[PbtA] Hogwarts: An RPG (Updated: Finished Game Released!)

2»

Comments

• Thanks all! I really appreciate the kind words. And thanks again, @DaveC & @rhysmakesthings, for the feedback earlier in the thread. You were incredibly helpful with making this.

@Deliverator – glad to hear it went so well! Sounds like your group came up with a cool story (and Slytherin Pig is now my fave headcannon, thank you). Very pleased that most of the game systems & the pacing worked well.

I definitely understand your skepticism regarding the Quidditch rules, but having run them with 5 different groups in the past ~2 weeks, I can confidently say they work. The only hitch is that people tend to want to roll when they attempt a cool play, rather than when they attempt a goal. Will probably revise to reflect this.

The feedback on the ‘Magic’ Trait is interesting – I’ve never had a group where *everyone* puts their +2 in Magic. In general, I get around the “Magic is rolled too much” problem by calling for different moves (“Okay cool, you can cast Alohamora no problem, but you’re trying to be discreet about it, so give me a roll +Cunning to Hide & Sneak”). Maybe this actually needs to be written in the GM rules?

One of the philosophical/thematic ideals of the game is that no one House “owns” any particular kind of magic, so I didn’t want to do spells tied to other traits. I am also utterly horrified by the idea of derived stats for this ;) But if you or someone else out there wants to hack the game & give it a shot, I’d love to hear how it goes!

Definitely appreciate the feedback on samey characters & Favorite Class. I’ll consider what I want to do here. Extra die is definitely a cool idea.

Thanks again for running it and for the report & feedback!!
  • Thanks all! I really appreciate the kind words. And thanks again, @DaveC & @rhysmakesthings, for the feedback earlier in the thread. You were incredibly helpful with making this.

@Deliverator – glad to hear it went so well! Sounds like your group came up with a cool story (and Slytherin Pig is now my fave headcannon, thank you). Very pleased that most of the game systems & the pacing worked well.
    Yeah, it was overall really great, in the sense that the fiction we generated felt really appropriate. The only other thing I would say about that, though, was that it felt very complete, in a way that makes me wonder about campaign play. (I'd consider making Advances every 5 XP rather than every 4, for example, in campaign play.)
    I definitely understand your skepticism regarding the Quidditch rules, but having run them with 5 different groups in the past ~2 weeks, I can confidently say they work. The only hitch is that people tend to want to roll when they attempt a cool play, rather than when they attempt a goal. Will probably revise to reflect this.
    Yeah, I obviously have no empirical data on this, so no worries there.
    The feedback on the ‘Magic’ Trait is interesting – I’ve never had a group where *everyone* puts their +2 in Magic. In general, I get around the “Magic is rolled too much” problem by calling for different moves (“Okay cool, you can cast Alohamora no problem, but you’re trying to be discreet about it, so give me a roll +Cunning to Hide & Sneak”). Maybe this actually needs to be written in the GM rules?
    Think about how many things in the rules explicitly call for Magic to be rolled: using Magic items, casting spells, wizard duels, etc. Every single character definitely rolled it 2-3 times more than every other stat combined.

I did occasionally call for people to roll other stats even when, in-fiction, doing magic, but it's not well-supported in the GM-facing rules as currently constituted.
    Definitely appreciate the feedback on samey characters & Favorite Class. I’ll consider what I want to do here. Extra die is definitely a cool idea.

Thanks again for running it and for the report & feedback!!
    You're very welcome. I feel bonus dice is an underused idea in PbtA hacks!
  • edited February 2019
    No real useful feedback here because I played it for a couple hours back in November and failed to take notes, but I just wanted to drop a note of encouragement to say that my group had a great time with this! Good stuff, @DBB ! (Also, note: Your game made the short list of things my RPG veteran friend saw fit to tote with him to Keyston Comic Con!)

I also saw this game listed on the schedule at the Dreamation con this past weekend, in case you weren't already aware of that. :)
  • Regarding Quidditch, I'd focus on generic or mildly specific moves that cause Masks-style negative conditions (for the opponents) and analogous positive conditions (for us), with resources running out and effects accumulating until something decisive like catching the Golden Snitch happens.

Generic action, with some simple ad-hoc rules to link Quidditch events and scoring to reality, would be suitably dramatic and more meaningful than modeling nonsensical and irrational Quidditch action directly: not "let's see if I manage to score 10 points with a daring maneuver or not", but "here's how I spend the temporary advantage I just earned with a daring maneuver to score 10 points".

From a slightly different angle, Quidditch-related conditions (e.g. ending the game too scared to fly again or too broke to replace a lost broom) and acts (e.g. aerial murder attempts and magical cheating) often spill out of the Quidditch field and have lasting consequences: it's appropriate to manage them with the general, normal rules, not with special Quidditch moves in which scoring and experience gains are the only things that really happen.