Mastodon accounts

edited October 2018 in Stuff to Watch
I'm trying out Mastodon - sounds like a good idea to me. And it also feels like a good idea to share my accounts here, in my favorite Internet-place of all time. I currently have two:

@rafu@tabletop.social (for English-language tooting)

@rafu@mastodon.bida.im (for Italian-language tooting)

Comments

• For the vaguely curious, I checked what "mastodon" is in this context from Wikipedia. Seems to be a Twitter alternative.
  • Thanks for sharing. Mine is @nealstidham@dice.camp
  • @Euro Mastedon a non commercial, decentralized twitter
  • edited October 2018
    @Eero_Tuovinen Sorry for assuming everybody already knew what I was talking about! I'd first heard about Mastodon several months, perhaps a year before joining, so I figured it was old news.

Mastodon is a front-end running on the Fediverse federated social network and presenting an appearance similar to Twitter's (or so they say; I've never used Twitter). Posts are limited to 500 characters (plus possibly a picture or video) and you view other people's posts in a feed called a "timeline" - one of several, actually: there's a "home" timeline (posts from the users you are following), a "local" timeline (everybody who is registered on the same server as you) and a "federated" timeline (everybody the people in your local timeline are following, anywhere in the Fediverse).

Being a "federated" social network means, no one single corporation owns all the data and sets all the policy. Everything is free software and community-run. Anybody can run their own server - called an "instance" - and make their own rules for it (like old-fashioned web forums), and all instances communicate with each other (like e-mail) except if actively blocked from doing so at an admin level. If you don't think that's inherently good (it is!), a nice side-effect of federation is you can set up instances based on a common interest/conversation topic (again, sort of like web forums) which makes your "local" timeline into a thematic channel of sorts, interesting to you most of the time (so, for example, dice.camp and tabletop.social are instances populated almost exclusively by RPG players).

What makes Mastodon interesting over other existing federated networks and similar, past experiments (I used to be on identi.ca) is the user base, already large enough to be news-worthy and increasing fast. Thus, this particular setup for a federated network might be reaching the critical mass to be mainstream.
  • a nice side-effect of federation is you can set up instances based on a common interest/conversation topic (again, sort of like web forums) which makes your "local" timeline into a thematic channel of sorts
    In fact, here's someone launching an instance dedicated to OSR:
    https://mastodon.osr.community/about
  • @awinter@dice.camp

Another nice side effect of the federation is that you can tag me in across different federation services. So if you are on friendica (another federated system, more g+ like) and post a long form conversation you can say hey awinter@dice.camp check this out. And I'll get a ping on mastodon and be able to reply. So no more siloing (SG I am looking at you ;) ).
  • yay, another way to fracture discussion
  • The obvious solution is to integrate SG with the federation protocol. So yeah, anybody wants to do the legwork...
  • yay, another way to fracture discussion
    Discussion is going to be fractured anyway. We could well favor means - like this forum - which in principle at least could allow everyone to participate if they wished.
  • You're right, I'm just old and grumpy.

Is this where we think the discussion is going to go after G+? Or does anyone have any idea where that might be? I'm not really keen to use a social network, but I'm kind of at the point again where I want to at least see the conversations people are having, if not participate. It seems like S-G is still a good place to have conversations, but there are a lot of people that used to be here that aren't here any longer.
  • You're right, I'm just old and grumpy.
    I am, too. (:
    Is this where we think the discussion is going to go after G+?
    In principle, I'd like that to be the case. In practice, that would be awkward enough - but then, G+ looked awfully unwieldy to me, and I suspect its success with this crowd was due to integration with Hangouts more than anything else.
  • @hans@quey.org

I just want there to be a good place where we talk about games and playing them.
  • I believe it's right here.
  • Cool. I just added @Hans_c-o and @avram on Mastodon. Thanks for posting here!
  • So we could migrate SG over to a friendica server ;)