Where do you find games and gamers?

I've been out of the roleplaying loop for a while now, and there's tons of stuff I'd like to play/run other than D&D/Pathfinder or Chronicles of Darkness. Unfortunately, local options are scant. Where do you go online for games and players?

Comments

• I've made some good friends here, as well as on G+. You only need to start with a couple of people to start connecting you to their friends, and so forth.

Online forums for other games you enjoy are a good place to start, as well. (For example, if you're into "PbtA" games, the "barf forth apocalyptica" forum is a good place to go.)
  • edited March 2017
    I've been out of the roleplaying loop for a while now, and there's tons of stuff I'd like to play/run other than D&D/Pathfinder or Chronicles of Darkness. Unfortunately, local options are scant. Where do you go online for games and players?
    Gauntlet Hangouts has one shots and (I think) short campaigns on a regular basis, via Google Hangoouts. You can find their community on G+. Roll20 also lets you search for games online, via their platform. The former is mostly oriented towards story games (PbtA hacks, primarily), though; the latter has tons of DnD/Pathfinder.
    (For example, if you're into "PbtA" games, the "barf forth apocalyptica" forum is a good place to go.)
    People still go there? Last time I logged in an actual tumbleweed rolled across my keyboard.

• Yes, it's a bit quiet these days, but there are still discussions going on. My sense is that it's dormant rather than dead. G+ has definitely been much more active!
  • I've recently started a Classic Traveller campaign using Google Hangouts, it was a slow start, for several weeks just had one player, but it as now grown to 3. I just advertised the game in appropriate Google+ Communities. What has worked best is to actually share the hangout event with the communities.
  • Yes, it's a bit quiet these days, but there are still discussions going on. My sense is that it's dormant rather than dead. G+ has definitely been much more active!
    It's a pity it's not more active. I always found the AW discussions there to be particularly insightful, both re. the game and PbtA design in general. I recall Arvid's AW "Let's Focus on Playbook X" posts were the breakthrough in my understanding how AW works, for instance.

• Yeah, those were fantastic! There's been some talk of updating them for 2nd Ed, but I don't believe anything has come of it.
  • 95%+ of my gaming connections have been made in person, either through friends or at a gaming locale (flgs, on campus, or places we play like restaurants and the library). I have met a couple people online that I've later got together with, either through G+, Facebook networking, or Craigslist, but that's about it. Sorry I can't be of more help, but good luck!