another GMless game kickstarter.... you know the kind

i didn't win the popularity contest, so. this game is going to struggle on kickstarter for the next 30 days. it is, however, completed. and really good. but. i'm not a celebrity like some people. so. you'll probably hear about this once. and never again. you'll forget about it. and move on to something popular. which makes sense. quality can only be found in the hands of people who are well-known.

like kanye west.

and scott baio.

so. check it out. or don't. it won't matter. it's a solid new way to play gmless games (with five finished games in the system). but it's likely none of your friends have heard of it. so. neither will you.

thanks for your time.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/218255739/king-of-storms

Comments

• Deffo gonna back this one, but can you tell me what type of stuff is in the books? I have been really trying to not buy hardcopies of stuff unless I really need to repeatedly pass them around the table.
  • the rules, the advice, most of the stuff you already know if you're a good gmless player. there's a lot of hand-holding in this one.
  • Do you think it's best through a teacher or through the text? In other words, should I have a book to pass around or just print out a couple of pages for reference and teach it myself?
  • hopefully, the book provides a good blow-by-blow account of the game. if not. i will be constructing some samples of play on the KS page. the pdf and book come with lots of reference pages.
  • In your mind, does this game supersede Protocol?
  • Ah, great! As Abraham Lincoln once said, "Thank you."
  • In your mind, does this game supersede Protocol?
    i think it's much more advanced version of protocol. it borrows the scene concepts, but everything else is new and deeper. the stories are deeper for sure. protocol is still a two-hour movie. praxis is more like an 800-page novel.
  • please check out the latest update

free game coming at 300 backers

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/218255739/king-of-storms/posts/1678256
  • three days left and one of these games is gone forever
  • Feel free to respond to discussion about the game, Jim, but lay off the bumping just for advertising sake.
  • i had no idea that was a thing. okay.
  • Hi Jim,

Well, it looks like the kickstarter campaign worked out for you. What would you say were some of the main elements that contributed to the success?

Thanks,

--Jonathan
  • Also, I was looking into your Kickstarter post in more detail. How much work did you put into this? Wow
  • i really don't know what the success was. maybe over a dozen successful kickstarters? i don't know. honest.
  • I understand if you want to keep your secret sauce to yourself. :)
  • haha. i'm not trying to keep it a secret. i honestly don't know what went right this time. i could venture some guesses, but some of it might sound arrogant. so. i'm avoiding saying those things.

maybe it was the art..... and i had nothing to do with it.
  • @jim pinto
    I think it was the art, the presentation, the flippant humor, a great deal for a bunch of games and this:

"I think it's much more advanced version of protocol. it borrows the scene concepts, but everything else is new and deeper. the stories are deeper for sure. protocol is still a two-hour movie. praxis is more like an 800-page novel."

By the way, Jim. If someone missed the Kickstarter can they still get in on the deal?
  • hi jeff. maybe. what kind of deal are we looking at. i won't do anything illegal.
  • Hahaha :)
    I was hoping for:

Stormtrooper IV

Softcover Edition of:
    King of Storms
    The Lambs
    Odin's Eye
    Of the Flesh
    Black Monk

For $81
  • e-mail me

postworldgames
    gmail
  • I'll always back an RPG that compares itself to a novel instead of a dang movie. Next, let's all do a radio drama!
  • Jim wrote:
    haha. i'm not trying to keep it a secret. i honestly don't know what went right this time. i could venture some guesses, but some of it might sound arrogant. so. i'm avoiding saying those things.
    Ah, ok! It's kind of like how my stupidest Reddit post was the one that got the most upvotes, and I was left scratching my head for the next several days.

Well, if I can make some observations of my own:

1. It was really well presented
    2. You didn't ask for a lot of money, yet you had a bunch of awesome stretch goals
    3. You made it sound like you knew what you were doing

Compare with this one:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1541214052/bats-outta-hell-lets-try-this-again?ref=category_newest

The authors are basically remaking Snakes & Ladders from the look of it. They admit they just recently got scammed, thus leading the reader to doubt their competence. They're asking for WAY too much money, and not really mentioning what they plan on spending the money on (just some vague mention of needing to incorporate, but that doesn't cost $50k!).

--Jonathan
  • it doesn't hurt that this was my 14th kickstarter
  • Practice makes perfect!
  • Have you spoken elsewhere about your first kickstarter? what's the biggest difference in your approach from the first to the fourteenth?
  • the first one was about 4.5 years ago. i had barely joined facebook. i had no network. and i wasn't even planning on starting a game company. i just had an idea for a fantasy adventure that my gaming group loved and i wanted to publish it. i've been working in the hobby for 20 years, but i've never had to market my own work. and i don't like it. so. any success now is due to producing good work. i suppose.
  • Well, I thought the Kickstarter campaign was well done, so looks like you've learned how to market whether you like it or not ;)
  • edited October 2016
    Funny, was just reading some Protocol and Praxis games and thinking about running one for SGAM (Solo Gamer Appreciation Month is kind of a mash up of NaGaDeMon and NaNoWriMo and is, of course, in November.) It could be an interesting exercise in structured story telling with enough randomness to keep even the author guessing.

[For those that are curious... SGAM https://plus.google.com/communities/103282353365722289947]