So.... Google+ is shutting down...

So I reckon we'll see a bunch of folks un-diaspora-ing back here sooner or later, yeah?

What's new?

Comments

• Wandered back here for that exact reason to check things out. Honestly, I'm surprised by how many semi-active folks I actually recognize, which is good to know. It feels weird to just jump back into things, but maybe I'll stick around for a bit and see.
  • edited October 2018
    What's new?
    Well, we're a D&D forum nowadays, for one. The Man was too much for us - you might notice how the paving's all d20s as far as the eye can see.

Jonathan: you might be interested in looking at my on-going 4th edition D&D project, I've been trying to document it here as we roll along. What you did with the game years ago (a bit after it came out, essentially) has been bothering me ever since, leading to my best high fantasy GM's story epic adventure rpg experience ever.
  • Glad to hear it, Eero. I just cited your "hygienic" approach to D&D in an essay for Analog Game Studies. Excited to see what you're doing with 4E.
  • And SG's always secretly been a D&D forum. Remember that week when Andy only let us post about Red Box Hack and IAWA (as a joke, because that's basically what everyone was already posting about).
  • I looked back in for just that reason.
  • J Walt! Staaaaaay!

And seriously I hope a lot of G+ voices make their way over here. :)
  • For those of us who might be returning, what's the general vibe and protocol here these days? Should we just start new threads about design projects we're working on and games we're playing and stuff that we're thinking about (while joining in on the discussion on other threads)? I don't want to overwhelm or drown out the good stuff that's already happening here.
  • edited October 2018
    @J_Walton protocol hasn't changed since last you were here, except maybe for a greater emphasis on making all posts accessible to new folks (e.g. never using Forge jargon without first defining it).

Vibe I would say is less academic/rigorous and more casual conversational.

The patterns honestly fluctuate a lot. There'll be months with lots of OSR chat and months with none, months with mostly long-timers and months with mostly new voices, slow months and busy months.

Recently I think a bunch of new folks have been floating first drafts for feedback. And several long-running actual play threads are going strong. Not sure of any other current trends.

I would guess that the site can handle much more use than it's currently getting, just fine. :)
  • It got me to check back in, too (although I still lurk it up pretty hard).
  • Sweet. Thanks for the overview. I’ll try to comment a bit first, and we’ll see how it goes from there.
  • I really enjoyed many aspects of G+, so it's funny to be getting excited about the potential of people returning to Story Games. :) But I still am!

J_Walt, I think that many of the faces here have changed, even though some old ones remain, and you can feel pretty safe and secure posting and interacting exactly the way you did before. Dave's covered the bases pretty well; I vouch for his breakdown.

Welcome back!

• I did the same and in a bit of morbid curiosity I took a look at the Forge, 37 people actively looking at it at the same time I was. That got me thinking.
  • Heeeeeey I actually really like the idea of coming back here regularly again. This has me feeling warm and also fuzzy.
  • I would enjoy a bit of a reunion with the old crew. Just hearing about what y'all have been up to over the last decade would be nice; I must imagine that I've missed a lot.

A suggestion to G+ veterans: I've been thinking today that I would be interested in retrospectives on the G+ experience. I missed out on that myself pretty completely (never got into it), and I don't do modern social media anyway, so I don't really have a sense for what G+ has been like as a work and hobby environment. Have you been happy with it compared to forums or blogs? I often hear people emphasize how you have more private small-group interaction in social media compared to a forum environment, but what does that mean in practice for our goals as gamers, and is there anything else that you've observed about this whole thing?

If that seems interesting - considering your G+ experience as a whole - perhaps we could have a new thread dedicated to it? I'd read that. I'll throw in a potentially inspiring kernel of a thought, even: while many people have migrated to G+ over the '00s, I've found myself treating Story Games as a weird interactive blog. I basically only interact by putting up my gaming notes (theory and AP - not really design for some reason) on the occasion, and by answering questions other people have. Paul alone is probably responsible for something like 50% of my SG interaction this decade by simply being inexplicably curious about what I'm doing. I can only imagine that G+ or Facebook or such is nothing at all like this... cycle of essay-length correspondence that we engage in here.
  • G+ is/was interesting because it was full of Twitter-length mini-posts, Facebook-style news and reposting, and also semi-regular essay-length meditations. But less and less long, detailed discussions over time, even though there was a fair amount of that in the beginning. Communities also were important for a bit but then seemed to mostly vanish. Categories were interesting but never seemed to be widely used. Circles were helpful but increasingly complex to maintain, so gradually calcified into unchanging lists of people you posted content to. But so much good stuff happened there, despite everything. And I’ll miss the simplicity and clean look of the interface.
  • Oh, I forgot all about here! I love this forum!
  • OK I am back and generally less obnoxiously radical but I think that's mostly because people are now generally down with punching nazis.
  • Well, yes - that culture war stuff is actually the one thing that I wouldn't mind just... leaving it to the social media sites. I think that about 80% of my (limited) interaction with G+ has actually been about dealing with weird politically motivated character assassination against me or my friends. I can only imagine what it's like for somebody American (in the eye of the storm, as it were) who actually tried to make a presence there.
  • Metaphorically speaking.
  • Hey :) I'm posting for the first time in ages (I think), with a little smile on my face! Popping by Story Games brightened my day.
  • This isn’t even that bad on my phone.

stretches legs
  • If the death of G+ leads to me and others returning to this forum, I'd consider that a bit of a silver lining.
  • Looks like I’m moving in full-time.

