Danger Patrol Pocket Tweaks

Hi folx.

It's been a hot minute since I posted anything here, or even visited the Story Games forums. I'd actually forgotten about it, until this morning.

See, I've gotten it onto my head to make (yet another) fantasy hack of Danger Patrol Pocket and had some questions. A Google search turned up a bunch of posts from the forums, and, well, here I am again.

My questions are about Threats, Complications, and the Danger Meter. I sadly haven't been able to actually play the game yet (my group's schedule is all over the place) so these might be things that would become evident after running the game. Without being able to do that, I figured I'd ask to see if other people had done anything similar.

1) Has anyone tweaked the amount of Danger needed for the Threats to "win" the scene? It's set at 10 Danger by default, but adjusting that number could make a scene more or less difficult.

2) Similarly, has anyone modified the number of hits a Threat or Complication needs to be dealt at once in order to be defeated? It's set to 6 hits for a Threat and 3 hits for a Complication, but again, raising or lowering those numbers could make them easier or harder to deal with.

3) How often do you give Threats and Complications a Strength and/or a Weakness? Do you ever give them multiples of either or both? Giving a Threat multiple Strengths or Weaknesses seems like it could be a way to make it easier or harder to deal with without adjusting the hits needed to take it out.

4) How about adjusting the number of threat dice a Complication inflicts? Have you ever assigned more or less than two threat dice?

5) Has anyone assigned threat dice to a Danger, sort of combining the two? That seems like it could be a way to make Threats more dangerous. Like a boss monster for example. Or is that better handled with an actual Complication?

I'm asking all these because I have an idea to make an "Adventure Deck" - a deck of cards with Threats, Complications, and encounter/scene set ups, so that players can toss them down down onto the table and play. I was thinking of ways to make the Threats (currently just typical fantasy monsters) feel mechanically different from one another, or more or less dangerous than one another.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Hrmmm. A few people have looked at this, but I haven't gotten any comments yet. Oh well.

I've made some mock-ups of the Threat cards for that Adventure Deck idea I mentioned above. Behold!

I also started working on the Hero cards.

They're standard US-sized business cards (2"x3.5"), as I like the challenge of working inside a small space.
  • Those look really good!

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with Danger Patrol, so I can't say much more.

Is your experience also that Pocket Danger Patrol does everything Danger Patrol does, so there's not much need to play the full game? (I've heard people say this before.)
  • edited March 7
    Pocket Danger Patrol is kind of my go to game.
    HyveMynd said:

1) Has anyone tweaked the amount of Danger needed for the Threats to "win" the scene? It's set at 10 Danger by default, but adjusting that number could make a scene more or less difficult.

The Gamma Patrol playset has a village card which functions as the Danger Meter with a six tick count-down. Once it is counted down to zero, you flip it over for a second two tick count-down, "Lead the people away from this terrible place". So, someone has tried it. The Gamma Patrol hack is quite good.
    HyveMynd said:

2) Similarly, has anyone modified the number of hits a Threat or Complication needs to be dealt at once in order to be defeated? It's set to 6 hits for a Threat and 3 hits for a Complication, but again, raising or lowering those numbers could make them easier or harder to deal with.

I haven't heard of people changing the required number of hits to eliminate a complication but, there is a member of this board name @Seth_Magdich who has done a lot of hacks of PDP (He's written a number of APs that would be useful to look at for ideas). He suggested three levels of threats: street-level (6 hits), sub-boss (8 or 10 hits) and boss threats (12 hits). I've used it when I've played my Gods & Monsters hack of PDP. It adds nice variety but doesn't change the game system all that much.
    HyveMynd said:

3) How often do you give Threats and Complications a Strength and/or a Weakness? Do you ever give them multiples of either or both? Giving a Threat multiple Strengths or Weaknesses seems like it could be a way to make it easier or harder to deal with without adjusting the hits needed to take it out.

The RAW allow for multiple strengths/weakness or none at all. It's in the Threat-O-Matic table. I always use the table, so, yes, I've played games where some of threats had multiple strengths, etc. It adds variety but doesn't change the game that much.
    HyveMynd said:

4) How about adjusting the number of threat dice a Complication inflicts? Have you ever assigned more or less than two threat dice?

Never heard of that being done. Why not give it a try.
    HyveMynd said:

5) Has anyone assigned threat dice to a Danger, sort of combining the two? That seems like it could be a way to make Threats more dangerous. Like a boss monster for example. Or is that better handled with an actual Complication?

There is a hack called Danger Quest (by Mike Olson?) that has a number of different styles of threats: synergy threats, guardian threats, and epic-level threats. It also introduces d12 legend dice (a kind of bonus die). These all add cool effects to the game for variety's sake. Sometimes I start games with complications already in effect. Your second question, I can't answer.
    HyveMynd said:

I'm asking all these because I have an idea to make an "Adventure Deck" - a deck of cards with Threats, Complications, and encounter/scene set ups, so that players can toss them down down onto the table and play. I was thinking of ways to make the Threats (currently just typical fantasy monsters) feel mechanically different from one another, or more or less dangerous than one another.

The deck idea is cool.

I would suggest you track-down John Aegard's hack, Gamma Patrol; also look for the Danger Quest hack. There is a lot of interesting stuff in them. And read Seth's APs (He's also posted a GMless hack of the game in his APs). There are also a lot of different Threat-O-Matics that have been posted online (here and elsewhere). You should check those out as well. I remember one with 36 rows! And there was an artifact table if I am not mistaken by the same designer (I think it was Mike Wight).

This also might help:
    http://story-games.com/forums/discussion/comment/473978/#Comment_473978 (There is material for PDP in the thread)

http://story-games.com/forums/discussion/comment/461524/#Comment_461524 (There are more of his AP threads like this here. Google is your friend.)

There are quite a few threads here dedicated to PDP. It was very popular for a while and there are a lot of hacks of this game.

nb. edited to fix a missing quote tag.
  • Paul_T said:

Those look really good!

Yes, the do look really cool. I do have one small critique, though. In the RAW, players only get four bonus dice, not five.
    Paul_T said:

Is your experience also that Pocket Danger Patrol does everything Danger Patrol does, so there's not much need to play the full game? (I've heard people say this before.)

@Paul_T The full game has greater character detail/differentiation. There is also a harm track that has mechanical and narrative effects. And there are scene types that are meant to be played in order. That's just off the top of my head. It has more crunch than could be packed into one sheet, of course, but the spirit of play is still the same.

• @Paul_T Actually, I have one more comment about the differences. It was your last comment that made me think a bit longer. If people say that, my guess would be that they are bringing their knowledge of and experience with the full game to the pocket version. I think the spirit of the games are the same, but I wouldn't say they play the same. Some rules are quite different. The full game is a better version--it just doesn't fit on one page. And one page has its advantages.
  • Hi folxs. Thanks very much for the comments and suggestions.

@Paul_T Thanks very much. I actually haven't had a chance to play any version of Danger Patrol yet, so I honestly can't answer that. I have all three versions (Alpha, Beta, and Pocket), and I just like how simple and streamlined the Pocket edition is.

Thanks for all the answers @Hopeless_Wanderer. It looks like I'm several years late to the DPP party, and a few of those links are dead. I did manage to grab a copy of Gamma Patrol though. I'll keep poking around the boards and try to listen to/read some APs.

I'm trying to stay as close to DPP RAW (for right now at least) before modifying things too much. You're right about characters only getting four bonus dice though. With five points to divide between four abilities and limits of 0-2, I couldn't figure out how to make the Human heritage card half interesting. So I just set their abilities at 1 across the board, and gave them a third bonus die to make up for it.