurrah! ;)
    Actually I sent him a copy of Esoterrorists, which I personally thought was inferior to all types of Hobnob, but better than Cadbury's Baby Sick Bars.
  • Now, questions of how he knows what "baby-sick" tastes like, is this an England thing? Or does American milk chocolate taste substantially different from English Milk Chocolate?

I was pretty much under the impression that everyone in the world but Americans prefer plain chocolate to milk chocolate, which is somewhat of an inferior texture and overly sweet.

• edited January 2007
    Well, I was over in Canada (Vancouver) a few years ago, and I tried some milk chocolate, and it was just barely OK to my English tastebuds (much 'waxier'). But then I heard (from some Canadian friends) that their chocolate was a hell of a lot nicer than US chocolate, so I avoided the stuff like the plague when I was over in Seattle.

Um, that's a long way of saying "I think so" :)

EDIT: Bah! Plain chocolate is like eating coffee beans -- way too bitter and hard. I'd rather have baby sick compared to that :)
  • Oh! He sent you Hobnobs? Why didn't you say so? Rich Stokes is clearly the man.

For what it's worth, I prefer the plain unchocolated Hobnobs. The raw bits of oatmeal that get all stuck to yer teeth are the best. But maybe the chocolate gets icky in transit.
  • Posted By: LarryFor what it's worth, I prefer the plain unchocolated Hobnobs. The raw bits of oatmeal that get all stuck to yer teeth are the best. But maybe the chocolate gets icky in transit.
    HEATHEN.

Hobnobs without the chocolate are just hobs ... or maybe nobs.
  • Timtams, that's where it's at. And they now sell them in the UK.

Also, bad news about Hobnobs
  • Posted By: GB SteveAlso,bad news about Hobnobs
    Oh dear. My commiserations Graham. You'd better stock up!
  • edited January 2007
    No! That's terrible news!

Jason, that's really unpleasant. Besides, Cadbury's Dairy Milk is wonderful stuff.

Graham
  • Seconded. Dairy Milk is the best. It's official, the queen says so, and what she says, goes.
  • image > image > image
    Yup, better than baby sick.
  • edited January 2007
    image>image
  • The English make something that is edible?

*ducks*
  • wrongbadchocolate
  • Near as I can tell, the "plain" (dark) chocoloate hobnobs are still available here in Canada, and it's now late January, so I'm pretty sure it's not just old stock. Straingely, the same product seems to be in two different packages on the same shelf in Safeway, one labelled "dark chocolate" and the other "dark chocolate flavoured" (ew!).

• Posted By: Mike HolmesOK, so I had this gamer friend from England, and he claimed that milk chocolate was disgusting because it tasted, as he put it, "like baby-sick" (which I understand means vomit from an infant).

Now, questions of how he knows what "baby-sick" tastes like, is this an England thing? Or does American milk chocolate taste substantially different from English Milk Chocolate?
    Milk chocolate is an American invention, or popularized in America, I can't remember which (it's my wife that's the patiserie chef, I just get this information second-hand in conversation). What most of the rest of the world calls "chocolate" we Americans call "dark chocolate." So imagine dark chocolate is your baseline, and you're handed this thing that (a) has no bitter 'bite' to it, (b) is creamy-smooth rather than polished-sharp, and (c) is really, really sweet. It's like if you were used to really really good brandy and you were handed a beer and told it was "about the same thing."
  • JBR,
    Posted By: Joshua BishopRobyMilk chocolate is an American invention, or popularized in America,
    No, sorry. Milk chocolate was developed by the Swiss (Daniel Peter and Henri Nestle, 1876; Rodolphe Lindt, 1879), and the process was a carefully guarded secret for decades. Milton Hershey, the first American manufacturer of milk chocolate (1900), had to develop his formulation by experimentation -- that distinctive bitter flavor in Hershey chocolate is sour milk!

Hershey's/America's main contribution was cheap, mass-produced chocolate.

The legally mandated contents for various chocolates are notably less stringent in the US than in the EU, however.

Huh. In the process of corroborating these facts, I've also discovered that "German chocolate" is named for a person, not the country.
  • So my beloved and I were out for a drive in the country last week end and went to our favorite tea shop which is also a purveyoy of British package foods. On the way out I picked up a tube of HobNobs for the first time. We got the plain chocolate, since I could not remember which one was baby sick flavored. I don't know what Iwas expecting from the whole "digestive bisquit" thing but ground glass and barbed wire was not it. They are kind of rough the first time. That said you certainly cannot eat just one. The plain chocolate was pretty yummy. I hope they are in some small way good for you since I will probably go on eating them.
  • Of course they're good for you! It's mostly oats and stuff, fresh from the country. How could it be bad?

Graham
  • And chocolate is practically a vegetable ...
  • That's a relief. I was afraid that the crunchy stuff was old tires or something.
  • Posted By: J B BellNear as I can tell, the "plain" (dark) chocoloate hobnobs are still available here in Canada, and it's now late January, so I'm pretty sure it's not just old stock. Straingely, the same product seems to be in two different packages on the same shelf in Safeway, one labelled "dark chocolate" and the other "dark chocolateflavoured" (ew!).
    We were having ice cream with my wife's family at one point, and someone took a close look at the package of sprinkles (the little candy ice cream additives, that come in chocolate or rainbow). They were labeled as "Chocolate Colored Sprinkles."

So... what exactly makes 'em "digestive"?
  • edited January 2007
    Wikipedia to the rescue!

The name "digestive" comes from a belief that the biscuits had antacid properties due to the use of bicarbonate of soda. They were advertised as aiding digestion, yet subsequent scientific research has concluded this as untrue. This means that consequently it is illegal for them to be sold under that name in the USA, where they are know as the graham cracker.
  • Posted By: andrew_kenrick

HEATHEN.

Hobnobs without the chocolate are just hobs ... or maybe nobs.
    And to think I called you friend for all of these years. You're a defiler of the hobby-nob! The hobnob purists shall take your heart and sacrifice it to Geoff, God of Biscuits!
  • Posted By: Geoff HallAnd to think I called you friend for all of these years. You're a defiler of the hobby-nob! The hobnob purists shall take your heart and sacrifice it to Geoff, God of Biscuits!
    Likewise! I had no idea that all that time living with you you were committing such blasphemies as eating naked hobnobs, biscuits stripped of their chocolatey goodness! begone!
  • Guys, I'm uncomfortable with the aggressive tone here. Let's not condemn ordinary HobNob eaters. Let's welcome them but remind them of the error of their ways: their naked HobNob is incomplete until covered with chocolate.

Milk chocolate HobNob eaters, on the other hand, are scum and must die.

Graham
  • Boy a fifty -fifty decision saved me from death, What Luck! And here I thought I only saved myself from baby-sick flavor.