Sole: An Exploration Game for One Player

My partner of the last four years very recently and suddenly passed away and I've been dealing with all the different ways that has made me feel, plus coping with the arrangements, informing people of his passing, etc.

Writing creatively is an outlet for me: where words alone can leave me unable to do justice to what I'm thinking or feeling, a game design can allow me to share those things with others without needing to express them directly.

This game has been on my mind for the last week and it says pretty much everything about what I'm feeling right now.

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Jesus, James I'm sorry. Please take care of yourself during this difficult time and if you need help please reach out to a therapist, etc. Thank you for sharing your game.
  • @James_Mullen take care of you.
    I'll read your game in the next days.
    Regards,
    Rob
  • edited September 2017
    My condolences, James. Wish you have good support and company in a difficult time.

All the best and thank you for sharing with us.
  • edited September 2017
    @James_Mullen I'm sorry for your loss. You have my condolences. Please, take care of yourself.
  • The game concept is beautiful, and very touching considering the circumstances of its inception.
    I'm truly sorry for your loss @James_Mullen .
    Take care of yourself now, and keep designing.
  • edited September 2017
    @James_Mullen
    I'm extremely excited to play your game The Thought Police from the great book The Imposters, which I highly recommend. The concept and the design of the game look absolutely awesome. I was wondering if it would be a good fit for our Story Games SLC Thursday sessions. On Thursday's we typically play GMless, one-shots (but rarely we do shorter, GMlite campaigs—but never more than three sessions). Would The Thought Police be a good fit for a four hour one-shot session—45 minutes to facilitate and explain the rules, (it can be very social in the beginning which can take away time), and 3 hours to play the game? Also, I was wondering if you've ever played it with more than six players, we typically have 10 or so, and I imagine it would be best to run a second game, but I thought I would ask if it was a borderline scenario, for example, if only seven people showed up. Anyway, I know you have a lot on your plate so take your time responding. I'm going to play Solo when I get a chance and will give you feedback; however, it will be sometime, as I'm busy of late. I wish you the best going forward and really appreciate and enjoy your designs :smile:
  • Sorry for your loss. It takes a lot but as you realize that person wouldn't want you just to survive but to live for you both, you can grasp the strength of those wishes and make them your own, make all that is was into your present and look at your future. Best regards.
  • This game is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it
  • Would The Thought Police be a good fit for a four hour one-shot session—45 minutes to facilitate and explain the rules, (it can be very social in the beginning which can take away time), and 3 hours to play the game? Also, I was wondering if you've ever played it with more than six players, we typically have 10 or so, and I imagine it would be best to run a second game, but I thought I would ask if it was a borderline scenario, for example, if only seven people showed up.

3 to 4 hours is a good fit for the game: I've played it with five players in around 3 hours total, so the extra hour should easily give you time to make it work with six players. You might even make it work with seven if you implement some of the suggested tweaks given in the game, such as making goals automatically succeed unless blocked or forcing an attempt to out a telepath at the end of each round.

I'm going to play Sole next week, making a post everyday on G+ and sharing it on other social media: I would have started sooner, but there are still things to be done before I think I can commit to that. Thank you to all who have sent me their support during this time.

• I've started a collection to share my play of this game; I'm also very grateful to other people who are also playing it.