Recommend a story game for 10+ players.

Hello!

I've got an RPG friends weekend getaway coming up at the end of the year and there's going to be 10+ of us.

It would be great to get the whole gang around the table for a big story game - what would you recommend?

We're mainly a "trad" RPG crew, so the 2-DM D&D game is being planned, but I'd love an original, working alternative.

Comments

• Mike,

When's your game taking place?

I have a story game that works for a pretty big crowd, although most I've played it with is about 8.

It would take me a minute to write it a new draft, though.
  • Luke Crane's new RPG/LARP, Inheritance, is on Kickstarter now and is for exactly 1 facilitator + 9 players. Not sure if it'd be available on time?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burningwheel/inheritance-0
  • Oh good call!
  • Mist-Robed Gate profits from a large-ish number of players, so that noone feels constrained to be a long-surviving protagonist, but they're equally free to embrace villainous roles or glorious death as an early casualty as well.

Most other games which occur me with about 10 players are larps of a sort or the other.

• It would take me a minute to write it a new draft, though.
    It's in December, so you've got a minute!

@Felan Inheritance looks cool but, no, doesn't look like it would be available. Also sounds like the most self-important parlour game ever, not that I mind. A parlour game could well work.

Most other games which occur me with about 10 players are larps of a sort or the other.
    I was thinking that. I suppose there's something inherently physical about 10 or more people in a room all trying to make themselves heard and no way for a discreet system of turns to be realistically upheld.
  • I've run Vox Populi successfully at a convention for 9 players, including myself: it has the advantage of using tropes that D&D players will be familiar with, plus it doesn't need a GM so you get to play too!
  • I suppose there's something inherently physical about 10 or more people in a room all trying to make themselves heard and no way for a discreet system of turns to be realistically upheld.
    Well, there's a whole lot of, effectively, "talking head" larps around. I think it's more that, once you have 8+ people in a room, group-based social dynamics kick in, and it's much more interesting to work with those than against those.
  • edited September 2016
    If you are up for parlor larp there are many, many games of that scale.

Check out the Larps from the Factory for example.
  • Thanks everyone, these are some great resources.

Not certain a straight parlour LARP will fly with my crowd, but with 10+ people that's the atmosphere that will be generated anyway. @Jason_Morningstar, would you recommend a good introduction?

Vox Populi looks like a good middle-ground but I might try adjust it to include some Fiasco-style scenario resolution. Try push it slightly into LARGP territory.