Favorite LARP warm-ups?

I'm just coming back from GenCon, where I largely hung out at Games on Demand and tried indie and small-press games I hadn't tried before, including a few LARPS. As I get more into indie and Nordic-influenced LARPs, where there are a lot more tools around consent and calibration, I'm finding a lot of people who design or run them include warm-up activities to get players comfortable with movement and with each other, since they're often a little stiff if they're strangers first entering a play space.

But the ones I've experienced so far have been fairly goofy and over-the-top, like standard improv warm-ups: going around in circles making silly noises that other people are meant to imitate, building physical "machines" by holding hands and making repetitive gestures, doing quick comedy scenes where other people can shout out suggestions and relationships, that kind of thing. These are good ice-breakers for strangers, but they tend to get people hyper and silly, I don't feel they set a good tone for serious, contemplative, or emotion-themed games.

So I'm looking for recommendations: do you have any favorite game warm-ups, especially for quieter, more serious one-shot LARPs?

Comments

• Nordic larp invented a few of these techniques but most of them are actually old activities/methods/'conventions' from different kinds of dramatic play (pychodrama, playback theater, process drama, etc). There are hundreds of these warm ups. I love 'Soundscape' for example.
  • hamnacb said:

I love 'Soundscape' for example.

And what does that look like?
  • You all sit in a circle (better: lying on the ground!), eyes closed (faciliator should darken the room if possible) and try to create a soundscape by humming, clapping, etc for minutes. The standard topic is 'jungle' but you should be able to adjust it. It's possible that some people will react silly first, but I've never met anyone who could ruin it. It creates a very strong atmosphere.
  • hamnacb said:

You all sit in a circle (better: lying on the ground!), eyes closed (faciliator should darken the room if possible) and try to create a soundscape by humming, clapping, etc for minutes.

Ah, neat! I wonder how it would work with the topic "factory" in order to set up games where you're playing robots, or "seascape" where you're playing pirates.
  • You need like 4 people to try it out :) I used it with very precise scenery and it was great.