The King is Dead by Vincent Baker is up on Kickstarter

Comments

• Sounds like a better version of White Wolf's Long Live the King RPG party game.
  • I backed! So excited!!!
  • Houray ! So cool !

I can't wait to.see the new Intrigue & Muster, and how In Dreaming Avalon design impacts this final version.

Actually, I m updating my french translation of Mobile Frame Zero: Firebrands in order to steal Dreaming Avalon best ideas
  • Once again my personal embargo on backing Kickstarters (for the sake of my wallet) will have to be broken. This loooks fantastic
  • Looking at the introductory video (which is very good), I wonder how much of the game is actually roleplaying. Is it roleplaying with game elements - or a game collection spiced up with in-character engagement?
  • I don't know how far the design has verged from Firebrands, but Firebrands - which I've played - is very much role-playing. While the "games" are presented as self-contained in terms of rules, the object of those all ties into character development - especially emotional character development - and makes no sense otherwise.
  • edited April 2018
    Allways been fascinated with (the somehow broken) "Long live the King" (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25768/long-live-king) and all that sort of "Mafia-ized semi larp for non rpg gamers."

In !

• edited April 2018
    BeePeeGee said:

Looking at the introductory video (which is very good), I wonder how much of the game is actually roleplaying. Is it roleplaying with game elements - or a game collection spiced up with in-character engagement?

It’s dependent on how you approach it. It’s simply gives instructions. Technically, you could just follow these instructions and have a conversation that didn’t involve much role-playing; however, when I’ve played, we’ve role played the entire time, and it works well as a 100% role playing game. Knowing your tastes, it’s similar to the type of games you like, BeePeeGee.

• To me, it's definitely roleplaying - people take on personas, speak-in-character at times, characters and fictional events are produced and resolved, and so forth.

However, it's a very different format from something like D&D. I've seen some people react to this game in a negative way, in the sense that it didn't seem like the same activity as traditional roleplaying to them. (For instance, there is no GM!)

As @Jeff_B_Slater says, if you consider most structured story games "roleplaying", then you'll definitely feel that this is, too.
  • I've now watched the video, and it sounds like a few things have changed since the version I played:

1. The Skirmish game has been removed. This makes me sad; it was my favourite game!

2. The game has added rules for collecting and exchanging cards, and a more interesting endgame. Both of these are very welcome additions, in my book! They sound like a lot of fun. The earlier playtest versions I used had neither.

In my limited experience with earlier versions of this game, it works really well with players who are interested in and committed to treating it as a "story game" or roleplaying game. (For instance, making choices which create a good story, instead of "trying to win" each game.)

I have a vague feeling that it wouldn't work as well with people who don't understand that aspect of the game's goals. However, it's possible that the new card rules address that - I'd be very curious to see the final product and to give it a try.

• @Jeff_Slater : thanks, Jeff, I'll take a closer look
  • This looks really good, and eminently hackable. Hyped.