Anyone have experiences w/ "Cryptomancy" RPG?

I just came across an RPG recently which seems to bill itself as an RPG about hacking in a fantasy setting. I was wondering if anyone here's played it and has any opinions they'd care to share about whether the emergent gameplay actually evokes the "hacker" feeling and action that the pitch tries to evoke.

Comments

• I came close to playing but when I saw the hardcore death spiral in this game I canceled all my plans for it.

My personal disappointment aside, the autor constructs a network system that is very ideosyncratic but only very distantly related to real world networks (e.g. all networks are always-broadcast networks). Still, you *CAN* probe this construct for weak operational security or get passwordz with social enigeering (disgruntled employees,torture,blackmail or mind reading). If this kind of hacking - following the autor into his ideosycratic systems rabbit hole in a grimdark world - is your thing, the game will work fine.

It is a workman-like, post-Dungeon-World-savvy design. It just features design descisions that make it an alomst complete failure for me.

I know you wanted AP experience, from the above post I gather you have only very few facts, and I can at least offer you what i gathered from the complete readthrough of the game.
  • I've read the book, but not played it.

I couldn't get past the "directory listing" (i.e., table of contents) at the front of the book that shows "/root/ls -lad" as the command. Clearly, they should be using /bin/ls, and shouldn't be using -d (which without another parameter, would show only the directory the user is in). It made me suspect immediately that the author didn't necessarily understand real-world hacking stuff.

That aside, there's a lot of clever stuff in Cryptomancy.
  • I came close to playing but when I saw the hardcore death spiral in this game I canceled all my plans for it.
    That you for checking out the game! I recently released a free expansion to Cryptomancer, Code & Dagger: Volume I, that provides alternative campaign rules allowing a more heroic ending (namely, storming the Spire and taking the Risk Eaters head on). Code & Dagger is free and you already own it... I added it the the files for the Cryptomancer download at DriveThruRPG, so if you go back and look, it's there!
  • I couldn't get past the "directory listing" (i.e., table of contents) at the front of the book that shows "/root/ls -lad" as the command.
    Totally correct! I blew it on some of the Linux commands because I was doing it from memory, at the last minute. I should have tested all bash commands before pushing my game to production. I will be editing that soon (along with a few grammar and typos in the primary text). However, Code & Dagger has a ton more Linux-fu to critique if you're interested in taking a look.
  • (I actually did get past it and read the entire book. It's a really cool book.)
  • (I actually did get past it and read the entire book. It's a really cool book.)
    Awesome, thank you! But I still think it's an important call out. Especially in IT and security, there is a very real and justifiable insistence on credibility and authority. The game's subtext is that the authors know what they are talking about, and that slip-up shakes that subtext.