In memoriam to a friend and fellow gamer of over 20 years

edited January 30 in Story Games
I apologize if this isn't appropriate for these boards but since this is tangentially related to role-playing I thought I'd share it here.

I have posted here about a campaign I've played in for about 25 years and that has been running for over 40. A met a friend there by the name of Chris who I gamed with for about 20 years. He was a brilliant role player but his life was hard and he carried many heavy burdens. We drifted apart and I lost contact with him about 5 years ago.

A few days ago I found out that he died in late 2017. It seems that even those he was in somewhat regular contact with did not know of his passing nor does it seem his family. I am afraid that he died alone and no one came for him. This may sound odd or strange but in the 40 years history of our game he was the first of any of the long term players to pass and for some reason this makes it particularly unsettling. He was but 50 years old.

I know the following song from our game and we play it for fallen Rangers of Ithilien. It seems appropriate to me to include them here. Forgive me Chris my many transgressions. Rest in Peace, your burdens are no more.
All the money that e'er I had
I spent it in good company
And all the harm I've ever done
Alas, it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now, I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Goodnight and joy be to you all!

Fill to me the parting glass
And drink a health whate'er befalls
Then gently rise and softly call

Of all the comrades that e'er I had
They're sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had
They'd wish me one more day to stay.
Since it fell into my lot
That I should rise, and you should not
I'll gently rise and softly call

But since it fell into my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and softly call

So fill to me the parting glass
And drink a health whate'er befalls
Then gently rise and softly call
Your story has ended but not forgotten....

Comments

• Sorry to hear you lost a friend, Jay, especially someone so far from old age.
  • A moving tribute, Jay. If there were ever suitable words for someone's passing, taking inspiration from The Lord of the Rings seems like a great way to do so.
  • (pours out a little sake for your homeboy)
  • Losing a friend, even one you've grown apart from, is tough. My sympathies to you, Jay.
  • I can sympathize. I'm not sure what else needs to be said?
    In less than five years, I've lost three friends to; suicide, cancer and once again cancer.
    All in their forties.
  • For all of you who have offered kind words and shared experiences my deepest gratitude. Bless you all and "Thank you."

Best,

Jay