[Apocalypse World] Planescape?

So, any progress on this idea? I see we had this discussion some years ago, but the author was focused on doing it for Dungeon World, which I'm not really interested. I think the basic idea would be:

1- having functional playbooks related to the setting's archetypes: I think this would inevitably fall on things like Rogues, Fighters, Planar explorers, Proxy champions, etc whatever they're called in the setting. The archetypes presented on Planewalker book could be a starting point;

2- Adding 2 or 3 options for race, again according to setting: Gith, Tieflin, Modron, etc with an associate Racial Move for each;

3- Having Factions as mini-playbooks the player picks at chargen. These could be a separate sheet with 3 special moves or so, and maybe some duties the characters should upkeep or risk losing status (and powers).

4- Link character advancement to beliefs or passions. How to do it, though? Ask each player to declare a couple beliefs and reward XP for upholding/confronting them on scenes? Perhaps have beliefs pre-stated on the Faction sheets?

Alternatively, what about discarding XP altogether and rewarding "Holds" to players as they confront their Beliefs, then use said "Holds" to activate Faction special moves?

Thoughts?

Comments

• The main factions in the blood war are much more important than the role/archetype like rogue, explorer etc. That latter part can just be something you pick some sorta extra move. When you do rogue stuff roll 2d6.

The brunt of the Modron playbook is modron stuff.
    Doesn't that make more sense?
    Like if you're in a faction you are soaked through and through with your alignment with order, with chaos, with good, with evil
  • edited April 2018
    Hmm.. makes sense. The motto of the setting is "Philosophers with clubs" after all.

How would you do advancement based on that?
  • highlighted stats as per AW vanilla
  • I think that linking it to the characters' convitions (and philosophies) would be more fitting to the setting. Problem is, how? :/
  • well maybe you'll come up with something after playing for a while. hewing close to vanilla is a good way to get started quickly
  • Import TSOY/SS Keys - that is, "when you do X, mark experience" moves.
    Do you mean marking experience when doing something appropriate for the character's faction, i.e. the character's goals, but advancing according to the character's playbook, i.e. what the character is?

I'd treat factions and races in the opposite way as 2097: factions as rather informal guidelines, similar in nature to D&D moral alignments, and races (or "archetypes" within varied races like humans) as rules-intensive playbooks.
    Faction-specific moves should be an exception: most factions generally do similar things, they just do them for different reasons.
    Faction-aligned playbooks would be just a constraint (e.g. Modron characters must belong to some extremely lawful faction).
  • You could start with the Planar Codex and swap out the DW stats and playbooks for the AW ones. But add Heritage. Species is incorrect (biologically speaking) and steeped in eugenics and genetic determinism.

We used Factions as Bonds and also in the MC love letters.
    I love this idea! I'm putting this on the tall stack of "games to run whenever I finish the current game" that I have in my head.
  • edited April 2018
    Heritage
    I always say "type of being". The whole "stock"/"heritage"/"family"/"clan" has a sort of anthropology vibe I'm not into
  • @2097 that works too!
  • edited April 2018
    Okay, going with 2097 idea of playbooks as Factions here's a something I came up just to organize my thoughts..

The Dustmen
    Keys: "Life is a false state of existence. Detach yourself from life to transcend" (deny emotions, act like a buddhist)
    Stuff: they manage the Mortuary, a place for caring, embalming and cremating the city's dead.
    Roles: medics, spirit-talkers.
    AW playbook: The Angel ?

Fraternity of Order
    Keys: "Reality is governed by universal laws. Understand the laws, shape reality" (seek knowledge, uphold laws)
    Stuff: The manage the City Court, upholding the law.
    Roles: artificers, inventors, researchers.
    AW playbook: the Savvyhead ?

Revolutionary League
    Keys: "Power structures are inherently corrupt. Bring them down." (Anarchy)
    Stuff: no HQ, operate in covert cells
    Roles: spies, saboteurs.
    AW Playbook: the Turncoat.

...on a hurry, continue later. ;)
  • Heritage
    I always say "type of being". The whole "stock"/"heritage"/"family"/"clan" has a sort of anthropology vibe I'm not into
    edit: thanks akooser♥
  • edited April 2018
    I'd treat factions and races in the opposite way as 2097: factions as rather informal guidelines, similar in nature to D&D moral alignments, and races (or "archetypes" within varied races like humans) as rules-intensive playbooks.
    Faction-specific moves should be an exception: most factions generally do similar things, they just do them for different reasons.
    Faction-aligned playbooks would be just a constraint (e.g. Modron characters must belong to some extremely lawful faction).
    I would say it's the contrary. Factions are the heart of the game, and entirelly different both on what they believe and what they do. Harmonium patrol the streets and arrest criminals for the Guvners to judge and the Mercykillers to punish. Takers collect the taxes. Signers hold the legislative chamber. Dustmen take care of the city's corpses. Godsmen manage the foundry where everything is produced, Sensates provide entertainment and bliss, etc. all the while (secretly) fighting each other for the minds of believers across the multiverse.

Notice how they even suggest functional roles: Harmonium train as guards and soldiers, Mercykillers train as investigators, Godsmen are artificers, Anarchists are saboteurs, Takers are natural negotiators and enterpreneurs (The Operator, anyone?), etc. In this way, playbooks would provide Moves both related to faction belief and faction main activity in the city. Eg: a Dustmen could have "The Dead Truce" that makes undead pacific to them (which comes from their belief that they are already dead anyway) while also having moves related to healing, body anatomy and mending of bones as per their work on the Crematorium.

Further, their "barter" and "gigs" could come from work at the factions HQ. And we could even track their status with the Factions as per Urban Shadows/SCUP/The Turncoat factions rules/duty/debt/etc. Hmmm.. I will sketch a playbook with these ideas and see how it goes.
  • edited April 2018
    You could start with the Planar Codex and swap out the DW stats and playbooks for the AW ones. But add Heritage. Species is incorrect (biologically speaking) and steeped in eugenics and genetic determinism.

We used Factions as Bonds and also in the MC love letters.
    Interesting. I have the PLanar Codex here but never took a good look. How did you incentivate upholding/confronting of one's beliefs or the "belief shapes reality" motto which is central to the setting?

• We used the Open Your Brain move for Beliefs. It was modded slightly so on a 12+ you made a mark and each mark your belief/philosophy became more visibly manifested.
  • That's a great idea! I'm noting it down. ;)
  • @vini_lessa thanks! I think there are like a million ways to represent Factions and Beliefs in the Planescape setting using AW, DW, and Planar Codex. This one worked for us. I'll see if I can dig up what else we tried.