[Velvet Glove Actual Play] Stiletto Sisters

This week You Don't Meet In An Inn joins a teen girl gang!

Today we are playing Sarah Richardson's Velvet Glove!

The Stiletto Sisters have heard that the Red Teeth are moving a big haul to their stash, and they want it! Before the move they begin planning on how to get it from them.

You can find the podcast on itunes here, on not-itunes here, and our RSS.

You can follow us on twitter at Notaninn or email us at YouDontMeetInAnInn@gmail.com

You can also like our facebook page or subreddit for regular updates.

If you'd like to support the podcast please rate and review us on itunes, or share us with your friends on social media!

We hope you enjoy listening!

Comments

• I played Velvet Glove with Sarah Richardson last year, and it was quite a memorable experience (perhaps my most memorable experience in any roleplaying game, in fact).

Are you interested in discussing the game here, in this thread?

• Are you interested in discussing the game here, in this thread?
    Sure thing! I've only run two sessions of it at this point though.
  • This week You Don't Meet In An Inn joins a teen girl gang!

The deal with the Red Teeth has been arranged but it could go very bad, very fast. So it's time to gear up and prepare, which means a trip to the hardware store!

You can find links to the show and our contact info in the OP.
  • How do you find running this game? When I played it with Sarah, the intent got very personal and very intense. I think I would find it challenging to bring that on, as a GM. How is it for you?
  • Since sexual assault is baked into the game it can indeed be challenging to run, specifically when making hard moves. This is definitely a game where you want to discuss lines, veils, and the x-card with your players, and maybe have some lines you won't cross but your players think are still on the table. I also try to remember that even in situations where SA is the obvious hard move I can make other ones.
    If you could elaborate on what you are asking that might help.
  • Yeah, that's a good answer: I wonder about some of the "horribleness" the GM is expected to bring in that game, and whether it's tempting to flinch away from it.

What kind of prep did you do for this game (even if it's just quick mental improvisation)? What did you find were the most useful strands to pull on or elements to introduce?
  • For prep I came up with an initial plot thread (the Red Teeth moving the record players) and then thought about 3 complications (which I don't want to get into because of spoilers). After that it's largely a matter of keeping a variety of hard moves in mind so that when those 6s appear I'm not always following to the obvious option.

As for strands to pull on, I try to keep the vulnerabilities of the PCs in mind, specifically those that are build into Velvet Glove characters. They are girls, young, poor, and (for some) POC. I provide resistance against them primarily in the form of those who have societal power over them because of those traits; boys, adults/parents, and cops.

With an astounding amount of cocaine to their name, the Stilletto Sisters must decide what to do with it. Dump it in the river? Sell it for massive profits? See what it smells like?

• That sounds like solid prep, and similar to what happened in the game I played in. Are the moves and other design features suiting the game well?
  • That sounds like solid prep, and similar to what happened in the game I played in. Are the moves and other design features suiting the game well?
    For the most part. There's been a couple times where it's unclear whether it's Telling A Man To Cool It or Keep On Truckin'. Another problem is that Brains is used for only ONE move, so our Valkyrie was a little disappointed to discover that. Playbook abilities seem solid so far.
  • Thanks for the answers! It makes me much more interested in your podcast.

The Stilletto Sisters have a potential buyer for their coke, now they need to figure out what to charge. Unfortunately the Red Teeth want their bags back.

Everything's set to exchange the coke for cash, but the Red Teeth are clearly up to something. Can the gang get the money and get out alive?

• For the curious I shared my thoughts on Velvet Glove in this Twitter thread:
  • edited April 22
    Clicking through to those tweets, that's some very good description of what was happening in your game and how it felt.

I don't remember our game feeling quite that constrained, but, at the same time, it's clear that the moves are intended to force players and characters into uncomfortable situations without obvious tools to get them out.

I wonder if you were trying too hard to have all resolutions occur via rolled moves? (But I don't know, since I haven't had time to listen to the actual play.)

• I wonder if you were trying too hard to have all resolutions occur via rolled moves? (But I don't know, since I haven't had time to listen to the actual play.)
    There were a couple instances where I just decided that the PC succeeded because there wasn't a move to cover it, and it wasn't where I felt the drama would be most interesting.