D&D is a bestseller this Holiday Season - a watershed moment?

I've been writing about Critical Role and the Rise of D&D quite a bit lately, but it seems the upward trajectory of D&D hasn't stopped there.

I just saw that no fewer than FOUR D&D books (Player's Handbook, DMG, Monster's Manual, and Xanathar's Guide) are in the top 20 books selling on Amazon right now.

They are selling better than Jordan Peterson's "12 Rules" or Michelle Obama's "Becoming" (well, better than the softcover, anyway - the hardcover is currently their #1 top seller, can't beat that!).

That is... really something.

A friend of mine in NYC has just informed me that friends are asking him to teach them how to play D&D in order to improve their dating prospects.

Absolutely remarkable.

Happy holidays, Christmas, and all that good stuff to all of you!

Comments

• D&D has been wiping the slate clean in a way it hasn't since the 80s. All will be death and horror in all directions. It's all over.
  • Oh my fucking God JD we get it.
  • OK, sorry, that was uncharitable. I'm just a little bit annoyed with your doom and gloom.

The bigger D&D and RPGs get, the more tiny countercultural sub-scenes will develop within the mainstream.

They'll be different from and disconnected from this one; you may not recognize or relate to them, or ever even hear about them.
  • "We get it" is a totally valid response.

But the road of "D&D can do anything! Or, at least I must make it so because it's the only RPG" is already well worn and I'm watching it happen again in real time.
  • edited December 2018
    But the road of "D&D can do anything! Or, at least I must make it so because it's the only RPG" is already well worn and I'm watching it happen again in real time.
    Yeah, it's definitely exhausting to watch an entirely new generation go through the same shit without learning from what came before (that's what I read as your "wiping the slate clean"), but doesn't that usually mostly happen anyway? This has been the root of parental anguish since Eve begat Cain and Abel.

And so then the same percentage of people as did before will realize they are unsatisfied with the solution of D&D as everything and they will go in search of other things (or design them).
  • Did I just lose a lot of nerd cred or gain a bunch of veteran cred?
  • Shameless plug:
    My wife's historical fiction about Eliza Hamilton is currently #9 on Kindle.
    Congratulations to your wife, this is actually very impressive!