[While the World Ends] Crowdfunding artwork directly on DriveThruRPG

edited November 2016 in Directed Promotion

Hi,
I thought I'd start this thread for two topics.

First, I'm running a crowdfunding for a new edition of While the World Ends, my favorite Sci Fi RPG of all time. I might be a bit biased since I wrote it in the first place, but I think it has stood the test of time. Today, seven years after the first release, I still think it is a brilliant game. It is a GM-less and competitive RPG about people in a future described in shared world building, playable in about 4 hours.

I wanted the game to be prettier so I pulled Claudia Cangini in to help, and she made the gorgeous cover illustration that you can see above. The crowdfunding is to made to pay Claudia to make some pictures to go on the inside of the book as well.

Second, I'm running a crowdfunding for a new edition of my game, directly on DriveThruRPG. No Kickstarter, no Indiegogo, just a shop entry with a PWYW title and a blurb about why it would be nice if you bought the game. Four days into the campaign I'm still finding my way forward, the page has been updated a couple of times. I've talked with gamers around the world about the game and the project.

If you'd like to discuss the first or the second topic I'm here.

The current status is : The first picture goal has been reached.

Comments

• Wihelm, will this be available in book form? If so will it be available in the US? I bought the PDF thinking I would be satisfied but I need the book :)
  • Exciting!
  • edited November 2016
    Jeff: Probably not.

One Bookshelf (who do the printing) won't accept the print files produced in my old Lulu workflow. Making a print version would therefore involve hiring someone to layout the thing all over.

But your request has been noted, if I get several of them I'll reconsider the matter. And IF it is printed it will be via something US friendly. (Anything else would be madness. I have a small following in Sweden, Norway and Italy, but most of my games go to US gamers, and this is why everything has been set up for Lulu printing in the past. They offer free shipping every once in a while, real shipping has grown very expensive in the last years.
  • Jeff: Probably not.

One Bookshelf (who do the printing) won't accept the print files produced in my old Lulu workflow. Making a print version would therefore involve hiring someone to layout the thing all over.

But your request has been noted, if I get several of them I'll reconsider the matter. And IF it is printed it will be via something US friendly. (Anything else would be madness. I have a small following in Sweden, Norway and Italy, but most of my games go to US gamers, and this is why everything has been set up for Lulu printing in the past. They offer free shipping every once in a while, real shipping has grown very expensive in the last years.
    @Wilhelm
    I might just pay the international shipping and buy it from Eero's online game shop; he has been great and I highly recommend his gaming store. Will the rules be changed in the second edition or just the art? Thanks :)
  • Same rules. The presentation of the rules might change a bit if I can make them even clearer.
  • @Jeff_B_Slater , a group over on Facebook drummed up enough support for me to put a print version in the scope of the project.

It will happen after I have fulfilled all my obligations for the current crowdfunding.
  • @Jeff_B_Slater , a group over on Facebook drummed up enough support for me to put a print version in the scope of the project.

It will happen after I have fulfilled all my obligations for the current crowdfunding.
    Awesome, let me know when you start funding the print version :)
  • The crowdfunding has now reached the three pictures level.

But now things are slowing down, I think I have exhausted my channels.

• The crowdfunding has now reached the three pictures level.

But now things are slowing down, I think I have exhausted my channels.

Wilhelm, have you thought about raising additional money for the art work when you do crowdfunding for the book printing? Maybe the interest in the printing of the book could help cover the art as well? Maybe you could even see if people were willing to pay the extra cost of including the art in the printed version? I would definitely pay more and maybe I'm not alone :) Just a thought:)
  • edited December 2016
    The crowdfunding is now closed. Thanks for your support everyone.
    I look forward to sending out the updated game early next year.
    And once that is done I'll look at making that print version that so many of you requested.

@Jeff_B_Slater, perhaps. We'll see. For now I'll focus on the pictures and the updated files for everyone who backed the project.
  • Yesterday I sent an updated file to all the backers. It included Claudia's illustrations and a couple of rules clarifications. I'll leave it with the backers for a while, to get feedback on the new text. In a month or so I'll open up the files again and do one last run on the text. Then the game will become available to non-backers and I'll sort out what is needed to get print copies.

It seems I have burnt my bridges with 30% of my backers already, as they don't accept emails from Wilhelm's Games. But I have high hopes for the remaining 70%. :-)
  • Wilhelm,

I have the new file, and it's great to see. Claudia's illustrations are really wonderful - some of my favourite game art of all time.

However, I still think there are a few spots in the rule text which could use some editing and/or clarifications. (We discussed these privately, as you'll recall; for instance, the way the rules text and summary presents the rules for "helping" in a slightly different way.)

Thank you! This is a very unusual and elegant game, and occupies a very interesting niche. I'm sure I'll revisit it in the near future.
  • Thanks, Paul.

I'll look it over again.
  • drivethrurpg.com/product/197491/While-the-World-Ends-Crowdfunding

A hour ago I posted While the World Ends with the crowdfunded illustrations publicly on DriveThru RPG. At last.

Some random thoughts on the whole 5 month project.

- Crowdfunding on DriveThruRPG is convenient. But it has two major drawbacks. DriveThru takes a larger cut, 30% over Kickstarter's 10%. And since it does not appear on the Kickstarter site it won't benefit from the marketing stuff of being there.

- I bloody hate being accountable on gaming projects. This illustrated edition is gorgeous. But once I had that bag of money every step of the way felt like a chore rather than a fun hobby game design stuff usually does.

- I don't like working with artists. Claudia did excellently, no complaints there (and all previous collaborations with artists have been fine as well). It is all on my end, but I wish I had the patience to learn how to draw myself.

- Once I had the cover illustration i let the scope get out of hand. It was AMAZING and I wanted the whole game to look like that, no matter what the backers came up with. In the end I matched the backers' contributions 1-to-1 to be able to have the illustrations in color, rather than the B/W sketches I had planned on when I first started. So the project is deep in the red, but if Wilhelm's Games performs like previous years I'll be in the black again by New Year. It is good that I don't run an actual company. :-)

- I promised to make a dead-tree edition as well. It is not a lot of additional work to get it there. But I'll leave it aside for now, it is good that I didn't promise a simultaneous release.

- I hate every moment I have to spend in the DriveThru publisher's interface. It is the place to be if one wants to sell PDF games, just as Lulu is the place to be for Print-on-Demand, but damn. That interface is a mess.

For now I'll focus on this project for a while, and it won't be crowdfunded.