Where Else Do You Hang Out Online?

What other communities about story games are out there, which you enjoy being a part of, and would recommend?

It's always nice to see new ideas!

Comments

• The Story Games Community on G+, for sure...
    https://plus.google.com/communities/105298743270221910970

• If you're interested in playing online at all, you can come check out #indierpgs on irc.magicstar.net

Or even if you're not, really. You can just hang out and talk games or whatever. :)

- N
  • If you're interested in playing online at all, you can come check out #indierpgs on irc.magicstar.net

Or even if you're not, really. You can just hang out and talk games or whatever. :)

- N
    Hooray! IRC lives!
  • Nowadays IRC is actually pretty much the only other virtual forum for me. Once I finally get the boot from SG, I'll be one of those old geezers who won't even exist anywhere except some old IRC channels, a forlorn ghost.

The Finnish equivalent of #indierpgs is called #ropeteoria on IRCnet. More theory and less online play, but otherwise the same.
  • I am moderately amazed that IRC is still happening. Go, IRC people, go!
  • I admit I mainly stick to the G+ Communities.
    I forgot RPG.net existed for about a decade and recently returned to it. The site seems mostly unchanged though and not really as focused on this side of things.
    I check in here occasionally, but mainly lurk. Sometimes for things like this, I chime in.

Then there are the gated communities. I use a Google Hangout for an eternal messenger chat going on with the board game people I know. There's Spire's Discord chat from the Kickstarter, which is my first experience with Discord and it's been good fun.
  • I haven't found much traction on G+, so I'm pretty much only active here. When I have more free time, I'll check out G+, but I find it harder to find good content or good responses.
  • Oh Paul, you should come to IRC instead. We're waiting for you to come play Trollbabe with us. Or D&D. Or, apparently, Gamma World. (That English-language channel is like 60% Gamma World based on a two-week survey sample. Still better than the monthly "Who liked the LotR movies?" discussions on the Finnish channel, I suppose.)
  • Ok! I'm in. :)
  • edited August 2017
    @Paul_T - G+ moves fast. It is well-suited for updates, blurbs, knowing who's working on what, and making connections that can then be used in other ways. Conversations there are usually short flurries, nothing at all like the concentrated and sustained dialogue you can find on a forum. But like a search results page, it can be a great starting-point for connecting to people and then jumping off to websites, hangouts, email, etc.

Depending on how you set up your preferences on your home feed and followed connections, it can be a distraction-filled jumble of disparate content, a tightly-focused river of industry news, or a daily voyeuristic glimpse into the lives of your online friends. :-)

• G+ by necessity, and RPG.net occasionally.
  • Tod(AsIf),

That's exactly it. On a forum, I can log quickly, skim to see what new content exists, and then click through to a topic that interests me (and easily make sure I stay up to date on it).

On G+, it's a crap shoot. A slog through a million mini-conversations full of noise, and the necessity to click through comments and feeds to even see where things are heading - in the amount of time I typically have to get online and take a look, I can't even get to any interesting information half the time.

If I was constantly logged on and could keep "up to date" with notifications and a carefully controlled feed, I can see it being a better experience, but I don't have that luxury. Dropping in and out occasionally, and trying to dig through to figure out what's interesting or useful each time (seemingly from scratch) is just a frustrating experience.
  • Yup. I do believe fora will make a comeback for those and other reasons. But the constant stream of social media will not go away. It's the difference between going to a library and hearing random snatches of conversation at a party or in the public square. As The Residents said, "Ignorance of your culture is not considered cool." :-)

• I love the the Stop, Hack, and Roll Podcast's Discord - full of great designers and podcasters... lot's of friendly feedback on designs
  • The Gauntlet podcast's slack channel
  • edited August 2017
    Is listening to podcasts "hanging out"? I do that a lot (though not to actual play, more mechanics discussions and game reviews).

I also appreciate the forum for coming back and referencing old threads (that would be lost on social media).

At the same time, I also like G+ because it forces people to be concise in their questions and statements. On this forum, it seems that often ideas are presented in full breadth, resulting in very long posts.
    Oooh, there is a slack channel for Gauntlet?
  • edited August 2017
    Nowadays IRC is actually pretty much the only other virtual forum for me. Once I finally get the boot from SG, I'll be one of those old geezers who won't even exist anywhere except some old IRC channels, a forlorn ghost.
    Hey! I resemble that remark!

