Follow up (learning curve)

... a one page introductory summary for experienced gamers, as an at-a-glance presentation of how the rules work. So that you can see on one page if you like what the system does (and how it does it) or if you can put aside the game safely because it's not your thing.
One suggestion that came up (at another forum) was this, and the question is: What would >>you<< want to / need to know, to make a decision?

Comments

• Good question. An experienced gamer is probably familiar with a variety of rulesets, so might find it useful when game designers use existing games as reference points. It's easier to say "D&D, but with d6's", then it is to natter on about classes and levels and whatever other terms they've reinvented.
  • I did this for a previous version of my game : a diagram of mechanics, useful to visualize play interactions and reward circuit. For those who like to visualize.
    I'd flip through the pages anyway.
  • I am a fan of visual guides of all kind.
  • edited April 8
    Nested diagram summaries.

First D&D at-a-glance would represent "face danger to get cooler and better at facing bigger dangers" with some coverage of what happens when facing danger goes well vs poorly, and maybe some very broad factors that determine how it goes.

Second D&D at-a-glance would represent risk and resource management and how certain character features play into that. Kind of a dungeoneering overview, including combat but only at broad scale.

Third D&D at-a-glance would get into combat. Turn-taking, hit point attrition, etc.

If you absolutely hate any one of those 3, then okay, simple enough, the game's ruled out for you. But I don't think liking any two of those is enough to rule it in -- you need to like all 3. So I'd want to show all 3 in my "at a glance", even though it's really 3 glances.
  • I really like the quickstart rules for World Wide Wrestling, which explictly talk to the GM and explicitly lay out how to play the first session of a game. I took a major cue from those when writing out the quickstart rules for my last game: a step-by-step guide that tells you what to explain to the players and what to do when you sit down to play for the first time.