Pulls up a wooden chair and an end table. A cup of tea steams on the table, next to copies of Blades in the Dark, Follow, the King is Dead, and Masks. The floor all around is littered with piles of Torchbearer notes and ephemera.
  • I really enjoyed many aspects of G+, so it's funny to be getting excited about the potential of people returning to Story Games. :) But I still am!
    Me too! :)
  • I've already vented all my G+ gripes on the other thread, but I've always actively lurked here rather than the G+ version of StoryGames. I tried that community for a while, but it just didn't seem to have as many interesting or fruitful discussions (at least in my definition of those terms).
  • I am really excited to be here again too. It's like coming home.
  • Hey, it's a web forum where I'm not banned (yet)?! According to my post history, I left and the guy who got me mad enough to leave got banned. An outrage against free speech, I'm sure.
  • OMG all the old comments and shit I posted here.

It's not as fraught as reading my Usenet history from college, but whoah younger me had some impulses that needed to be modulated.
  • @johnzo The last thread I started here was apparently some snarky shit called "How Can We Stop Jason Morningstar from Winning the DJA Every Year."
  • edited October 2018
    Hey everyone! Oh look, still has my old profile pic! I doubt I'll find time to post much here I've been super obsessed with making my latest videogame (Dungeon Life, a game worth getting into Roblox for IMO - https://www.roblox.com/games/2184151436/Dungeon-Life-Pre-Alpha - ... truth is I barely used G+ anymore either.

But I still story game once a week, both running the Eastside story games meetup wehre we usually play Protocol (https://www.meetup.com/Story-Games-Eastside/) and playing a campaign in a universe that has spanned from Remember Tomorrow to Microscope to Archipelago - and looks like we're going to do a few sessions of Durance in there next.

Hope you're all doing well!
  • @jdfristrom Jamie, I'd love to hear more about multi-system-hopping campaigns if you ever have a spare moment. That's been a dream of mine for a while, and I'm thrilled you're actually doing it. Is that becoming, like, A Thing That People Do?
  • @jdfristrom Jamie, I'd love to hear more about multi-system-hopping campaigns if you ever have a spare moment. That's been a dream of mine for a while, and I'm thrilled you're actually doing it. Is that becoming, like, A Thing That People Do?
    I'm doing one of those, too. But I definitely don't believe that to be the new normal, like, at all. In fact, this is the first time I remember hearing about another confirmed specimen!

• I'm doing one of those, too. But I definitely don't believe that to be the new normal, like, at all. In fact, this is the first time I remember hearing about another confirmed specimen!
    Sweet! I would love to hear more about this. I feel like there could be good momentum for more of that kind of thing these day, with (1) Vincent pushing his games-composed-of-minigames model (Sundered Land, Firebrands, The King is Dead), and also (2) a reaction to having way too many games that we want to play.
  • @johnzo The last thread I started here was apparently some snarky shit called "How Can We Stop Jason Morningstar from Winning the DJA Every Year."
    It's been 7 years since he last won. So mission accomplished, I guess.
  • August is coming.
  • I'm maybe around too now. I didn't start my own threads often but I'll really miss G+.

Re-reading old Danger Patrol threads and thinking about how Danger Patrol just kept mutating all these years and now patrols are called crews and they hang out in an industrial fantasy city.

I've had some rough anxiety issues the last few years - stopped going to GPNW & hosting my house con. But I've been playing & running more RPGs than ever - just in smaller groups while I develop management strategies.

Sunday group with Christian, Colin & David still going strong. Eleven years now? Started with PTA. We alternate GMs & games. Lots of World hacks mostly. Summer scheduling has been difficult, but I'm facilitating Legacy 2e now.

Rotating week night & Saturday gangs have recently been things like Blades in the Dark (ran a nice long campaign of that I feel good about), Dungeon Crawl Classics (was very active here for a long time), Astonishing Swordmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, Phoenix: Dawn Command, Torchbearer and Scum & Villainy. Recent one-shots have been things like Downfall, Follow & Inheritance.

The main thing I spend my hobby time on apart from two-player war games is prepping a B/X campaign. Many hundreds of hours in now & still no end in sight as to when I'll feel ready to begin the campaign. But I enjoy the lonely fun of prep time.

Things I'm excited about for the near future are maybe running a mini WEG Star Wars campaign & working on adventure materials for the game that was my entry into the hobby in 1980: The Fantasy Trip.

I turned 50 this year. Time is rushing headlong. I don't have much connection to or comprehension of the whole online gaming & 5e resurgence scene. It's a strange thing being active in a hobby but also feeling like both the core and the fringes of it have moved far beyond and past you. It felt like a firehose when I first started poking around the Forge in 2002 & playing Dust Devils and now it's all so much more.

I'm down the block looking at the rainbow refractions in the water near the storm drain. It's all good.
  • I am very happy to know that Story Games is still here, when G+ fades out of our lives and the diaspora searches for new homes.
  • edited October 2018
    Really lovely to be seeing all these faces, familiar and new, as well as the vibrancy of posting.

(Eero, "inexplicable", you say? ;) You made me laugh!)

Welcome!