[minis] Hey Bob, did'ya know about this one?

So, @komradebob, are you familiar with this little Masters of the Universe roleplaying game?

More to the point, what do you think? Pretty amusing, no? I personally find it charming, but then I'm one of those people who were specifically brain-damaged by MotU at an early age.

Comments

• II didn't. Ill have to check it out further, although I was a bit old for HeMan back in the day.
  • I skimmed it, so just my initial impressions...

Kerr clearly has great love for those toys. Being slightly older, I can't relate as much to He-Man, but almost all of that stuff equally applies to my memories of play with Star Wars action figures, including the waves of figures and the way play tended to roam around the house!

I did think it was interesting that Kerr chooses to couch play in terms of Kids playing with toys that are characters, rather than playing the characters. I'm not sure why Kerr chooses to do that, but I also did something similar when I started writing up some methods for miniatures play ( in my case, I couched it in terms of a creative team using the minis as tools to crash build a movie. Basically, the minis as a kind of story boarding tool, but building the movie one scene at a time).

Seeing someone else take a broadly similar approach got me to thinking about why one might choose to do it.

Both of the things I immediately considered involved a sort of layering of separation, but for slightly different reasons.

1) Separating the players from the characters to get a different kind of play.

Although James K and myself were doing different things, there was a bit of commonality in that the goal is to get players to play from a slightly different Stance than usual in RPGs, a bit more Director Stance. I think that a kind of layering helps with that. Here there's some separation from the player and character, meant as a net positive. You play characters differently when there isn't as much direct character monogamy.

2) It gives a little bit of emotional shielding for adult gamer self consciousness

In James Kerr's game, it's partly shielding just n the subject matter. In my stuff, where toys aren't just referenced but directly used, it gives a fig leaf of emotional shielding.

I think that is actually fairly important to a whole bunch of adult gamers. Kids? Enh, not so much, although as kids age through their tweens and early teens, it might be important then as well.

Having some sort of fig leaf for that allows us to just plain relax and enjoy what amounts to Play Pretend. I think it comes in many forms in gaming circles really. At some level, I think it's a very important aspect even allow good gaming to get off the ground.