Theban Sacred Band - the greatest GAY battalion in history

From Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Band_of_Thebes ):
The Sacred Band of Thebes (Ancient Greek: Ἱερὸς Λόχος, Hieròs Lókhos) was a troop of select soldiers, consisting of 150 pairs of male lovers which formed the elite force of the Theban army in the 4th century BC.
How come no one made a game for this yet? "Badass lovers side by side in war" is a theme screaming to be played. We got a queer apocalypse, we got russian ladies fighting nazi, we got angry teenagers at school. I demand my Theban Sacred Band!

Comments

• S/Lay w/Me by Ron Edwards might come very close to this. You'll have to add in the Theban color.
  • @Adam_Dray Not sure how. Pls, explain?
  • How about a game where each player plays two paired characters with complementary skills?
  • Indeed; that has "story game" written all over it.

There are two games which come to mind which may (with reskinning) allow some play of similar themes or ideas:

Grey Ranks

and

Bliss Stage
  • I might be misremembering how S/Lay w/Me works, but it's a game where (according to Wikipedia), "one player is the hero while the other takes on the role of both the hero's lover and his monstrous opponent." I feel like that might be drifted a bit to do Theban gay soldiers.
  • S/Lay w/Me is an adventure of erotic self-discovery for two remarkably isolated characters, a lonely hero and a monster, it has no place at all for a band of 300 rather normal and presumably disciplined people.

Considering that the Sacred Band members were first and foremost Theban soldiers, part of an army for which going to war as a whole was probably the only RPG-worthy interesting activity, I think both the historical Sacred Band and the more general premise of a military force of couples of lovers would be a much better fit for games about being one of many warriors, like Polaris, adding or changing what's needed to support couple relationships. Then the point of the game becomes facing peril with another person.
  • I defer to the people who have played it. <=)
  • For a tradish PbtA campaign The Watch could be the starting point.

Or some kind of Otherkind game where relationship is always a factor?
  • I was confused there for a while, before realising there is more than one RPG called Polaris: This one and this one. I found the latter first, and it's a very trad RPG which seemed a surprising suggestion for this topic!