So it looks like this:
5e inventory sheet
and you download it here
Forget about weights. Clear your mind. This system replaces that with item slots of six different sizes. Tiny, small, ration, medium, big, and heavy.
- Tiny for things you put in your pouch
- Small for things you put in your bag
- Medium for things you hang from your belt
- Big for things you strap onto your bag
Rations are twice as big as small things. They're the only thing that's that size. Heavy is also an unusual size, only a few normal gear items count as that heavy, and they're listed on the sheet.
- List your strength, and ⅓ and ⅔ of it too.
- Check your encumbrance budget. One check mark tells you three things: your penalty (no penalty, just a little slower, or a lot slower and disadvantage on all strength, dex and con rolls), your current gear weight, and how many circles you can mark.
- Mark that many circles. You've already paid for them with the check mark, so just go ahead. The backpack costs a double circle, mark both. Armor can cost 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on type.
- Fill in your gear in the slots that you’ve gotten by marking circles.
Source code is here, improve it!