P.S., the Gamma World stuff is new. It's part of Mike's long-term project of re-playing all of the games he had bad experiences with as a kid using his Sorcerer / Cortex smashup instead of whatever rules they come with.

Long live the super possums!

- N
    Oooh, there is a slack channel for Gauntlet?

You get an invite with the 6$ patreon tier.

• Just thinking about this a little further:

Why does G+ feel like a waste of time compared to forums for me?

1. I have to scroll through a news feed, with little bits of each post showing. Often it's not enough to get a clear sense of what the post is about. I could click in and try to read, but there's a lot of them.

Furthermore, the posts are not marked "read" or "unread" (and don't even appear in a predictable order, so I can't go by memory)- I have to literally read each one again on each visit.

By comparison, when I log onto Story Games (or most forums), I can either click on a "see all new/unread posts/replies" button, or quickly scan up and down and just read the titles of new posts. I can pretty quickly then decide which are worth reading.

I can also take in dozens and dozens of topics at a glance (which would take a lot of scrolling and skimming on G+).

Much more time-efficient and less frustrating.

And, of course, if there's something particular I'm curious about, I can find it very quickly. Not so on G+; in the best case scenario, I could stop and think about it, come up with some decent search terms, and hope it pops up.

2. The contents of the posts themselves tend to be much more thoughtful. I just looked at my G+ feed and about two-thirds of the material is stuff like:

"Session 4 of The Watch tonight! #TheWatch #TotallyExcited"

or

"Man, some days just suck, you know? Why do people have to be so mean?"

"I'm working on the new draft of my character sheets. Not going as well as I thought! Better luck tomorrow, I hope..."

In comparison, forum posts tend to... well, at least have some kind of message or discussion topic. I like hearing someone's thoughts on GMless gaming, or dramatic theory, or whatever such thing. When I look at the most recent 8-9 topics on Story Games, they're all interesting to me, and chances are someone put some time into writing something about those topics.

So, while I know lots (most?) people have migrated over there, I find the prospect of switching to that system of communication very, very unappealing. (Like Eero said, when this place shuts down, I may just become a hermit!)
  • edited August 2017
    @Paul_T Because 140 characters breaks the English paragraph form, nothing is cogent anymore It's just one long string of asides. The two platforms by design can't produce the same text-types: G+ is like a telegraph message, a forum post is like an (small) essay.
  • Oh I don't know. I'm writing lots of essay-length work on the Plus.
  • @Paul_T I find G+ to be better for sharing stuff (images, PDFs, etc) and linking to things than it is for discussions. It's also pretty good for getting questions about specific games answered.
  • G+ could be convenient for sharing short-term with people you know, but it's just a form of chat/newsfeed: it lacks the structure and - therefore - the discoverability that make wikis, forums and most blogs (some blogs lack them too) much more valuable for sharing with the world and long-term.

I could "share" a book by throwing it out of the window: technically, anyone could find it and pick it up, but realistically, it will be lost within a day or two.
    My knowledge of G+ is limited, it seems.
  • edited August 2017
    G+ has many flaws which are annoying. The default view for communities sucks in that only the "most popular" posts will show at the top by default, rather than the most recent. Given that the "most popular" posts are sometimes the most banal or useless, that is a problem.

You also lack features that make forums nice, such as being able to directly link to comments, which makes it pretty easy for stuff to get lost under an avalanche of comments and a pain to find. Lack of paging of those comments and not being able to quote other people also adds to the problem.

Having only the ability to make one post sticky in a community also stinks. The only advantage to being in G+ over a forum is the fact that a lot of RPG hobbyists and designers are there.
  • Throwing a book out the window? Great analogy.
    I feel the same way about Tumblr, which apparently also has a robust-ish community of creators and players.
    I feel the same way about Tumblr, which apparently also has a robust-ish community of creators and players.
    What? Where?
  • I admit I mainly stick to the G+ Communities.
    I forgot RPG.net existed for about a decade and recently returned to it. The site seems mostly unchanged though and not really as focused on this side of things.
    I check in here occasionally, but mainly lurk. Sometimes for things like this, I chime in.

Then there are the gated communities. I use a Google Hangout for an eternal messenger chat going on with the board game people I know. There's Spire's Discord chat from the Kickstarter, which is my first experience with Discord and it's been good fun.
    What is Spire about?

I have Discord and have been looking for good gaming rooms/forums therein.