How would you customize stock illustrations?

So, I've recently started a stock art project on Kickstarter where I will be separating assets of each illustration so they can be switched out with other assets.
This is my first venture doing this and wanted some thoughts on what I can do to make this the best value for what I offer.

Some immediate thoughts:
* Make background images larger than they need to be. - One can always crop smaller.

* Color palette needs to be a bit muted to match multiple assets.

* Keep interchangeable character assets as gender-neutral as possible.

The end result should look something like:

What other thoughts and suggestions do you have?

Comments

• This is a great idea!

Making it easy to mask sections, via transparency pixels or even separate images that can be used as masks, help folks like me who are not artists but who are slightly better than average with The GIMP.
  • Really nice illustrations, in a style I like a lot.

I would distribute, in addition to PSD files or exclusively, more practical and portable transparent PNG files containing objects surrounded by a little transparent background, of any size. They should be truecolor or grayscale according to type, with a full 8 or 16 bits alpha channel (including antialiasing as necessary) .

The expected use case for your clip art is browsing a directory, using GIMP'sopen as layers command or the equivalent in other software, and editing using mostly whole-layer operations. A PSD file could be hard to preview correctly and contain complications that interfere with editing.

Nowadays, I'd consider 300 pixels a small image size. Current printers demand inputs at a much higher resolution.
  • I would distribute, in addition to PSD files or exclusively, more practical and portable transparent PNG files containing objects surrounded by a little transparent background, of any size. They should be truecolor or grayscale according to type, with a full 8 or 16 bits alpha channel (including antialiasing as necessary) .

The expected use case for your clip art is browsing a directory, using GIMP'sopen as layers command or the equivalent in other software, and editing using mostly whole-layer operations. A PSD file could be hard to preview correctly and contain complications that interfere with editing.

Nowadays, I'd consider 300 pixels a small image size. Current printers demand inputs at a much higher resolution.
    I appreciate the input and this will definitely help moving forward in preparing the assets.
  • I agree, great ideas. Possibly, also empty scenes/locations without any characters (yet).

I believe a lot of folks here don't have an Adobe license, so something more GIMP-friendly is really helpful.